1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help! 92 dakota v6 3.9l died and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Pull the new crank sensor, crank it and see if you get the "clicks".

That may be hitting on the torque converter or the tone ring.

Also, what brand? These vehicles seem to be twitchy as to brand; it really ought to be a Mopar OEM crank sensor (there's always people who buy the house brand ones and they Just Plain Don't Work.)

RwP

Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Trevorlb90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can try that as well... Is it possible its a faulty hall effect sensor?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Trevorlb90

Originally Posted by RalphP
Pull the new crank sensor, crank it and see if you get the "clicks".

That may be hitting on the torque converter or the tone ring.

Also, what brand? These vehicles seem to be twitchy as to brand; it really ought to be a Mopar OEM crank sensor (there's always people who buy the house brand ones and they Just Plain Don't Work.)

RwP
i think the brand was bgm from oreillys

Old 04-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Trevorlb90

Originally Posted by Trevorlb90
i think the brand was bgm from oreillys
Also ive been told it could either be the hall effect sensor or the camshaft sensor?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Also ive been told it could either be the hall effect sensor or the camshaft sensor?
I'm not sure either of the two sensors (cam or crank) are hall effect or not; but yes, it may be either or both.

But with it clicking ... pull that crank sensor first, see if the clicking goes away. Also, that will allow you to see if the tone ring's been hitting it.

If not, check the cam sensor (inside the distributor); see if IT looks like it's hitting anything.

But before all that, LOOK for the discharge snaps. See if it's the HV output of the coil going somewhere besides the distributor.

RwP

Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Trevorlb90

I already took apart distributor earlier today... Hall effect had a bunch of gunk on it so i cleaned off terminals and put it back together... But maybe hall effect is just alltogether bad... It is a 30 year old truck after all... It looks original (old to say the least)

Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading that you noticed the clicking after changing out the crank sensor, my first thought was that the new sensor may be hitting the flywheel. Ralph mentioned that possibility, and the fact that you hear it at the rear of the engine (distributor area) makes it even more likely as the source of the clicking, and the starting/running issue.

The crank sensor is normally very close to the flywheel tone ring so its possible to imagine some foreign object, like a broken off piece of the sensor you changed out, getting jammed up in there. If you pull it, check the end of the sensor for signs that it has come into contact with something. When the crank sensor isn't supplying a signal the ASD disables spark and fuel.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Trevorlb90

Originally Posted by ragged89
After reading that you noticed the clicking after changing out the crank sensor, my first thought was that the new sensor may be hitting the flywheel. Ralph mentioned that possibility, and the fact that you hear it at the rear of the engine (distributor area) makes it even more likely as the source of the clicking, and the starting/running issue.

The crank sensor is normally very close to the flywheel tone ring so its possible to imagine some foreign object, like a broken off piece of the sensor you changed out, getting jammed up in there. If you pull it, check the end of the sensor for signs that it has come into contact with something. When the crank sensor isn't supplying a signal the ASD disables spark and fuel.
I will check thay out tomorrow but i really hope nothing fell in there because it is all by feel... No good line of sight on the crank sensor socket

Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will check thay out tomorrow but i really hope nothing fell in there because it is all by feel... No good line of sight on the crank sensor socket
Process of elimination....

Remove the coil wire to the distributor and crank...if clicking goes away it's a high arc clicking. If it remains, it's a mechanical interference somewhere.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:16 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

which are 2 names for the same part, some books call it "distributor pick up plate"