1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck won't crank after transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Willy_B
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't crank after transmission fluid change

1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2L

Just as the title says, my truck will not crank after I just changed the transmission fluid/filter. It is currently on jackstands. I tried to start it to get the fluid going to check for leaks before I put the front driveshaft back on, but she will not crank or turn over. All lights come on in the truck, nothing happens when I turn the key full on...

Please help!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Willy_B
Amateur

well, the truck starts now. The linkage is messed up for some reason.

My father and I tried to start it in park or neutral and nothing, but noticed the reverse light was on when in Park. I put it in Reverse, and it started (the truck thinks its in Neutral when in Reverse). In Neutral the truck is in Drive.... I have no idea how this happened as I did not touch any linkage while replacing the fluid.

Is a simple adjustment needed or is there something else that has to be done?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

An adjustment of the Neutral Safety Switch on the transmission. It may be called by something else, but it's the switch that tells the rest of the car that you're in Neutral or Park.

Also, typically does the reverse lights on later transmissions, dunno about the '93 wiring.

(Those are separate switches on my 1988, but the same switch on my 1991 Cougar.)

RwP

Old 12-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Willy_B
Amateur

Thanks for the reply Ralph. The truck is fine now.

After I put her back on the ground, she shifted into Park, Reverse,Neutral, etc...
I guess having it raised stretched the linkage or something....

Is this something to be concerned with? Is it normal for the truck to do that when raised?

Old 12-24-2014, 06:26 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Originally Posted by Willy_B
I guess having it raised stretched the linkage or something....

Is this something to be concerned with? Is it normal for the truck to do that when raised?
No, that's not normal.

How did you raise it? Dakota is a framed rig, not uni-body, right?

Some T-case linkages and Trans linkages have mounts on the body, and the drivetrain.

If the body shifts, (and you have this style set up) it could very well move the linkage.

But I can only see that happening if you lifted it from the cab/body and not the frame,

or the frame and cab got twisted when raised,

or the cab mounts are so loose the cab shifted when raised.

Regardless of the cause, it's not normal, and should be checked out.

Would really suck to hit the brakes, and have the trans linkage shift into reverse.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Willy_B
Amateur

I lifted the truck from the frame, just as I have done numerous times. Just thought it was weird that it chose this time to cause a problem with the linkage.

Now that I'm thinking about it, when removing the front driveshaft for the trans pan clearance, i may have hit the linkage... Im thinking the linkage altered then changed back as I moved the truck around... I checked all the linkage under the cab and in the engine bay, but all seemed fine. No problems with shifting since..

Changed the diff fluid yesterday and did not have the right wrench to drain the transfer case fluid... A large crescent was too bulky. Does anyone know if the drain and fill plugs for the transfer case are 1-3/16"?

Old 12-27-2014, 01:09 AM
HillBillE
Professional

Originally Posted by Willy_B
.........., when removing the front driveshaft for the trans pan clearance, i may have hit the linkage... Im thinking the linkage altered then changed back as I moved the truck around...
Very possible, I have had that happen my Jeeps when dropping the front shaft.

Not positive on the wrench size, but I think you are right with the 1 3/16"

All my jeep T-cases use allen wrench plugs, and haven't had to mess with my '09 yet.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:44 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it's actually a 30mm hex head for the fill & drain plugs...but 1 3/16" is almost exactly the same, so that should work. Definitely get a 6-point socket.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Willy_B
Amateur

Thanks for the reply gents. Tbugden is right, its a 30mm. Took me a long time to get the right size, then I realized I could look up a replacement plug that would give me the correct size. Looked it up on Oreily's website. Had to buy a whole wrench kit from HF since they did not sell 30mm singles.

All fluids are changed and she drives smoother than before.

Quick Reply: Truck won't crank after transmission fluid change