1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

will 3.9 and auto tow a race car and traailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:51 PM
mackee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will 3.9 and auto tow a race car and traailer

Hi all
New member with not so new question.Hope someone can help. I have a 92 Dakota 2wd and automatic. Truck is 3.9 engine in real good shape with only 134,000 miles on it Doesn't use any oil and has never given me any trouble .I replaced the timing chain just about 3 months ago.Now what I am wanting to do is tow my barracuda about 100 miles each way (to go racing). I have a tranny cooler on it and added a couple leaf springs to each side.
My trailer weighs about 1500# and my Cuda weighs 2800 # Plus a couple hundred pounds for tools and winch. Oh ya it has trailer brakes on 1 axle My question is ....will this work? Or am I setting my self up for disaster
?Has anyone here towed similar rig?
Thanks in aadvance

Old 05-02-2018, 10:19 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

not very well... a 2wd Dakota probably has the smaller 9" brakes on rear, and the truck "doesn't have enough azz///// that trailer will be like the tail wagging the dog.......
when I had my last 3.9 Dakota, it was a 94 2wd short bed reg cab, and I towed my then new to me 93 318 club cab home mostly via back roads because I wasn't sure how it would go. I was using a tow dolly with the 93's back wheels on the ground, and its front wheels on the dolly....
We decided to stop for pizza halfway home and even though I was down to <5 mph when we turned into the pizza joint, the truck on the dolly pushed me and I had all I could do for it not to jackknife hard enough to crunch the bed on the truck I was towing with.... averted disaster but barely.... fortunately I had all back roads, the rest of the way home from that point so I could go as slow as I felt safe without causing a traffic backup.............. I wouldn't attempt what you are wanting to do at all......

Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

What does your owners manual say?

Assuming 4500 lbs is equal or less then your factory rated capacity, I would think you would be ok. Now this is assuming everything is operating properly, ie. trailer brakes, etc.
Again, this is just my opinion, but the trailer brakes should be sufficient to stop the trailer...
The trailer and car is not like a 36ft travel trailer that was discussed a few days ago..... The open car trailer and car are not going to be as affected by crosswinds etc. as badly as the travel trailer.
If area is fairly flat, traffic not too bad, and you drive with caution, I believe it would be ok. Again, just my opinion.
All that said, I also think that things like the transmission and rearend are going to wear out quickly on that dakota.... IMO these trucks are just not built for constant use, with that kind of weight.

A little off base here, but I live in Manassas Va. I have a friend who races in Summerduck Va and he tows a S10 on a car trailer with a 90? model SWB 2wd 4.3 S-10. No brakes other then the truck brakes. Been doing it for a few years now..... But it is a accident waiting to happen.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 AM
mackee

93 ragtop

your buddy has a lot bigger set of b*lls than I do!

volaredon

I think your right and thats why I was hesitant to try it. Hate to sale the truck cuz it runs better than sseveral newer Dakotas. Anyone do an engine/ tranny swap like a 318 or 360 and auto trans I read somewhere that the older chasis is too narrow for the v8 (dont know if its true)

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by mackee
Anyone do an engine/ tranny swap like a 318 or 360 and auto trans I read somewhere that the older chasis is too narrow for the v8 (dont know if its true)
The 5.2/5.9 Magnum V8s drop right in width wise.

They bubbled the front out in 1991 to make more DEPTH for the V8s over the V6 and I4 motors.

And you can shoe-horn the V8s into the flat fronts; it's just not as easy as the bubble fronts.

RwP

Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

keep this truck for your daily, get something bigger to tow your trailer.... even if you put a diesel or big block into it, (I saw your questions about a V8 swap) the truck itself doesn't have enough mass.... and too small of brakes, too light of suspension, etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mackee
93 ragtop

your buddy has a lot bigger set of b*lls than I do!

Actually, he is just stupid!! But you know, racing is like a drug, get involved enough, and you will do anything to make that next race!! Take care

Old 05-03-2018, 06:20 PM
mackee

well I do have a 440 in the back of the garage.....hmmm Not going to use it in the cuda maybe the Dakota would be fun (not to mention surprize the blue oval and the bow tie clubs)

Old 05-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha! 440 in a Dak. You go bro. I'd love to see that. Was half tempted to do a Dak with a 24v Cummins with my extra frame.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 AM
mackee

Thanks guys I guess I just needed a reality check. Just because I really like my Dak doesn't make it a super truck. I can afford either a newer truck or a new trailer but not both. This has been a problem for me for the last2 0 years trying to get this car to the drag strip. My answer last night was to go out and buy me a boat/motor/and trailer for $500 and leave the rest of my money in the bank.
thanks again

PS the Dak tows the boat like its not even there

Quick Reply: will 3.9 and auto tow a race car and traailer