1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Mirror Question

Hello all,

I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota, with the folding power chrome mirrors, one is broken and the both swing in at highway speed so it it time to switch them out. I was wondering what my options are; I don't like the chrome ones, the fact I have lost count of the number of times that someone has moved it in a parking lot and it is usually when I get into traffic that I find it out.

I do like the look of the ones on the second generation Dakotas, the connectors seem the same. Can I just use those? The charts say not compatible, but not sure what that means. Has anyone done this?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:23 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruff16965
Hello all,

I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota, with the folding power chrome mirrors, one is broken and the both swing in at highway speed so it it time to switch them out. I was wondering what my options are; I don't like the chrome ones, the fact I have lost count of the number of times that someone has moved it in a parking lot and it is usually when I get into traffic that I find it out.

I do like the look of the ones on the second generation Dakotas, the connectors seem the same. Can I just use those? The charts say not compatible, but not sure what that means. Has anyone done this?
1. The mirrors don't need replaced just because they both fold in. That's an easy free fix if you have the tools. Take the mirrors off and tighten the I believe 10mm screws inside the triangle piece. But not too tight or you'll snap the bolt, and/or not be able to move the mirror at all.

2. Yes, you can use second gen mirrors. As well as any other Dodge truck up to like 07 or so. Small drilling may be require but nothing major. I myself plan to get second gen mirrors just because they're black plastic and I'm ditching all my chrome piece by piece.

Also, my mirrors don't move at all now if someone bumps into them. But, if you bump it hard enough they still do. Better the move then getting broke. But, I'm still swapping mine out.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Ruff16965
Professional

Morning Toby,

Thank you for the reply and the answer. Them folding in is not the only reason that I am replacing, just a major one. The passenger side mirror is broken, housing has a major crack in it and the glass shattered. Happened when the soon to be ex parked it, when backing up to get out I nailed a tree.

Like you I don't like the chrome look and they are towing mirrors and in the 9 years that I have had the truck I have towed nothing.

Last edited by Ruff16965; 07-07-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Here's what Rock Auto has for the 93. On my 94 I have the black ones and after not getting what I ordered several times from some other online outfit I ended up painting them and am very happy with the result.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...de+mirror,1304

Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Morning Toby,

Thank you for the reply and the answer. Them folding in is not the only reason that I am replacing, just a major one. The passenger side mirror is broken, housing has a major crack in it and the glass shattered. Happened when the soon to be ex parked it, when backing up to get out I nailed a tree.

Like you I don't like the chrome look and they are towing mirrors and in the 9 years that I have had the truck I have towed nothing.
The chrome mirrors you have are NOT toe mirrors, they're just mirrors. And the black ones I'll be getting from a second gen will be the same size. I was just pointing out for anyone reading this that having mirrors that fold in at speeds isn't a reason to replace them. As it's no guarantee that the ones you'd get to replace them wouldn't do the same thing right off the bat. Me personally, I'd never have the sport mirrors that was an option for these trucks. You can't see SQUAT with them lol. The field of view is drastically reduce and WTH me at least, makes you do the bobble head dance side to side and up and down when you wanna change lanes. And, I think they look goofy...

Old 07-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Ruff16965
Professional

Okay, I am confused, someone else called them towing mirrors. What are sport mirrors?

The mirrors that I am looking at are from a 2002 Durango, they are also 6 by 9 like the original ones on the truck.

Attached Thumbnails Mirror Question-s-l300.jpg  
Old 07-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Okay, I am confused, someone else called them towing mirrors. What are sport mirrors?

The mirrors that I am looking at are from a 2002 Durango, they are also 6 by 9 like the original ones on the truck.
Tow mirrors are extended or have the option to extend pass standard mirrors. The sport mirrors for the first gen trucks are the TINY black plastic mirrors. They're like 3x4". Google 94 Dakota sport would be a good way to see what I'm talking about.

Those 2002 mirrors you're looking at would be a direct bolt on. Though you may have to clip your pigtail and swap it on the new mirrors.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:56 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
The sport mirrors for the first gen trucks are the TINY black plastic mirrors. They're like 3x4"
Close - they're stock about 5x7.

The chrome ones are a nominal 6x9, but are actually a bit larger.

See the glass sizes in the RockAuto listing at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ror+glass,6484 .

RwP