1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What should a head gasket job cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Having a friend to help, even if all they do is hand you tools, makes the job MUCH more pleasant.
Only note is, it's usually better to crack the 24 pack of beers open AFTER you're done, or you'll be wondering exactly HOW you got that exhaust manifold on the intake side of the head ... *grins*

Originally Posted by HeyYou
We had snow for a week or two, rained yesterday, even warmer today.... and most of it is now gone. Welcome to Michigan....... Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes, it'll change.
Wait ... that sounds like Louisiana! (Yes, south of me has had snow already; up in North Louisiana, we didn't. Go figure.)

RwP

Old 12-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Josephrking
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
if I were you, I'd get a leak down test down. And a compressesion check. No sence in doing the head gasket if the heads are cracked. And used heads are a deal shot. New year's are $1200 and up iirc. Might be time for an engine swap. Upgrade the ol girl.
Yeah I’ve thought about that a bit. This truck is just to nice to let sit so whatever it is I’ll fix lol. My friend is gonna check it out this weekend so hopefully nothing to serious.. could a injector stuck open cause the smoke? The truck runs just fine so I’m hoping it’s not heads.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josephrking
Yeah I’ve thought about that a bit. This truck is just to nice to let sit so whatever it is I’ll fix lol. My friend is gonna check it out this weekend so hopefully nothing to serious.. could a injector stuck open cause the smoke? The truck runs just fine so I’m hoping it’s not heads.
I'm not saying let it set..I'm saying if it is the heads, now is a good time to swap the engine to a 5.2 or 5.9.. Cheaper and better in the lomg run.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
I'm not saying let it set..I'm saying if it is the heads, now is a good time to swap the engine to a 5.2 or 5.9.. Cheaper and better in the lomg run.
Oh i see now. Hmm maybe I’ll look for a 5.2 unfortunately all the junk yards Around me closed down

Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh i see now. Hmm maybe I’ll look for a 5.2 unfortunately all the junk yards Around me closed down
if I were you, I'd go straight for the 5.9. Car-part.com can help you find one close.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Sounds like project inflation to me.

The easiest approach is to get the heads off, have them inspected and maybe reconditioned and put them on. Putting in a 5.X V8 is gonna cost more money and create problems you won't have if you keep it simple. It isn't just an engine, it's exhaust, harness, electronics, etc. Simple and cheap wins the day for me.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:13 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Engine change seems a lot bigger deal to me but I've never done it . I've had this book marked for a while never used it $175 a head http://www.shop.headsonly.com/DODGE-...OTA-RAM-39.htm

Old 12-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

That's not a bad deal, Joe would need two heads of course. Most good sized cities have cylinder head exchanges I think. Just a matter of asking around and finding them. Nice thing about exchange is that you can start the job, exchange the heads, and finish the job in two weekends. And usually (my experience) the quality is excellent. Nice to have a guarantee.

I would say, if you think you can do the work yourself, get a Clymer manual and a torque wrench and go for it. Follow the directions to the letter. The hardest part may be disconnecting the exhaust manifolds. I think I'd spring for manifold bolts and studs and head bolts while your at it. Get automotive grade, purpose built hardware. Home Depot or Ace Hardware sourced stuff will not do. If you have a friend who can answer questions and help lift them off and back on that would be great. I have a 96 4wd, if I were doing the engine or even just the heads,after I got the exhaust loose from the manifolds, I'd pull of the front wheels and lower the front end down so things would be more in reach. Use jack stands or something else that's stable, of course.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 12-27-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

yeah I’ll get the Hughes kit.

is there any other cause for the white smoke and slight anti freeze consumption? Truck runs awesome no check engine lights.. I’m leaning towards doin the gaskets myself but if there’s another possible cause that would be easier I’m all ears lol. I’m looking at a full engine gasket kit from oreillys for $170.
You don't need a full engine gasket set, You can get a cylinder head gasket set for $53 minus 5%, plus shipping from Rockauto--this is the Felpro set, my favorite.

Quick Reply: What should a head gasket job cost?