1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fire on one cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Repocraig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire on one cylinder

Ok, I'll try to be brief. But I know the more info I give the better my chances of getting the right answer. I have a 94 Dakota sport 2wd 2 door. Originally a 3.9 auto. About 10 years ago I transplanted a 5.2 auto. I drove it for 2 years and the trans blew. It's been sitting since then. Last week I decided to pull the tarp off and bring her back to life. Put in a good used trans, and now I'm trying to get it started. Problem is, it only has spark to no.4. I've replaced the cap, rotor, and pickup coil .With no change...

Old 09-29-2018, 06:49 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Does the rotor spin while cranking the motor? And how do you know it only has spark to #4 cylinder? Next test is, is spark coming OUT of the distributor cap? If it's coming out on the other cylinders, but not making it to the plug, it's a safe bet your wires also failed.

RwP

Old 09-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Repocraig

Originally Posted by RalphP
Does the rotor spin while cranking the motor? And how do you know it only has spark to #4 cylinder? Next test is, is spark coming OUT of the distributor cap? If it's coming out on the other cylinders, but not making it to the plug, it's a safe bet your wires also failed.

RwP
Rotor turns. Tested spark at all plugs. Then used the known good wire and put it on all other plugs. With no spark at any if them except no4

Old 09-29-2018, 11:37 PM
RalphP
Champion

No spark out of the cap? Bad cap or rotor, dude. What else could it be?

Unless it's not on right, and gapping too badly save at #4.

RwP

Old 09-29-2018, 11:42 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

do you have the coil wire on the #4 cylinder tower on the cap? only other thing it could be other than what Ralph said.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Repocraig

??? There are multiple things besides what have been mentioned that can cause the problem. Crank sensor, PCM, poor grounds. I'm hoping someone has had this problem and can narrow it down

Old 09-30-2018, 01:10 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Repocraig
??? There are multiple things besides what have been mentioned that can cause the problem. Crank sensor, PCM, poor grounds. I'm hoping someone has had this problem and can narrow it down
If it's firing AT ALL, it's got crank signal. If it's firing AT ALL, the PCM is firing.

I mean, if it dependably fires on #4 ONLY, it knows when #4 is up to fire, that proves most all of it.

And what ground would kill all but one plug?

I say it again - if the coil is firing each time, and it's not coming out of the distributor but on one wire, it's cap or rotor. That's ALL that's there to pick which cylinder it's firing at any given fire event.

RwP

Old 09-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Repocraig

I've seen crank sensors short out, and randomly fire. I've seen corroded computers do all kinds of crazy things. And a bad ground can cause more problems than I'd care to list. And as stated. The cap, rotor, and pickup coil are all new

Old 09-30-2018, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Test for spark AT the coil. See what ya get.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 AM
Repocraig

The coil is hitting hard

Quick Reply: Fire on one cylinder