1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

At Wit's End With '91

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Napa sent me home with the wrong relay; they gave me a 'shielded' one. Tell me this; can i just use my 'ac clutch relay' for the asd? I've been assuming that each relay is different

Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
Napa sent me home with the wrong relay; they gave me a 'shielded' one. Tell me this; can i just use my 'ac clutch relay' for the asd? I've been assuming that each relay is different
Check the part number on the side.

And there's a chance that shielded one will work just fine.

The pictures show the same relay my Dakota (a 1988) uses; if so, a cheap Bosch style will plug in and fit long enough to test (and I bought 10 of those for like $12 off Amazon; using them for lights etc.)

The pictures on RockAuto show basically the same relay (some choices are SPDT; ASD is SPST, but the SPDT relay, if you have a hole for the extra pin, will fit and work fine.)

RwP

Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

part number huh; didn't think to even look; i'm bringing this one to napa. this shielded one physically wont go into my box. the one i need is a small black plastic unshielded square with four spade connectors.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:02 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Just went out the the truck starts up and idles fine. i kill it then repeat; same thing, starts and idles fine. next i did the check engine light deal and got no codes. Now it won't start! just cranks. oh and the fuel pump does kick on while in the no start state...no one here to help me check spark...........looking for matches again

Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gonna say it's spark issue. You could pull the front plug on the driver side, and lay it up on the cowl just outside the windshield, crank it over and check for spark that way. Make sure it's grounded and look between the electrode, and the ground tab. If it starts it'll sounds funny. Should have a bright blue spark. Just don't touch it while your cranking, you may not like the results lol. Could be the injectors not activating also. A fuel pressure gauge would be good thing. 91 would have tbi?? Like my d150. I'd start checking wires, could be a broken wire somewhere. I'd check the wires at the injectors, and coil, and distributor. Maybe wiggle the wires at each component and try to start it. Two people would a good thing. One to crank, and one to wiggle the wires. Narrowing it down anyways. Check all your grounds. I believe there might be one back by the distributor on the passenger side of the intake.

Last edited by rebeltaz83; 02-20-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Good info; thanks. i'm pretty much useless on my own. i'll have to wait till my outa town mech buddy to find time to drive over..Yet Again. thanks

Old 02-20-2019, 09:41 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Thanks everyone. yall's insight is much valued. When my bud can make the drive over here, i'll show him this thread and maybe betwixt all of us, we'll get to the bottom of it. Please go ahead and leave me all the comments and thoughts that may occur to ya and i'll check back here at some point. Cheers

Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

My mechanic still hasn't looked at it yet. It's been in a crank/no start state until today when it fires right up like nothings wrong. The weather had turned cold all day and all night, a little below 30degrees. Could that be a factor in figuring out this mess? Did the cold temp maybe account for it starting or not. Just thought i'd throw that out there. Thanks fellers

Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinSandidge
My mechanic still hasn't looked at it yet. It's been in a crank/no start state until today when it fires right up like nothings wrong. The weather had turned cold all day and all night, a little below 30degrees. Could that be a factor in figuring out this mess? Did the cold temp maybe account for it starting or not. Just thought i'd throw that out there. Thanks fellers
It's possible......

Old 03-06-2019, 03:04 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's possible......
Wow cool. What if the temp sensor is faulty. would it send a reading to the ecm saying don't let the truck start? actually im not seeing that it would cause a no start. symptoms are black smoke, poor gas mileage, check engine light. i have none of these. Then i read this, "The coolant temperature sensor can also fail in a manner that causes it to send a permanently hot signal. This can cause the computer to incorrectly compensate for a lean signal, which can result in overheating, and even misfires or engine ping."

Last edited by KevinSandidge; 03-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: At Wit's End With '91