1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1987 Dakota Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Michael Abbamondi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Dakota Maintenance

Just picked up a one owner 1987 Dodge Dakota with 111k miles for a grand and it runs pretty well, maybe a little rough at idle. You can feel it in the steering wheel, but it doesn't affect driving. I was just curious as to what someone with experience with these trucks would do for maintenance before getting it on the road? The suspension checks out, a/c works, good tires. I was thinking just change the oil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, adjust the carb a bit and check the timing. Any opinions would be welcomed.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Don’t forget about the things that stop you as well as make you go. Inspect the braking system. Also the exhaust system and the cooling system.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Hey Michael,

Welcome to the forum!!
I have a 87 dakota 4wd 5speed, with 84000. miles. My brother purchased it new.
The viberation that you have, I would start by swapping the tires, front to back and see if it changes. After that, I would recheck wheel bearing, u-joints, etc. Anything that rotates. Viberation is not normal.

Things to check.
1. Look for rust around spring hangers in the rear.
2. Look for rust on the front where the upper control arms mount to the frame.
Those seem to be the most common rust areas.......
3. Change power steering fluid. I just use a turkey baster, suck out the reservoir, refill, drive and repeat a few times.
4. Change transfer case fluid. (ATF)
5. Change transmisssion oil (5 speed is 10w30 motor oil)
6. Change differential oils. I use syn. 75-140 and additive if posi.
7. Flush out brake fluid.
8. Inspect all brake lines, and replace if any doubt.
9 as you already mentioned, engine oil, filter, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, etc.

The 87 is odd, compared to other dakota's
1. Only carbed V6 was the 87. It used an electronic feed back carb that has an electric power valve. This is known to give problems....
2. Dist. is unique. Fires at 116 and 124 degrees. and again, because its a carbed truck, its different then any other year
3. Brake have a valve that is attached to the rear leaf spring. As you add weight to the truck it opens, letting more fluid go to the rear brakes. This is supposed to help reduce rear brake lockup...... Mine was seized, so I bypassed.

Remember, even though the truck has low miles, its 31 years old.....
When inspecting, keep that in mind, with things like rubber parts, and brake lines that can rust!!

Congratulations on the purchase and look forward to progress reports and pictures!!
)

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Hey Michael,

Welcome to the forum!!
I have a 87 dakota 4wd 5speed, with 84000. miles. My brother purchased it new.
The viberation that you have, I would start by swapping the tires, front to back and see if it changes. After that, I would recheck wheel bearing, u-joints, etc. Anything that rotates. Viberation is not normal.

Things to check.
1. Look for rust around spring hangers in the rear.
2. Look for rust on the front where the upper control arms mount to the frame.
Those seem to be the most common rust areas.......
3. Change power steering fluid. I just use a turkey baster, suck out the reservoir, refill, drive and repeat a few times.
4. Change transfer case fluid. (ATF)
5. Change transmisssion oil (5 speed is 10w30 motor oil)
6. Change differential oils. I use syn. 75-140 and additive if posi.
7. Flush out brake fluid.
8. Inspect all brake lines, and replace if any doubt.
9 as you already mentioned, engine oil, filter, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, etc.

The 87 is odd, compared to other dakota's
1. Only carbed V6 was the 87. It used an electronic feed back carb that has an electric power valve. This is known to give problems....
2. Dist. is unique. Fires at 116 and 124 degrees. and again, because its a carbed truck, its different then any other year
3. Brake have a valve that is attached to the rear leaf spring. As you add weight to the truck it opens, letting more fluid go to the rear brakes. This is supposed to help reduce rear brake lockup...... Mine was seized, so I bypassed.

Remember, even though the truck has low miles, its 31 years old.....
When inspecting, keep that in mind, with things like rubber parts, and brake lines that can rust!!

Congratulations on the purchase and look forward to progress reports and pictures!!
)
Its seems we get this question fairly often on the 1st gen forum, i.e. "I just bought this Dakota" or "I'm considering buying this Dakota, what things should I check for?". We have a sticky that lists "general problems" and it has a few good known issues listed in the first few lines, but there are some other issues we've come to know fairly well in the last few years that aren't there. Examples include the rust-prone areas 93 Ragtop pointed out, and that pesky brake valve on the rear frame. There's a number of other potential issues that are developing as these trucks age too, such as the brake metering valve that sticks and sets the brake light on, the wiper bushings that break, the timing chain tension after so many miles, the chain in the transfer case that stretches if abused, and of course, the infamous manifold plenum gasket. Then there's the fact that some parts are getting harder to find, so some of our resourceful forum members have identified alternate solutions, like modifying 2nd gen front end bushings for use in a 1st gen truck.

What I'm getting at is, I think it might be time to update our stickys. New owners who are just looking to start off on the right foot would be well served with some of what we've learned in the last few years.

Last edited by ragged89; 04-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by ragged89
Its seems we get this question fairly often on the 1st gen forum, i.e. "I just bought this Dakota" or "I'm considering buying this Dakota, what things should I check for?". We have a sticky that lists "general problems" and it has a few good known issues listed in the first few lines, but there are some other issues we've come to know fairly well in the last few years that aren't there. Examples include the rust-prone areas Ragtop 93 pointed out, and that pesky brake valve on the rear frame. There's a number of other potential issues that are developing as these trucks age too, such as the brake metering valve that sticks and sets the brake light on, the wiper bushings that break, the timing chain tension after so many miles, the chain in the transfer case that stretches if abused, and of course, the infamous manifold plenum gasket. Then there's the fact that some parts are getting harder to find, so some of our resourceful forum members have identified alternate solutions, like modifying 2nd gen front end bushings for use in a 1st gen truck.

What I'm getting at is, I think it might be time to update our stickys. New owners who are just looking to start off on the right foot would be well served with some of what we've learned in the last few years.
I nominate ragged89 to start updating stickies.....who seconds??

Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Seconded. Motion carries.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Sold!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
This isn't going the way I expected...

Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by ragged89
This isn't going the way I expected...
Hahaha.....

Old 04-18-2018, 04:14 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

IMO you would be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable, articulate person for the job!! Ragged89 would get my vote, "it it counted!!"
Good luck twisting his arm!!

Quick Reply: 1987 Dakota Maintenance