1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlights Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 431 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Headlights Don't Work

1993 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L

My headlights crapped out. Can't say I'm totally surprised. Over the last few weeks the **** for the headlights would get stuck when I pushed it in to turn them off. Had to push it hard to get past the hangup. Eventually figured I could pull it to one side and it would go in easier. Now the headlights wont turn on. Running lights OK. Just no headlights. I can turn on the brights and hold them on but as soon as I let go the headlights go back out. It seems pretty obvious the headlight switch is shot but thought I'd run it by you guys for any ideas.

Thanks....Ed

Old 12-29-2018, 07:34 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Headlight switch.

I'd also pick up the connector repair kit, and solder it in while I was doing.

ALSO - consider a headlight relay harness to get the current OFF the switch. This also helps it to increase the brightness of the headlights.

RwP

Old 12-29-2018, 08:04 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Thanks Ralph. I just ordered the switch 10 minutes before reading your post. Got an OEM switch for $53. Wasn't gonna buy the $17 Chinese knockoff. Should be an easy repair. I'll inspect the wiring/connector to be sure it isn't fried. Wondering how that **** comes out of the switch. Is there a release button or similar for that?

Old 12-29-2018, 09:01 PM
RalphP
Champion

Release button.

Spend the dosh, grab a copy of the factory service manual (says "Mopar" or "Bishko" on it) and it'll be MOST useful to you as you repair your own truck over the years to come.

RwP

Old 12-29-2018, 11:17 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you need any other parts or whatever lemme know I got a parts truck sitting here, trying to give stuff away.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had to do the same recently. I had noticed that the original HL switch was a little jinky and one day when leaving the store I manhandled it a bit much and I didn't get any headlights so I had to weave my way across town with parking lights only, getting flashed by every car I met along the way.

Got 90% of the way home stopped at a traffic light, fiddled with it again and they came back. Next day installed a spare I had around.

Replacement glass 4x6 H4 euro headlights should be here sometime this week and I'll get busy building a new wiring harness that doesn't power the lights via the switch, that should help. Cant wait to do the new setup.

Steve

Old 12-30-2018, 10:23 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Thanks guys!

Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I had to do the same recently. I had noticed that the original HL switch was a little jinky and one day when leaving the store I manhandled it a bit much and I didn't get any headlights so I had to weave my way across town with parking lights only, getting flashed by every car I met along the way.

Got 90% of the way home stopped at a traffic light, fiddled with it again and they came back. Next day installed a spare I had around.

Replacement glass 4x6 H4 euro headlights should be here sometime this week and I'll get busy building a new wiring harness that doesn't power the lights via the switch, that should help. Cant wait to do the new setup.

Steve
Just as a note - I found the Night Breaker and Night Laser H4s were the best for night driving in my HELLA lights. And the HELLA 100W bulbs were a LOT dimmer on high ...

Also, the HELLA headlights are a lot better than the cheaper ones I tried for a few years there.

Down side, I haven't yet found a good HID projector retrofit; le sigh. Plan is to add some driving lights on that bumper mount, after I swap the bumper (new one is in the back yard, it's a combo of tired most of the time / working / bad weather slowing me down.)

Dang I wish I had a garage. *grumps*

RwP

Old 12-31-2018, 12:29 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Just as a note - I found the Night Breaker and Night Laser H4s were the best for night driving in my HELLA lights. And the HELLA 100W bulbs were a LOT dimmer on high ...

Also, the HELLA headlights are a lot better than the cheaper ones I tried for a few years there.

Down side, I haven't yet found a good HID projector retrofit; le sigh. Plan is to add some driving lights on that bumper mount, after I swap the bumper (new one is in the back yard, it's a combo of tired most of the time / working / bad weather slowing me down.)

Dang I wish I had a garage. *grumps*

RwP
I agree, the Hella are nice lights, I have had them before in the 200mm version that I've run on several cars, gen 2 RX7, Peugeot 505 TD, VW Fox. The Cibie headlights are even better but those are even more expensive.

I've also lost Hella H4 lights over the years due to thrown rocks and since I don't wanna have to replace I am installing the Autopal lamps, which I've also had on several cars and have not been disappointed at all, especially at the price point. And at one point I've had Lucas 200mm headlights too. One of those got nailed by rocks too unfortunately. And finally, my favorite headlights are Marchal but those are about as pricey as you can get anymore, along with Ducellier.

I was also digging around in the garage attic and found my box of Fog / driving lights and my late 80's Bosch Pilot fogs are probably going to be installed plus I found another set of smaller lights that I think can be fitted to the front to help with visibility. I'll know more about that in the near future.

I'll have a look at the bulbs you recommend too, I know there are some really crappy ones out there.

Steve

Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM
RalphP
Champion

My AutoPal headlights ... melted on me.

So I'm using the Hellas.

I may look for some Marchal or Ducellier in case they're deeper and can do projectors better.

RwP

Quick Reply: Headlights Don't Work