1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Resto update

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is but there's enough room to cut a door that's big enough to get the pump through

Old 12-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

So I got all the frame mounts rebuilt and reinforced on Sunday. Now the frame is ready for me to be stripped down and painted. I've gotta pull the engine/trans and transfer case, remove all the brake lines and fuel lines, front suspension. Then I get to get all the rust off and por15 the crap out of it.
i also started cutting out the floor pan
Here's some pics

Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, that's some significant repair work going on there. Think it's great but man you must really love that truck!

Nice job

Steve

Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Yep I definitely love this truck. Best part is I'll be one of the few people that have turned literally every nut and bolt on there vehicle and I'll have the piece of mind knowing I did it right. It'll be better than what Dodge could ever do

Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Yep I definitely love this truck. Best part is I'll be one of the few people that have turned literally every nut and bolt on there vehicle and I'll have the piece of mind knowing I did it right. It'll be better than what Dodge could ever do
That's a nice thing to know. I've done a few conversions over the years, not on Dodges, you get a good feeling knowing that you've touched about every part on the car.

If you figure out exactly where to cut to make a door for the fuel filter let me know, I would really like to cut an access door so pump replacement will not be a big pita. At one time I stumbled across a Dakota ext cab in a junk yard that had a hole cut for the filter but like an idiot I forgot to write down the dimensions and precise location of the hole.

Steve

Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
That's a nice thing to know. I've done a few conversions over the years, not on Dodges, you get a good feeling knowing that you've touched about every part on the car.

If you figure out exactly where to cut to make a door for the fuel filter let me know, I would really like to cut an access door so pump replacement will not be a big pita. At one time I stumbled across a Dakota ext cab in a junk yard that had a hole cut for the filter but like an idiot I forgot to write down the dimensions and precise location of the hole.

Steve
Ummm ....

Up until 1994 model year, there's a fuel filter attached to the frame rail under the driver's seat under the cab ...

WHY would you cut a hole to get to the filter?

That hole would be for the fuel PUMP ... which also has a filter (save for the 1987 V6 and for the ESC/Feedback carb I4 ... which I'm not sure which year they went to an in tank pump for those!) but still.

Try the frame mounted filter FIRST.

Side note: If you trim the feed hose down a small bit, you can swap to the 92/93 filter for the older trucks; it's inline, not with both inlet and outlet pointing towards the front of the truck. This will help get rid of a U-bend.

RwP

Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

I'll be running brand new stainless lines and there won't be any hard bends in mine. I'm running them straight down the top of the frame. Why Dodge put so many bends in the line is kinda stupid. I will be cutting a door for my pump eventually but that's a ways down the road before I get there

Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I am envious of your shop and the job. Thanks for the pics good stuff.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Are you going to sand blast it? I too, like por15 but it would be nice to remove all the rust, especially considering all the work you are doing

Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
Ummm ....

Up until 1994 model year, there's a fuel filter attached to the frame rail under the driver's seat under the cab ...

WHY would you cut a hole to get to the filter?

That hole would be for the fuel PUMP ... which also has a filter (save for the 1987 V6 and for the ESC/Feedback carb I4 ... which I'm not sure which year they went to an in tank pump for those!) but still.

Try the frame mounted filter FIRST.

Side note: If you trim the feed hose down a small bit, you can swap to the 92/93 filter for the older trucks; it's inline, not with both inlet and outlet pointing towards the front of the truck. This will help get rid of a U-bend.

RwP
Sorry Ralph, it was late when I posted that, I meant fuel pump and not filter. My 94 has the rotten pump mounted filter / regulator (unfortunately) and I wish it didn't. I would really prefer to have a frame rail mounted filter that I can change. Unfortunately I found out that my truck fell after the cutoff when I went to change the filter a while back and it wasn't present on the rail.

Again would like to know location for pump access if anyone knows. I should have measured the location on that truck I ran across but unfortunately I didn't.

Steve

Quick Reply: Resto update