1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Radiator Swap problems....solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:53 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragged89
Well, if you're an idiot at least you've got company - I'm equally puzzled. So, just to keep the crazy train going, I have to say I don't think the Shelby had motor mounts that were unique. Looking at RockAuto (yeah, I know), the motor mounts for the '89 V6 and the '89 Shelby are the same part. I believe the V6 mounts work for the V8 because the most important factor in locating the motor (for Dodge anyway), would be to ensure the rear of the motor ends up in the right place for their transmissions to then meet the trans support crossmember. Remember, the V6 made use of the V8 drive train components (less re-engineering). Shelby found a way that works, but I'm reasonably sure it wasn't by relocating where the motor sits relative to the rest of the drive train.

In your picture with the crate motor in place, how far did you have to tilt the core support forward? Without the fenders on I found it wasn't easy to judge exactly when the core support was in the right position, and if the radiator isn't original that may impact final clearance too. Even if your components are OK, you know it's going to be really close. My Magnum setup is 1.5" away from the radiator - is the LA snout more than 1.5" longer than the Magnum snout?
Yes, it's 1.7 inches longer

Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I believe you are correct on the shelby being 89 only, as well as the 91 being the first v8 (other then shelby) Therefore making the shelby the only short nosed dakota with a v8
But where are you getting the info that the motor was moved back?
BTW when I measure tomorrow, I will try to take pictures of my tape or ruler so we can make sure we are on the same page!!
On a couple of the shelby threads, owners said that the mounts were moved back. We're only talking a couple of inches needed, so about the only thing that would need to change is the drive shaft, and maybe the transmission tail mount position.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

And the radiator is from a 91, but I also have my original 90 radiator and it is the same.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Posted from a shelby owner "It was 1989 was the first year. Shelby Dakota it had a true la 318 in it not a magnum. It took special motor mounts [ which I have ] and frame mounts that are no longer avb.. It was efi and ran elec. fans to fit the motors in the flat nose trucks. Then in 91 they bumped out the nose to run a clutch fan. Then in 92 they went to the magnums so they could run the same mounts as the v6, it was cheaper that way."

Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Article here also suggests Shelby had unique mounts:

https://books.google.com/books?id=x6...sition&f=false

Old 07-08-2016, 12:02 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
On a couple of the shelby threads, owners said that the mounts were moved back. We're only talking a couple of inches needed, so about the only thing that would need to change is the drive shaft, and maybe the transmission tail mount position.
Even if Shelby had to use a unique mount, say because the Magnum-style wasn't yet available, it wouldn't make sense to set the engine back 2 inches and have to then redesign the tranny crossmember and the driveshaft, not to mention how it affects transmission linkage, bell housing bolt access, exhaust connections, etc. Different mount maybe, but different position? Just sayin', 'cause I don't have a Shelby to verify . If I were Carroll Shelby I would have just used a different radiator - like you proposed in the beginning. By the way, that Shelby radiator does not look like the V6 radiator mine came with.

Last edited by ragged89; 07-08-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:37 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Also, I just measured from the center of my distributor cap (center of the coil wire connection) straight back to the firewall and got 3 7/8".
Yes, I measured 4" on mine. That was eyeballing the center of the cap.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

With the water pump out now, let me sit the core at a right angle to the frame (assume that's how it should sit), and I'll measure the space I have to work with. I'll swap in the old V6 radiator too, just to see if I gain/lose anything. The radiator in that one shelby picture does look alot thinner. It also looks more flush to the core whereas the one in mine has about a 1/4" offset. I have a feeling, every tenth of an inch is going to count.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Even if Shelby had to use a unique mount, say because the Magnum-style wasn't yet available, it wouldn't make sense to set the engine back 2 inches and have to then redesign the tranny crossmember and the driveshaft, not to mention how it affects transmission linkage, bell housing bolt access, exhaust connections, etc.
I don't think it would be 2 inches. If I could gain 3/4" somewhere, I think it would be enough. If that's all Shelby did, it would just require moving the cross member bolt holes on the frame back 3/4" and a shorter driveshaft. The transmission linkage wouldn't change...it moves with the engine so the relative distance between the two stays the same. And the bell hump is plenty big to accommodate 3/4". Not saying that's what Shelby did, but it's not a huge change at all.

Quick Reply: Radiator Swap problems....solution?