1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Gas tank strap broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas tank strap broke

Hi, last weekend my GF said somethign was hanging down from teh truck, it turned out to be a gas tank strap. The tank seemed secure so I drove it home and parked it since. Where can I get one of these straps, and why did this happen? The truck is not that rusty but the strap was basically orange dust.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2018, 05:44 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash68
Hi, last weekend my GF said somethign was hanging down from teh truck, it turned out to be a gas tank strap. The tank seemed secure so I drove it home and parked it since. Where can I get one of these straps, and why did this happen? The truck is not that rusty but the strap was basically orange dust.

Thanks
Junkyard will be your best bet

Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you want new (which is what I would do!), RockAuto lists two possible parts https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nk+strap,10321 . If nothing else, use their part numbers and Google for other sources.

I'd replace both while I was under there, if I were you.

RwP

Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
If you want new (which is what I would do!), RockAuto lists two possible parts https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nk+strap,10321 . If nothing else, use their part numbers and Google for other sources.

I'd replace both while I was under there, if I were you.

RwP
Careful with aftermarket metal, I don't advise contrary to Ralph, but I do suggest that you coat the straps in some fluid film or something. I've just had too much experience with aftermarket metal turning to dust.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd POR15 or other rust preventative it that's for sure!

(I didn't think to mention it, that almost goes without saying, donnit?)

RwP

Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I got a set, I think from rock auto. But they were new. Seemed fine to me. I did paint mine, but I used rustolum paint.....

Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by RalphP
I'd POR15 or other rust preventative it that's for sure!

(I didn't think to mention it, that almost goes without saying, donnit?)

RwP
Not for me! I had to learn by experience haha...not the sharpest tool am I.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is the procedure for removing the bed? I know there's 6 bolts, but is there a decent method of suspending it? I've never done this before. I would drop the tank but it's fairly full/heavy and I don't know how I would do that, removing the bed seems almost easier. Plug I need to change the fuel sender anyway.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

First, there are 8 bolts. 4 per side. Then disconnect the filler neck either at the gas cap or where the hose in the middle is, a couple wires to disconnect for the lights and the escutcheon for the tube that you lift/lower the spare tire with.
IDK about easy lifting. I scratched the corner of the bed on the bumper just tilting it to get at the fuel pump so probably cover them with something. The next time I put some straps corner to corner and used a come along hanging from the overhang in front of my shop to lift it. I just put an eye bolt into the 2x6. It was back heavy so probably take the tailgate off first if you do that. Or you can get a couple of friends to help its not very heavy just bulky.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM
tbugden
All Star

I'd definitely agree with the couple of friends idea. It's so nice to have the bed completely off. Two average strength people can lift the bed without much trouble, a third for balance helps. Lay out some cinderblocks with wood on top or something to lay it down so it rests on the bed rails and not the bed sides.

Quick Reply: Gas tank strap broke