1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st Gen Towing Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin94
It has 10 Bolts holding the cover on. Just went and looked and compared it to a Dana on google , they don't match. So I had to have misread the build sheet and whoever told the previous owner it had a Dana didn't know what they where talking about.
that's an 8.25. Good rear end. But in the end, your truck just isnt going to tow 7k lbs any meaningful distance without the transmissio frying.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 AM
Justin94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't tow that much weight more than 4-5 miles. And when I do it's a family member's vehicle that broke down. The trailer and vehicle combined weigh in at almost 7k.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:02 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

If that's all you're doing, just put a chain on whatever it is and pull it home.
Because not only will your transmission go out on short order, your suspension just can't handle it. And you'd have next to no steering.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:03 AM
Justin94

In case anyone is wondering , this is the first Dodge product I've owned , so I don't know much about them.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:06 AM
Justin94

But as far as fuel economy goes with the truck by itself , what could I do to slightly raise it without going into it internally ?

Old 07-31-2017, 06:57 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

my 92 with a Mag V8 (2wd) is better than 13mpg and though barely, so is my 96 V8 4wd.
and if youre flat towing a dead car it is supported by all 4 wheels, that isnt as bad as a trailer as there is no "tongue weight" with what you are wanting to do.... I pulled a few cars with my 90. pulled a car back from Louisville to near chicago and another back from far southern IL on tow dollys. It wasnt that fast getting rolling, but once rolling it did OK. just be careful! and remember you are stopping 2x the weight, slow down early. if towing w/a chain BE SURE to have someone in the dead car to help by using the brakes on the towed car,

Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

But as far as fuel economy goes with the truck by itself , what could I do to slightly raise it without going into it internally ?
Basics first:

Full tune up: plugs, cap, wires, rotor, air filter, fuel filter

Quality oil change with quality filter
Could change all your drive train fluids as well to full synthetic
Make sure tires are properly inflated
Remove any weight thats not needed
Easy on the throttle on take off and speed changes

Old 07-31-2017, 05:38 PM
Justin94

It just had a complete tune up two months ago , tires are properly inflated, and as far as oil , I'm running Valvoline Conventional 5w30. 10w30 is getting hard to find in my area. Trans has Valvoline Dex/Merc because I didn't like the shift quality with ATF+4. Plus Dex/Merc is all the previous owner ran in it. And Diff oil is still the factory fill.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

It just had a complete tune up two months ago , tires are properly inflated, and as far as oil , I'm running Valvoline Conventional 5w30. 10w30 is getting hard to find in my area. Trans has Valvoline Dex/Merc because I didn't like the shift quality with ATF+4. Plus Dex/Merc is all the previous owner ran in it. And Diff oil is still the factory fill.
ur transmission is going to blow VERY quickly now. ATF+4 is the ONLY Thing you should run in your truck. Anything else will make it burn out. If it had shift problembs before, the transmission needs rebuilt or replaced. Honestly, before you do ANYTHING else to your truck, you need to step back and ask someone who knows a thing or two and not joe shmoe. You sound eager to learn, but no one around to teach you.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Justin94

More or Less. I'm willing to learn , but have no one to teach me. It shifts fine with the Dex/Merc , when it had the ATF+4 you couldn't tell when it went into gear.