1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Has no power now after starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Problem_child
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
If the battery is over 3 years old it may be toast anyway. if it is shorted internally or sulfated it WON'T take a charge. Stick a known-good battery in and try again see what happens. then I'd be looking at "the" splice that these trucks are known for having trouble with, next.
Thank you I didn't know they can internally short but it makes sense since it wint hold a charge now. But it was an older battery, held a great charge before this tho that's why I didn't want to stick another $100 battery in there just to have a repeat. Starter could be arcing together like they said earlier but I doubt it, I just gotta actually get outside in this crappy weather an find that splice thing I heard about and pull the new battery out of my Volvo since it blew a head gasket the same week the dodge decided to take a crap.

Again thanks for the reply and not being a jerk like someone else, I'm just trying to get some friendly advice.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

sometimes hooking a good battery in via jumper cables wont help either, if your battery in the truck has a bad cell... you can hook 10 jumper batteries in at the same time but unless you get that bad cell out of the picture it won't go. I dunno what size (physical size of the battery case) battery the Volvo had, but if itll fit itll work... only other possible issue is if it has reversed terminals like many Fords had, still gotta hook + to + and - to -. the cables may or may not stretch to reach the posts.
and often times arcing in a starter is because of low voltage available. (from the battery being "shot")

Old 01-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Problem_child

Originally Posted by volaredon
sometimes hooking a good battery in via jumper cables wont help either, if your battery in the truck has a bad cell... you can hook 10 jumper batteries in at the same time but unless you get that bad cell out of the picture it won't go. I dunno what size (physical size of the battery case) battery the Volvo had, but if itll fit itll work... only other possible issue is if it has reversed terminals like many Fords had, still gotta hook + to + and - to -. the cables may or may not stretch to reach the posts.
and often times arcing in a starter is because of low voltage available. (from the battery being "shot")
Ohhhhhh okay thank you! I had no idea how it really worked, these are exactly the kind of answers I was hoping for.
I'll charge it tonight and make it happen tomorrow and post any updates on it. Just trying to save as much of it as I can without breaking anything else I'm only 21, so I'm still learning what to do an what not to.

All I got left to drive if anything is my dirt bike(set up for snow) so it's not like im able to go to town an get anything i need for it so I gotta use what I got here so hopefully just a good charged battery is all it really needs and she fires right up.

Thank you very much, I like to learn that kind of stuff.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:20 AM
biggman100
Rookie

Originally Posted by Problem_child
O
I just wanted to know if maybe someone would have a straight answer but I guess not so never mind I even asked, if I had the extra money id just have it fixed for me but I don't so I came here.
Did you also check the fuses and relays under the dash? Is the ground from the battery connected to the engine? There is also a wire that goes from the fuse box under the hood to the positive terminal on the battery. If the terminals are aftermarket, that could have gotten disconnected.