1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5.2 to 5.9 swap and build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 AM
96blackdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 to 5.9 swap and build.

i've got a 96 5.2 dakota auto 46re and i'm getting ready to start a build on a 5.9 for it. thought i'd see what others have done and how it worked out for them. i'm looking to retain the original pcm and i recently built the trans with a the upgrades in mind so i'm good on the trans. im running 3.21 gears and i'm looking for a good torque build on the stock 5.9 bottom end. was considering using the 5.2 cam (new of course) for the higher lift along with opening up the throttle body and intake. im avoiding porting the heads to much since i really need to keep my torque where it is. if stock pcm isn't going to handle this well what were your solutions?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Stock PCM can handle it fine. TUNE on the stock PCM isn't quite as healthy.

Flyin' Ryan Performance and Marty Fletcher can sell you a SCT or equivalent with a tune on it to run the 5.9 better.

I'd study up the reviews of both (note: I like Ryan better; YMMV), and talk to them about the best cam heads etc.

For MY money; a unmodified kegger intake and a set of EngineQuest heads is what I'd do for intake and heads. But again, talk to your tuner; they know what works from experience. I just read a lot.

BTW - Check carefully. Most years the 5.2 and 5.9 got the exact same camshaft ...

And if you want more lift, use the stock cam, and a set of 1.7 rockers (stock on a Magnum is 1.6), such as the Harland Sharp rockers.

RwP

Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Ralph pretty much nailed it. The harland sharp roller rockers are good bang for the buck. Tuner is something else that will help. (in some cases, a LOT) Keep in mind, you need to use the flexplate from the 360 as well. 5.2 is internally balanced, 5.9 is external balance.

EQ heads flow MUCH better than stock. Combine that with a good RV cam, custom tune, (skip the higher ratio rockers if you get a cam, though, roller rockers are a nice improvement even if you keep the same ratio.) headers, and a free flowing exhaust, and you will like the results.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 PM
96blackdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 5.9 im building has to have a cam and lifters anyway. my 5.2 is just a lil tired after 226k and i tow pretty often with it (3k to 7k lbs). my main reason for avoiding doing alott of the heads is that i had heard from a few ppl that they lost alott of torque below 3 thousand rpm. lucky for me the engine im building was misdagnosed by a novice that used to work at my shop and i got to install the replacement only to confirm that i was right and this one just needs a cam and lifters and had a blown plenum.
my main reason for trying to keep the stock pcm intact is so that if i need to replace it later it's not to big a problem to get one, well that and the cost of going aftermarket engine management and still having the trans controlled by either the stock pcm (with sensor data piggy backed to it) or a standalone unit would add a fair bit of funding requirements to this project. i'll do some more research tomorrow when i have time on stock cam specs and try to pick the cam that suits my needs. at this point it's all just planning ahead. i expect for this build to take quite a while as i have a money for a part here and there. i've built plenty of factory spec engines but i've never built anything other than stock so i am doing a bit of learning as to what specs i want to run. i know i've been happy with my 5.2 and the truck is pretty quick i'm just looking to make it tow a bit easier and not burn oil (prior owners worked it harder than i do). thanks for all the input though and i will check out the info you guy have posted. i'm also considering having the crank internally balanced but i'm leaning torwards that being a frivolous thing to do.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I suggest that you read the faq2 sticky ...... Here is just one article out of there that I believe you would be interested in. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...swap-pics.html

Quick Reply: 5.2 to 5.9 swap and build.