1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hemi in a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
It wouldn't be hard to remove the excess stuff you can't use in the harness. Removing it from the ECU is a bit tougher, you'd have to buy an hptuners kit and use their software to remove the stuff you can't use. I've done it before witha couple ls engines. IDK if I had the money and the space I would do it. I'd love to get the body on my 93 done then while everything is off the frame drop a hemi engine and trans in. As far as guages go... Some sheet aluminum and autometers would look good instead of stock cluster..... Hmmmm dammit, anyone want to donate like 50k to me
That's what sponsors are for.

Your Hellcat motor in a dakota project.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See that's just going too far bud lol
my idea is for a completely "stock" truck for the most part. Simple and straightforward swap. Nothing crazy, simple and as lean as you can make the swap, maybe even using an aluminum block. Think about it, a 392 hemi, 8spd auto in a 4x4. Small lift maybe 4 or 5inches total between suspension and body. 32x11.50s, lsd in the rear end and an exhaust that fairly quiet until you get on it. Something as light as the daks with that much power. That's a scary combo all by itself

Old 10-26-2018, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
See that's just going too far bud lol
my idea is for a completely "stock" truck for the most part. Simple and straightforward swap. Nothing crazy, simple and as lean as you can make the swap, maybe even using an aluminum block. Think about it, a 392 hemi, 8spd auto in a 4x4. Small lift maybe 4 or 5inches total between suspension and body. 32x11.50s, lsd in the rear end and an exhaust that fairly quiet until you get on it. Something as light as the daks with that much power. That's a scary combo all by itself
Would certainly be a fun toy.

Maybe look for a 3rd or 4th gen ram that got whacked in the side/rear, buy the whole thing.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

I've already looked bud. There's a few at the yard in Harrison that are either roll over or rear end totaled. Price is Ridiculous though. Maybe one day after I hit the lotto I'll buy another dak and turn that one into a long term resto-mod and I'll put a hemi in that one. I've got til April to get mine done and I just bought a parts truck from Florida so I now have all my sheet metal to fix or replace everything on mine

Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Easy_A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a pair of damaged hemi's for sale on CL nearby me in Hamilton OH. Could try rebuilding or use as a core to send to a reman place. And you can't beat $125 for 2 engines...
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pt...728228897.html

Old 10-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

True but the idea is to do it completely on a budget. Keep it cheap as possible and limit the amount of time work and money spent. So heyyous idea of a wrecked vehicle is the right idea. You could get literally everything you need aside from exhaust and driveshafts and engine,trans mounts. May need some small parts but that won't cost much. Building your own mounts would be easy if you had a parts truck, you just cut up the frame and start building. Exhaust..... Well.... You might be able to get away just building some adapter pipes to go from your stock y pipe to the stock hemi manifolds.....

But yeah I've been doing way too much research on all of this lately

Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You get the engine in the truck, and running, then get a hold of me. I have access to a fully equipped shop, complete with pipe bender, and we can custom make anything you need.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Soon as I can afford it man. You aren't too far a drive from me. Hell I'd be happy with a mandrel bent y pipe for my truck as it is. The one that's on there has restrictions where it was bent from the factory and I'm not a fan of that. Hey I did find a set of real Mopar performance headers with the cross over kit on CL. They say it's for the 2nd gen daks and Durango's with the 318 and 4x4. What's the chance of them fitting in a first gen dak

Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't have a mandrel bender, unfortunately. (they were much more expensive when my buddy was buying equipment.....) It does crimp the pipes at the bends, and the more serious the bend, the more serious the crimp...... Just start out with larger diameter pipe.

I don't know how much changed under the truck from first to second gen on these.....

Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my '93 3.9L extended cab 2WD (wish it was 4WD). Mine would be perfect for putting 5.7 hemi in, I think. My frame, body, etc. is in almost perfect condition, no rust, body is tight, would be the perfect Dakota for a swap. Actually, I've never thought of it until I read this thread! It'd need the transmission, differential/axle too I assume. What about front and rear springs and the brakes? I just did a complete brake job on mine, new fluid, pads, but have the rear drums. I guess I'd need rear disk, stronger springs too, eh? If I could do this for about $4,000, I just might go for it! Probably cost more...