1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brakes on a 93

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017 | 12:42 PM
Wolfen1086
|
Professional
Default Brakes on a 93

ok yall did a complete brake inspection today, front is almost new, rear is a different story, parking brake doesn't work cable adjuster is rusted in the full out position, springs on drivers side were on backwards and both sides had broken yellow springs.
Fixed the springs, replaced the rear brakes and hardware, no leaks in the cylinders and now I have the adjuster soaking in PB Blaster, if it brakes, I guess its a trip to NAPA up the road.
I really love people that think they know brakes, but really don't they make me say combinations of cuss words that would make the devil cringe. but its all simple, ABS unit works as good as a new one

Old 08-02-2017 | 01:28 PM
RalphP
Champion

Yah, a lot of folks won't touch the rear drums because "they don't wear out".

Sucks when you find one that's been neglected. Sucks worse when you're coming behind someone who had no idea what they were doing.

RwP

Old 08-02-2017 | 06:31 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

yeah or those that wont touch them because "there are too many springs"
or those who put the "small shoe on the left" on both sides (small shoe goes towards the front on both sides)
or both big shoes on one side and both small ones on the other side....
Being most don't use the E brake, have seen (and done a time or 2 to get something going) left the strut between the shoes out (the bar below the wheel cylinder) which for driving don't hurt a thing.... just don't have an E brake.
I just did the rear brakes on my 96 yesterday. Original shoes with 171K starting to delaminate from the steel backing..... waiting for the wife to get home to help me bleed them as we speak, actually. everything new but the drums. they were smooth, no grooves. got some of my old stash, new parts that are 15-20 years old.... glad I had that stuff here, means I didnt have to put today's China garbage on there. same 10" brakes as several of my old cars took... (and both of my cars still do! nevermind that these 2 cars are a '78 and an '80 ha ha)

Old 08-03-2017 | 12:02 AM
Wolfen1086
|
Professional

found out today another problem with the parking brake besides a broken spring , a frozen cable adjuster nut on the frame adjuster, easy enough, cut it off withe the grinder and replace it, fixed it, pulled on it, passenger side works drivers side has a rusted out short cable from the drum out that is broke, easy enough $5 at napa.
I'd REALLY REALLY like to meet some of the "brake experts" that do crap like this and neglect brakes and just have 5 minutes in a locked room and no questions asked. back in 83 I had a good friend die because some moron rebuilt her master cylinder and put the seals in backwards, I have been studying brakes ever since, I have NEVER been ASE certified on brakes.........I refuse to lower my standards.
I work on brakes all the time for friends and friends of friends and I swear to God when the vehicle leaves my driveway it WILL stop if the brakes don't work at least as good as new when it leaves my yard, its because its being towed away NC gave me one year to get the st insp when I registered the truck coming from Va, but it WILL NOT move out of my yard until the brakes are 100% fully operational

Old 08-03-2017 | 01:40 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

In one of those that wont touch drum brakes. As many of you know by now, I dont havw to worry about that ever again with my 96.

Old 08-03-2017 | 09:25 AM
Wolfen1086
|
Professional

Originally Posted by volaredon
yeah or those that wont touch them because "there are too many springs"
or those who put the "small shoe on the left" on both sides (small shoe goes towards the front on both sides)
or both big shoes on one side and both small ones on the other side....
Being most don't use the E brake, have seen (and done a time or 2 to get something going) left the strut between the shoes out (the bar below the wheel cylinder) which for driving don't hurt a thing.... just don't have an E brake.
I just did the rear brakes on my 96 yesterday. Original shoes with 171K starting to delaminate from the steel backing..... waiting for the wife to get home to help me bleed them as we speak, actually. everything new but the drums. they were smooth, no grooves. got some of my old stash, new parts that are 15-20 years old.... glad I had that stuff here, means I didnt have to put today's China garbage on there. same 10" brakes as several of my old cars took... (and both of my cars still do! nevermind that these 2 cars are a '78 and an '80 ha ha)
Hence the difference between Led and Lag shoes

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
In one of those that wont touch drum brakes. As many of you know by now, I dont havw to worry about that ever again with my 96.
You can Always bring your dodge to me with brake shoes, $30 a wheel I install them and I promise on y mothers grave, they WILL work when you leave

Old 08-03-2017 | 10:18 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

While I understand your passion due to having a brake related death, we shouldn't globally hate on those that might not know everything about brakes or can afford to have them tip top. Granted, for your, mine and their safety we all wish that everyone's brakes were perfect, but in the real world they aren't. I completely changed every associated brake piece on my truck during my restoration...lines, hoses, drums, drum cylinders, shoes, springs/cables, pads, calipers, master cylinder and booster. And in the end, the simple swap of the lines at the dual MC kept me from having perfect brakes. Mistakes happen. Now, I didn't drive my truck while I was figuring out the problem, but I have 10 vehicles and can drive something else. But someone else might rely on their sole truck to get them to two jobs to feed their family, and they take the risk. Put yourself into someone's else's shoes and decisions might not seem so cut and dry. It's like when someone is tailgating me or dangerously passing me on the road. My first inclination is "what a jerk"...but what if that person is rushing to a hospital because a loved one has been in a terrible accident. You just never know....so better to show compassion than talk about jerking a knot in their head in a closed room Just my 2c.

Old 08-03-2017 | 12:48 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Yes...you remind us every other post haha.

Drums are really easy as pie if you've done them before (all you need is a beefy screwdriver and pliers), not to mention that many parking brakes out there are drum style so unless you never want to have a working parking brake (yes, I know you don't) on any car, it's hard to avoid working on a drum style brake forever.

Old 08-03-2017 | 09:16 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolfen1086

You can Always bring your dodge to me with brake shoes, $30 a wheel I install them and I promise on y mothers grave, they WILL work when you leave
Nah. Ill keep my 11" discs over 9" drums. Its been done for 4 months now.

Old 08-03-2017 | 09:17 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by tbugden
Yes...you remind us every other post haha.

Drums are really easy as pie if you've done them before (all you need is a beefy screwdriver and pliers), not to mention that many parking brakes out there are drum style so unless you never want to have a working parking brake (yes, I know you don't) on any car, it's hard to avoid working on a drum style brake forever.
if the opportunity arises and it might work someomes interest why not lol. I know its stickies, but seems no one reads those anymore.