1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Band Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:50 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Transmission Band Adjustment

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L V8
174,000 miles, original owner
Transmission: A518

I don't know if that is the correct number for the Tranny. It doesn't look like the standard "R.." number format I have seen but it is what was on the hood sticker. Not sure how I can find the correct number for the tranny. Anyhow, I have a question about transmission band adjustments. Should tranny bands be adjusted only if there is a known or suspected problem that requires adjustment or should band adjustments be a part of periodic, preventative maintenance? It certainly does not appear to be a difficult job. My bands have never been adjusted and I have no signs of shifting problems. I lean toward not touching them but I want to get some opinions.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

46RH, same thing. Naming nomenclature changed over the years.

Supposedly, band adjustment is a scheduled maintenance item. (every 30K miles or so, same time as fluid/filter change) But, if it isn't a problem..... I would be tempted to leave it as well. Maybe think about it next time you do the fluid/filter.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:13 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
46RH, same thing. Naming nomenclature changed over the years.

Supposedly, band adjustment is a scheduled maintenance item. (every 30K miles or so, same time as fluid/filter change) But, if it isn't a problem..... I would be tempted to leave it as well. Maybe think about it next time you do the fluid/filter.
Yeah, kind of my thinking too HY. I changed my fluid/filter not too long ago so as you say, maybe next time I dig into it. As far as I can tell there are only two adjustments. The front band (on the exterior of the tranny) and the reverse band (on the interior of the tranny) which requires draining the fluid and removing the filter. I also saw someone mention a spring on the interior that can get brittle and fracture over time. Perhaps one of those things that is worth swapping out as a preventative measure while doing a fluid/filter change. Don't know what you know about this.

Oh, and thanks for the model number clarification.

Last edited by bronze; 03-01-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Band Adjustment