1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlights Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Drys
The first post was and the second post was me seeking interest if it's a possible modification for my '95 as I am looking to upgrade the housings.
So, does your truck have the halogens or the "Aero" headlights? Both were available.

If it has the Aero, you could upgrade to a HID projector set; there's enough room in there for the smaller ones.

If 4x6 already, well, you've got the same choices I have.

RwP

Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM
RalphP
Champion

I'll add that there's probably better choice to get a 9004/9007 LED that would possibly work better. But!

YOU HAVE TO GET THE FOG OFF THE LENSES!!

I can NOT emphasize that enough!

I'd also try some NightBreakers or some other high end halogen first; plus, add the relay.

Add the relay no matter WHAT you do; the wiring's too small, and it runs too far, for the lights to work effectively.

RwP

Old 01-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Drys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I'll add that there's probably better choice to get a 9004/9007 LED that would possibly work better. But!

YOU HAVE TO GET THE FOG OFF THE LENSES!!

I can NOT emphasize that enough!

I'd also try some NightBreakers or some other high end halogen first; plus, add the relay.

Add the relay no matter WHAT you do; the wiring's too small, and it runs too far, for the lights to work effectively.

RwP
Do you have a link to buy a relay somewhere?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

For people interested in the 4x6 replacement headlights I did a little checking online. The part number for the 'buckets' is 3868926 / 3868927 and if you look those up it said those are applicable for 1987-96 Dakota, so in support of my original claim that the headlight parts never changed for 4x6 from 87-96 even though the rad support did etc.

For aero people, I 'defogged' my aero composite headlights with 1200 grit sandpaper and then polishing compound on a buffing wheel. While it makes the situation much better you're still pushing light through a plastic lens which is IMO not entirely clear.

This is before / after comparison, on the right is sanded polished headlight on the left nothing. I never did the one on the left, I found a brand new TYC headlight at the JY for $5 so I got that instead. And I've seen Dakota (and other plastics) headlights that are worse than mine were, but like Ralph said when you get older the lighting is even more important, so that's the main reason I'm switching to the 4x6 setup.

Honestly, I wish there was enough room in there to fit the 200mm rectangular H4 headlights or even the 7" round H4 type, but that's just way too much custom work for me at this point.

Steve

Last edited by glenlloyd; 01-03-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: wrong photo first time around
Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Drys
Do you have a link to buy a relay somewhere?
For the 9007 headlights, here's a representative unit:

Amazon Amazon

That's NOT the only one out there, BTW! That's just representative.

If you go 9003, you'll need one more like
Amazon Amazon

If you keep the 4666, enjoy hand making one.

(TBH - I made a 4666 one, then adapted to 9003/H4 bulbs, so I can keep as much wiring as possible native.)

RwP

Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe not; the 4x6 halogen was standard equipment until 1996

RwP

Did not know this....... I have never seen, or at least noticed any of the 92 and up being anything other then the plastic housings.... Good to know, and thanks for correcting!

Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Did not know this....... I have never seen, or at least noticed any of the 92 and up being anything other then the plastic housings.... Good to know, and thanks for correcting!
At least fleet purchases were 4x6 standard; I don't know, as I said, it may be 95% to 99% came Aero, but it was an "option". Like carpet instead of rubber floor covering; AM/FM radio (yes, you could order a 1988 with an AM mono, or even no, radio); etc.

I'm just pleasantly surprised they didn't do a 3-on-the-tree manual transmission.

RwP

Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Drys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, does your truck have the halogens or the "Aero" headlights? Both were available.

If it has the Aero, you could upgrade to a HID projector set; there's enough room in there for the smaller ones.

If 4x6 already, well, you've got the same choices I have.

RwP
I am not exactly sure. These are my lights:

Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

OK, my headlights work again. Replaced the switch with a Mopar replacement. Not too bad of a job. Plug was a little hard to get off the old switch. The cowling under the steering wheel a bit of a PITA to put back on (screw alignment). Other than that not a big deal. The new switch had a broken tab on it (where the plug snaps in). So only one plug tab is holding it on but doesn't seem to be any problem. New switch works like a champ. Back in the saddle again. Switch cost me $54 off of Amazon.

Remove 8-10 screws from dash face. Remove cowling underneath steering column. Remove five screws around headlight switch. Pull **** out (hold down release button on switch). Unplug (two tabs need to be released). Reverse process. There's a video on You Tube too for a 93 Dakota.

Thanks for the input fellas. Ed

Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

At least fleet purchases were 4x6 standard; I don't know, as I said, it may be 95% to 99% came Aero, but it was an "option". Like carpet instead of rubber floor covering; AM/FM radio (yes, you could order a 1988 with an AM mono, or even no, radio); etc.

I'm just pleasantly surprised they didn't do a 3-on-the-tree manual transmission.

RwP
Ralph I think your original assessment is correct, I don't believe it was exclusively fleet purchases. I have seen too many sealed beam front ends on trucks that were clearly not fleet. Also, on trucks up to 93 (so far) so that precludes 91 as the cutoff for it. The Wikipedia that declares 91 only should be modified.

This is the donor for the first front end I found, bought the whole thing off that one, this truck is a 1993 and no indication that the front end was ever modified.

Found this one in NE Iowa junk yard in Rowley over Christmas, it's a 1992, bought the grille and headlamp trims from this one too, too nice to leave there!

This one was also non-aero front end, but I never checked the year. It was 4 cyl 5 speed truck

Another 4 cyl MT non-aero front end, could not check year on it but it was base and it could have been a fleet truck?

Steve

Quick Reply: Headlights Don't Work