1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Dodge Dakota Convertible, what to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Dodge Dakota Convertible, what to pay?

I have the opportunity to buy a 1989 dodge dakota convertible 2x4 3.9. what should i expect to pay for the truck? Its in decent shape but is currently not running.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 AM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur

btw its a 5 spped and turns out its a 4x4 with ac. red and white with red/white interior.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Not running is kind of a big deal, I think. I don't know what you should pay, but can give you this as guidance:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4014705639.html

My feeling is that the one in Tucson is probably over priced, a bit at least. There was another one here in Tucson earlier this year that was $1200. Not looking for another truck, I didn't even go have a peek.

Imho, the 5 speed and 4wd are features to the good, tho the 4wd does increase the complexity of the truck, too. I can just imagine bashing around out in the toolies with the top down (and a proper role cage installed.)

While the convertible is a rarity, it's also a 25 year old truck with all the possible problems (and the addition of a convertible top that might be on it's last legs or leaky.) You can reasonably expect to have to put more money into the truck in the near future.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 09-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:58 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur

thanks, and yes it not running is a bit of a big deal. I was planning on pulling a another motor (maybe 318)/PCM.

Would that decrease the value of the truck, they are rare. Of course i would keep the 3.9

I saw mixxed pricing, some on ebay for 2-4k, others on barrett jackson for 7k, some on oddle for 8-12k (12k for a 90 convert, blue, 4x4,ac), part cars for 300-500 and some on other websites 1-3k.

I am more interested in the truck then the resell ATM. I am sure down the road it may become more valuable but the idea of a convert dakota is awesome.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a one owner 90 vert...supposedly the 1st one off the assembly line for model year 90, although yet to confirm. I bought it non-running too, but complete. Truck was in the process of being freshened up with a rebuilt 3.9, when the couple divorced. I paid sub 2K, but the body and interior are near perfect with 150K miles. I've been wrestling with the same decision....engine swap or stock. We've decided on swapping in a 360...probably keep the 3.9 in case we ever want to go back. Even though rare, for whatever reason, the value doesn't equal the rarity, so I doubt swapping engines would significantly reduce the value, since there's just not alot to reduce to begin with. If it were a pristine, low mileage truck, then maybe, but one that's got higher mileage and normal wear and tear, I think you'd be safe in retaining value with the engine swap. The better driveability/coolness would offset any deficit from removing the 3.9, IMO.

Last edited by robertmee; 09-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

BTW, I've been researching this engine swap for over a month, and there's lots to consider. Not as straight forward as doing say a 92-95 v8 year swap. The 89, 90's are unique with TBI setup instead of MPI, and the shorter nose/engine bay presents some challenges. A 4x4 is actually harder than a 2x4 and less desireable to swap for me. And the manual 5 speed presents some issues too. I'm going with a 2wd, Auto swap, so a little more straightforward. I've been back and forth on whether to retain TBI, go full EFI, or go Carb. All have their advantages/disadvantages of course, so it depends ultimately on what you want out of the truck.

My goal is to build a moderate street/strip truck with a bit of growl...not a daily driver.

Last edited by robertmee; 09-13-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM
redragtop
Default I own a convertible

I bought my 89 convertible in 2005 and drove it home. I paid just under $3000 for it and consider that a great value for what I got. I expect any truck in decent shape should bring up close to $2000 with good rubber, etc. The convertibles will increase in value simply because they were built as a novelty and only for a year and a half. Some are selling now for over $5000 and I think that is not out of line for a future collectible. I am building a second one that has been wrecked now and hope to have it running next spring. As far as putting a V8 in one, I don't see the necessity. The V6 has plenty of power. If you plan on pulling a camper get a bigger truck. If you want a hot rod, buy an old 60s something and fix it up. Putting a V8 into the 89 is going to be a pain and you will end up having to move the radiator, change some mounts, probably do some rewiring, and if you use a Fuel Injected engine, that adds all sorts of complications.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redragtop
If you want a hot rod, buy an old 60s something and fix it up.
Couldn't disagree more....Go to any car show or cruise in and you'll see the same 100 or so Chevy, Mopar, Ford 60's cars hotrodded. BORING. Dare to be different. I bought the ragtop dakota because it is A) limited production, B) different, and C) not everyone has hot rodded one.

I don't disagree that it's not a challenge, but what's the fun in doing the routine?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
90droptop

I agree with the pricing redragtop mentions, but whats wrong with a hot rod drop top Dakota. Fun on the cheap. A fraction of 60s something money.
Non running I would say value around 900-1500. I paid 500 for a non fixable salt water flood victim. Worth that in convertible parts alone.
As far as a V8 swap, done right I don't think it would affect value. As long as you get the PCM that matches the motor , it is pretty much plug and play, from 92-96. Electric fan setup like the Shelby Daks used would be needed. They are dual pushers between grill and radiator. Mounts would be the same , I'm pretty sure. The 3.9 is a 5.2 minus 2cyls.
I think the 5spd is a more desirable trans also. That's
what I have in my 2x4. Sporty ride...couldn't imagine an automatic.
Robertmee, I would be curious to see how early your truck was made. What is the production date of your truck? I think it would be hard to determine at what point your truck was converted. I would imagine they had more than one truck being converted at a time. I doubt it was assembly line style. ASC received fully assembled trucks. All the trim and interior needed to be removed and set aside for later reassembly on the same truck. So it was probably a guy or team of guys assigned to a truck.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Trying to find that out myself...original owner said they contacted dodge and were told it was #1 and built Aug 89. I sent vin to dodge for build sheet but it doesn't have build date...is there a way to tell?

Quick Reply: 1989 Dodge Dakota Convertible, what to pay?