1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cold are intake/ More efficent muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Jacob18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold are intake/ More efficent muffler

I own a 1992 3.9L Rwd dakota.
I've heard both good and bad about putting a cold air intake on the truck.
What do you guys think? Is it worth it? some people say since the air hose for the stock intake already goes out to the grill that it would make no difference

Also, I have a stock muffler on the truck, looking at something to add a bit more horsepower.
I know that it doesnt give much more power but i'll take what I can get with the small motor. And I wouldnt mind a new sound to listen to
Does anyone know a good/reliable site that sells any? I've looked around but most sites seem sketchy or I cant find the statistics of the muffler

Thanks in advance everybody!!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The factory intake IS a cold air intake; most CAIs are actually hot air intakes without proper baffling to isolate from the under hood heat.

I'd look for a good air filter on the stock air cleaner first.

*is amused*

Before you mess with a muffler -

1) Tune it up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, oil breather, and a Mopar PCV valve.

2) Get the transmission bands adjusted.

3) Replace the O2 sensor. NOW. At its age, it's going bad and robbing you of both fuel economy AND performance!

4) Clean the truck; empty the bed; and wax and polish the paint on it.

5) Check your tires. Put them at proper inflation pressure.

6) Consider the entire exhaust system - that cat is probably partially plugged at this age.

7) Being a 1992, it's got EGR. Clean that out and make sure it's working right. (No, it won't rob you of power in town and coming off the line. That's bull**** from folks that don't know how it works. If it IS robbing you, it's broke, fix it.)

8) Consider stiffer gears for more oomph.

After that ... Heh. It's going to depend on what you want. I run a cat, but also a Thrush Glasspack with factory tail pipe. Works for me.

RwP

Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Dyno tests have shown that your muffler makes zero difference in power output. It's all about how it sounds, and that's it.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to replace the intake system with a new cold air intake I would go wit a K&N.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Jacob18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing a motor swap in it at some point so im holding off on plugs and wires.
Thats what I thought with the cold air intake but I wanted to be sure
Thanks for the info RalphP

Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

On exhaust system- The motor is a big air pump, the bigger the exhaust pipe the more air can move through it. So that will affect power not the muffler so much.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
On exhaust system- The motor is a big air pump, the bigger the exhaust pipe the more air can move through it. So that will affect power not the muffler so much.
While this statement is in and of itself true, adding a bigger exhaust pipe will not flow any more air unless the intake, valves and pistons are also increased in size. You can't squeeze any more volume of air into a certain cubic inch space, that is, unless you go FI...

Old 04-02-2019, 03:55 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Also, a larger exhaust pipe MAY work against the air pump; when it's sized right, the reversion pulses will work WITH the combustions causing an improved venturi effect, causing better scavaging of the exhaust gases, causing more of the charge being, well, fresh fuel/air.

Too big, the velocity drops too low, and it quits sucking, Which actually does suck ...

RwP

Old 04-02-2019, 05:08 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
While this statement is in and of itself true, adding a bigger exhaust pipe will not flow any more air unless the intake, valves and pistons are also increased in size. You can't squeeze any more volume of air into a certain cubic inch space, that is, unless you go FI...
Also true. I have the 94 and while I did not get the 93 exhaust manifolds, I did go with the Walker Y pipe and exhaust all the way back which are quite a bit larger than the OE and it made a big difference to me. It also sounds nice If I ever decide to rebuild it I will probably get a mandrel bent Y, Is that the correct term?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:04 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The 3.9 has very little aftermarket support... Start by swapping to a 5.9 magnum......

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 04-03-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold are intake/ More efficent muffler