1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

picked up a 231d transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default picked up a 231d transfer case

Well after quite awhile I finally found a 91 231d transfer case on craigslist. I have been looking for a 88-92. FWIW the earlier trucks are getting harder to find. 2nd gen. are all over the place, at least in my neck of the woods!!
My plans are to get it rebuilt. May do it myself. Also I want to have the nv3500 transmission gone through by my friend who is a transmission mechanic.
I have already installed an external electric fuel pump, my next project, hopefully is going to be, installing an intrepid fan between the condenser and the radiator.
Over the summer I will be looking for a 5.9 magnum. Maybe re-ring it, new bearings, oil pump, and a timing set. Hopefully that will be all it will need. But you know how that goes.....
I already have a holley street advendger 670cfm carb. I still need a intake, and a hei dist.
Then all the misc. stuff, flywheel, clutch, exhaust, etc.
Here are a few pictures

transfer case
Name:  20160512_173019_zpso57dpaun.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  269.9 KB

And here I slid it on the transmission
Name:  20160512_173350_zpsyymxords.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  233.6 KB

Old 05-12-2016, 07:25 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Well after quite awhile I finally found a 91 231d transfer case on craigslist. I have been looking for a 88-92. FWIW the earlier trucks are getting harder to find. 2nd gen. are all over the place, at least in my neck of the woods!!
My plans are to get it rebuilt. May do it myself. Also I want to have the nv3500 transmission gone through by my friend who is a transmission mechanic.
I have already installed an external electric fuel pump, my next project, hopefully is going to be, installing an intrepid fan between the condenser and the radiator.
Over the summer I will be looking for a 5.9 magnum. Maybe re-ring it, new bearings, oil pump, and a timing set. Hopefully that will be all it will need. But you know how that goes.....
I already have a holley street advendger 670cfm carb. I still need a intake, and a hei dist.
Then all the misc. stuff, flywheel, clutch, exhaust, etc.
Here are a few pictures

transfer case

And here I slid it on the transmission
Awesome....I search CL everyday for the chance at a 87 to 90 being parted out...always need something. And you're right...they're getting scarce. Even the local junk yards are empty. I do have a guy about an hour away that specializes in gen 1 dakotas so I can usually get the hard to find stuff from him...my last one was an intact red console.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you found the T-case! With that and the NV3500, you've accomplished what are probably the most difficult finds for your project, IMHO. I remember trying to decide whether to rebuild the T-case myself or pay someone to do it. I eventually decided to do it myself, and truthfully, it wasn't very hard. You need some good snap ring pliers, but the bearings drive out (and in) pretty easy, with one exception; the needle bearings that support the rear of the front output shaft. The difficulty there is that where the bearing is driven into the case it's only accessible from the front, the back is blocked by the case. It has to be pulled out, no way to drive it out.

If you're interested, I'll look up the part# for the rebuild kit and chain I bought. I was happy with the name-brand Japanese bearings in the kit, as opposed to the Chinese bearings I found for it at NAPA.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:13 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Hey Robert, thanks for your input. FWIW I was looking at those Skip White distributors. I plan to try one. I don't see how that it can be American made for that price though!! I was looking at the clearance on my v6 distributor to the firewall, and I believe there is plenty of clearance. Hopefully, the standard GM hei internal parts are interchangeable.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Ragged, if you could send me those numbers I would appreciate it. I was looking on rockauto and they have 2 kits. One is a Timken and it looks to be just bearings. They also have a sfk and it has more parts in it. But as to the quality I have no idea. Anymore, brand names do not necessary guarantee quality.
Also, if you know of a good source for transmission parts I would be interested in hearing about that.
I have a good friend who for 30+ years has worked a bench rebuilding automatic transmissions. That is his speciality, but he can do manuals as well. We trade labor, I do his HVAC work and he does my transmissions. I think I can get him to do both parts for me but I will need to supply parts.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ragged, if you could send me those numbers I would appreciate it. I was looking on rockauto and they have 2 kits. One is a Timken and it looks to be just bearings. They also have a sfk and it has more parts in it. But as to the quality I have no idea. Anymore, brand names do not necessary guarantee quality.
Also, if you know of a good source for transmission parts I would be interested in hearing about that.
I have a good friend who for 30+ years has worked a bench rebuilding automatic transmissions. That is his speciality, but he can do manuals as well. We trade labor, I do his HVAC work and he does my transmissions. I think I can get him to do both parts for me but I will need to supply parts.
I buy Transmission stuff from PATC http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Last edited by robertmee; 05-13-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I thumb up PATC ... but I'm biased, they're home town folks for me *grins*

RwP

Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up purchasing from "Drive Train Parts Las Vegas", known as "drivetrainlasvegas" on eBay. I bought the "BK231" kit, described as follows:

Transfer Case Bearing Overhaul / Rebuild Kit for NP231

Fits GM - Dodge & Jeep w/NP231 T Case–1987 to 2001 w/24mm wide Input Bearing

This Transfer Case Has A Wide 24mm Input Bearing. If Your Transfer Case Has A 16mm Wide Input Bearing Please See Our Other BK231A Kit in our Ebay Store
Our BK231 Kit Includes – OEM Level , Seals - O-Rings - Adapter Gasket - Small Parts Kit - Fork Inserts - Planet Washers - Main Roller Bearings and Caged Needle Bearings

The chain is not included in the kit. I purchased that, part# 11650, from the same seller:

Fits: NP231 and NP233, 1-Inch Width with 30 Links, Jeep Wrangler (YJ) 1987-1995, (TJ) 1997-2006, Cherokee (XJ) 1984-2001Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 1993-1997

The seller was helpful over the phone. Helped me determine which kit I needed. I had to measure the width of the big input bearing that supports the main shaft where it mates up to the trans - it was 24MM.

I've heard that the NV3500 is not an easy transmission to rebuild, at least not for someone without the proper tools. Apparently it is best tackled with the proper jigs/stands to keep everything in place. I visually inspected mine through the top plate and by checking the fluid for debri. There was some metal on the magnet, but no more than I would expect, and the fluid looked good otherwise. Turning it I listened for any noise, or rough feeling; it passed that OK so I refilled it with Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid. The Synchromesh won't harm the metals (like bronze) used in some parts of this transmission and it meets the
Chrysler MS-9224 recommendation for lubrication. I wish I had someone I trusted to check the transmission before I put it in, but I didn't. Now that it's in though, it seems to be fine, shifts are smooth and quiet.

Allpar has a great write-up on the NV3500 here:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/NV3500.html

Old 05-22-2016, 02:54 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Im sorry I took so long to get back. I got called away, and after today may be called away again. So please bear with me.
Ragged, those prices look good. About $160.00 in the kit and chain.
FWIW the case seems smooth. But I can tell there is some slack in the chain.
I have not got a chance to talk to my buddy yet. As you said, (in a nicer way) the nv3500 is not something for some dummy like me to take apart!!
If he has any doubts, he will walk away from it and send me to someone else. With the nv3500 my main concern is, the input shaft where the shaft rides in the pilot bearing, seems to have a grove wore in it. I would just like to get it checked out if possible.
Thanks again for the numbers and advise!!

Quick Reply: picked up a 231d transfer case