1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hemi in a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Just razzin you two over the LS engines!!

But all joking aside, my thoughts were $1795.00 for the electronics, hopefully could find a complete motor for $2,000.00 in good shape, then this would leave us with adapting it to an existing transmission, (in my case a NV3500) exhaust work, and motor mounts.
That, I believe would be the main items to overcome.
IF, this could be done for 4-5 thousand dollars, IMO it would be a pretty good deal considering 383 hp and 425 lbs tq.
To get a 5.9 magnum around those numbers, with other things required to swap it in to a dakota is probably going to cost close to the 4-5 thousand dollar range when done, and it will not be as efficient, or have the street manners that the hemi would.
Just my thoughts.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Just razzin you two over the LS engines!!

But all joking aside, my thoughts were $1795.00 for the electronics, hopefully could find a complete motor for $2,000.00 in good shape, then this would leave us with adapting it to an existing transmission, (in my case a NV3500) exhaust work, and motor mounts.
That, I believe would be the main items to overcome.
IF, this could be done for 4-5 thousand dollars, IMO it would be a pretty good deal considering 383 hp and 425 lbs tq.
To get a 5.9 magnum around those numbers, with other things required to swap it in to a dakota is probably going to cost close to the 4-5 thousand dollar range when done, and it will not be as efficient, or have the street manners that the hemi would.
Just my thoughts.
I'm not as brand devoted as I sound, I think I just like to take up the challange of an "under-dog" position, if you know what I mean. The money estimate would probably creep up due to a few challenges (fuel tank and lines, oil pan, etc.), but still not bad if you want to do what's not been done before. Is the NV3500 up to that kind of torque? I guess that depends on how much restraint you can exercise.

Last edited by ragged89; 11-10-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:42 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

By the fact that we all have chosen 1st gen dakota's to modify, says we like going with the underdog!! Next to no aftermarket support makes these trucks a challenge to modify.
Even though I doubt I would ever try to put a hemi in my dakota, Im glad to see some options such as the mopar EFI swap kit out on the market now.

FWIW 425lbs torque in a dakota is going to create some traction problems!

Old 11-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragged89
I'm not as brand devoted as I sound, I think I just like to take up the challange of an "under-dog" position, if you know what I mean. The money estimate would probably creep up due to a few challenges (fuel tank and lines, oil pan, etc.), but still not bad if you want to do what's not been done before. Is the NV3500 up to that kind of torque? I guess that depends on how much restraint you can exercise.
5.7 hank has been done before. So has a 4bt and 5.9 Cummins.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 PM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
5.7 hank has been done before. So has a 4bt and 5.9 Cummins.
True, I posted a picture of a 5.7 hemi gen 1, so I expected someone would call me out on that. But, a 5.7 Shelby Dak is a different animal than a non-Shelby, and so is a 4WD, or a manual vs. an automatic. So I left that specificity out because anyone that does it will likely have a one-of-one. If you know of more than the one Shelby, I would love to see a link. I'm not too much of a diesel fan though, I just sold one last week.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Just my opinion here, but I will be sticking with my plans of a 5.9 carbed magnum. Price more reasonable and will have plenty of power for me. Heck, for that matter the 3.9 has enough for what I do!!
But never the less, Im glad to see aftermarket support, such as the conversion kit being offered for the hemi.
IMO the hemi or LS would be a better motor then the carbed magnum I plan to use, but for me, they would not be worth the expense or trouble to put in.
Thanks to the likes of ragged 89, robertmee, and others, well they have shown us what is needed to swap in a magnum V8 in a early dakota, and there post makes it much less of a headache for the rest of us!!
I neither, have much interest in putting a diesel in a dakota. But I do like to see them and read about them. I have seen a 4bt in a dakota, but have never seen a 5.9 cummins in a first gen, much less an early first gen dakota.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 AM
ragged89
All Star

Really I have to say my Magnum motor suits me fine too. I cut my teeth on these wedge motors many years ago and I'll stick with this one in my conv Dak, despite all my hemi day dreaming. But, if I do another Dakota I might try it. It'd be a 2WD, maybe a 2nd gen body, not sure on that though. One thing I can do forever is talk and debate motors and vehicles, and the challenging ones are especially fun. I've enjoyed reading some diesel swaps, though I'm not planning anything like that myself. I've seen some fast electric motored swaps too. Now that would be different! You could put a motor right up to the front of the rear axle, batteries under the bed and under the hood... Uh oh, I better stop now.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I know this post is old......
but....
Why worry about the stock dak trans and transfer case at all? Got to junkyard, find a totaled truck with a hemi, preferably new with the 8spd auto
Take the whole drivetrain.... Engine, wiring, trans, transfercase, shifter, pedal, ecu....all of it then swap it over. Build mounts for the engine trans, pedal, a small console for the shifter that can house both the shifter And 4wd turn switch and maybe a couple cupholders. Then what's left? Having a front and a rear driveshaft built? Some custom rad hoses? And an exhaust of course. Just wondering....cuz now I'm dreaming of how my 93 ext cab 4x4 would look with a hemi in it

Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
So I know this post is old......
but....
Why worry about the stock dak trans and transfer case at all? Got to junkyard, find a totaled truck with a hemi, preferably new with the 8spd auto
Take the whole drivetrain.... Engine, wiring, trans, transfercase, shifter, pedal, ecu....all of it then swap it over. Build mounts for the engine trans, pedal, a small console for the shifter that can house both the shifter And 4wd turn switch and maybe a couple cupholders. Then what's left? Having a front and a rear driveshaft built? Some custom rad hoses? And an exhaust of course. Just wondering....cuz now I'm dreaming of how my 93 ext cab 4x4 would look with a hemi in it
I think it would be awesome. I would be tempted though, to see if there is an aftermarket controller that would run the engine/trans, and skip trying to graft newer stock wiring into an older truck.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't be hard to remove the excess stuff you can't use in the harness. Removing it from the ECU is a bit tougher, you'd have to buy an hptuners kit and use their software to remove the stuff you can't use. I've done it before witha couple ls engines. IDK if I had the money and the space I would do it. I'd love to get the body on my 93 done then while everything is off the frame drop a hemi engine and trans in. As far as guages go... Some sheet aluminum and autometers would look good instead of stock cluster..... Hmmmm dammit, anyone want to donate like 50k to me