1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

mix and match fuel tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM
jml74
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mix and match fuel tanks?

Hello, all. The fuel tank on my '87 Dakota (V6 longbed) cracked a while back up at the shoulder on the top; it was a bad enough crack that gas poured out when I filled up, and it was high enough up that I had to take the bed off to even get to it. I could not for the life of me find a replacement tank, so I put some JB Weld fuel tank epoxy on there and it held for a while, but now the crack has grown. Rather than keep playing whack-a-mole with the epoxy until it cracks all the way to the bottom, I'm now on the hunt again for a replacement tank. Does anyone know if all fuel tanks from this generation are interchangeable? I've got the 15-gal. tank, if I find a 22-gal. at the junkyard will it drop in? These trucks are getting hard to find at the junkyard, but I found a local one that has a '91 Dakota that's listed as a V8. I didn't think the V8 was an option that year but if that's accurate, is it the same tank? Failing all of that, can anyone tell me where to find an aftermarket tank?

EDIT: I was wrong, the '91 was indeed available as a V8, and, AFAICT, still only had 15- and 22-gal fuel tanks available. So I guess my only question is if I happen to find a 22-gal, will it drop into my truck that currently has the 15-gal., or is there actually something different going on under the bed?

Last edited by jml74; 03-08-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:28 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it's the same tank options for all 1st gens but I could be wrong. If you're anywhere near CT I have a spare tank I think it's 15 gal from a '94, free to a good or bad home.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:34 PM
jml74
Amateur

Originally Posted by tbugden
I think it's the same tank options for all 1st gens but I could be wrong. If you're anywhere near CT I have a spare tank I think it's 15 gal from a '94, free to a good or bad home.
I'm not, but I'm getting desperate enough that if I don't find something soon I'd pay whatever outrageous shipping costs plus something for your time.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

An old trick from dealing with steel that cracks is to find the end of the crack and drill a hole to stop it spreading. Then grind it to get it ready for a weld. I think that would work in plastic too. You want to go up to 1/8th inch at least maybe even 1/4th by steps. Go as small as you can to be sure you've got the end of it, then up in size.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM
jml74
Amateur

Oh for Pete's sake. I just looked up the pricing online for the junkyard and saw this:
FUEL TANK (WILL BE PUNCTURED)

Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM
jml74
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
An old trick from dealing with steel that cracks is to find the end of the crack and drill a hole to stop it spreading. Then grind it to get it ready for a weld. I think that would work in plastic too. You want to go up to 1/8th inch at least maybe even 1/4th by steps. Go as small as you can to be sure you've got the end of it, then up in size.
I've heard of doing that with cast iron, but I don't know if it will help with plastic or not. If it comes down to it I may have to try it, though.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:24 PM
1202diesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might by better off to buy an aftermarket one, in whatever capacity youd like, and fab up some hangers/mounts for it, can even get it in aluminum and save the weight. Could relocate fuel filter/pump. sending unit type stuff to outside the tank for future ease of maintenance. Ive got a friend who had an old first gen ram that the tank fell apart on him and was unsalvageable. He bought a 120 litre slip tank/tool box combo and plumbed everything into that. Made offroading a lot more comfortable knowing you have less stuff to hit on rocks. And to top it off, the hoses/filter(s), pump and associated wiring was all in the toolbox portion of the thing and hidden away from elements. Real nice being able to change a fuel filter in 45 seconds flat. Ive already checked this option out and done some research and placement stuff on this for my 95 Dakota for when mine finally kicks the bucket. It was leaking at one point, fixed that, and had to splice some sections of the lines. Next fuel issue im dropping in a 60 litre fuel cell, and going threaded stainless braided lines all the way with the all the goodies mounted in a small box in the toolbox above the tank. Priced out roughly will/would be $500 Canadian if I buy the tank/toolbox second hand. New is somewhere more like $800.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a 87 dakota as well. The tank is unique for that year...... 88 and up have an electric fuel pump.... The 87 has a mechanical pump. May be able to make it work, but not a bolt in.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 PM
jml74
Amateur

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I have a 87 dakota as well. The tank is unique for that year...... 88 and up have an electric fuel pump.... The 87 has a mechanical pump. May be able to make it work, but not a bolt in.
Dammit. If it's not one thing it's another.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:47 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Did a search got this result 3 tanks
https://www.partshotlines.com/component/phl/search/

If you do the search from your house it will get places closer to you.

Quick Reply: mix and match fuel tanks?