1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hemi in a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have done a lot of reading, and research on swapping to a V8 in my 87 V6 4wd 5spd truck........
The 3 options I have considered are
1. 5.2 or 5.9 magnum
2. LS engine. 5.3 or 6.0
3. Hemi. 5.7 or ?

The first option is the choice I have decided to go with.
Below are my plans and why.
1. The magnum will bolt in.....
2. I can find a complete engine for $500-$800 in decent shape. (I prefer the 5.9)
Pull it down enough to inspect bearings etc, put back together with new gaskets, hopefully.
If not, will have to consider rebuild and cost at that point.
3. Use a edelbrock 7577 intake along with a holley 670cfm carb
The intake cost $350.00 and the carb, I already have
4. probably use a GM style HEI distributor. $69.00 (robertmee used this dist.)
5. misc, ie. v8 dakota oil pan, etc. Factory V8 dakota exhaust, or aftermarket replacements should work. In short, most any factory parts for a 5.2, 92-96 dakota will work......
At this point, I will go from a 125hp 195tq to 250hp and 350tq engine.
Considering the 1st gen design, ie brakes, steering, frame, size, etc. This should be more then enough power.
If latter, I want more, EQ heads, a street friendly cam, somewhere around 212-218 dur. 500-550 lift, along with decent exhaust will put the motor in the 350-375hp range for $2000 or so.
IMO this is going to be the most economical, easiest to do, and will provide more then enough power for the 1st gen dakota.......

My second choice was a LS conversion....
In short the advantages are
1. compact design, 2in shorter then the magnum
2. Aftermarket support is the best.
3. motor mounts available....
4. Much higher HP levels can be obtained.
5. Stand alone wiring harness is much easier and cheaper, assuming you stayed with Fuel Injection.
6. Price, across the board, are very reasonable.
Disadvantages are
1. You are putting a GM motor in a Mopar, and to many this is a sin!!!
2. All the unknown, ie. speedometer, exhaust, transmission mounts, transfer case, driveshafts, clutch, etc. The Devil is in the details.

My third choice was a hemi.....
Advantages are
1. It stays Mopar
2. IMO there would be no cooler swap.....
3. Capable of high hp.

Disadvantages are
1. Cost, for the motor, tuning, and any aftermarket support......
2. Most complex to install and get running....
3. physically bigger.....
4. motor mounts.
5. All the unknowns, ie. speedometer, exhaust, transmission mounts, transfer case, driveshafts, clutch, etc. Again, the Devil is in the details.

Before trying any of these swaps, I believe we should consider the following
1. Money, if this $1,000.00 swap turns into a $5,000.00 swap, am I willing to finish it? (magnum)
2. If this $4,000.00 swap turns into a $20,000.00+ swap am I willing to finish it? (LS or Hemi)
3. Do I have the shop, the equipment, outside sources, and knowledge to finish this swap?
4. Is it going to be worth it in the end?

Go back through the archives of this forum, and look at all the modified vehicles that were started, but you dont see an end....
Again, consider your capabilities and money before starting!!

Again, Nothing cooler then a first gen. dakota with a hemi!! but at what cost?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ragtop I agree. Luckily I already have a 5.2 auto 4x4. And this truck is getting restored. I plan on still having it in 10-20 years which is why I'm taking my time and doing it right.
if I had the money, if I had the time, if I had all the tools needed, if I had an extra truck..... Then I'd actually consider doing a long term project with a hemi. Speedo exh and all that wouldn't be hard to figure out. But at the same time I love the magnums. And if I went hemi I'd rather do it in a second gen 4x4

Old 12-29-2021, 12:16 AM
Colinwhalen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ram 5.9 motor and trans install into a 02 ram chassis.

. I am in need of some knowledge on how to retrofit this wire harness to work for this swap.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Colinwhalen
. I am in need of some knowledge on how to retrofit this wire harness to work for this swap.
Are you putting a hemi into a dakota? If not, you need to post in the correct section for what you are driving, and tell us what you are trying to do. What the original motor is, and what you are trying to drop in would be good too.