1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

EFI control solutions for OBD I - 95 Dakota 5.2L

Old 05-18-2019, 12:09 AM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
If you end up trying to convert the system from OBD 1 to OBD 2 please consider this.

Before you modify your motor, do the conversion and get it running correctly.
Below are my reasons I would do this.

1. You know your truck is running correctly now. So the only changes would be the upgraded OBD 2 system.
If there are any bugs, ie incorrect wiring, sensors incompatible, injectors wrong, whatever may pop up, you can iron out those problems before you start your mods.

2. If you do it all at once, heads, cam, wiring, and programming, and have a problem,
a. is it the wiring?
b. something not compatible?
c. and a biggie, is tuning correct?

Twice, I have been down this path, and mine, did not include a computer change. Just programming engine mods.
I have a 93 corvette. I switched out the cam, heads, and added long tube headers. Purchased a tune and it ran extremely rich at idle. Tuner kept saying problem was my car. Went to another tuner, he straightened it out. Bottom line was, it was the first tuner had it all wrong.
Years latter, Bored and stroked it, bigger cam, better heads, different injectors, etc. This time the tune was lean on top end. Again, back and forth with the tuner. Finally took it in to be dyno tuned. Turned out my injectors were not flowing anyways near as much as they should. He replaced the injectors and now it is fine.

Believe me, you dont want to end up trying to figure out why your truck does not run right with too many variables in the mix,
Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out!!
I agree with you. This is something that has to be planned out. I'm wondering why I couldn't keep the harness in the vehicle and simply build a subharness that adapts the plug on the existing OBD I system to the OBD II control module. I've asked for the 95 and 96 pin diagrams to be able to see how feasible this would be. This would also give me the possibility of going back to the existing OBD I system if things don't work out for whatever reason.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I think the biggest problem with an adapter will be the additional O2 sensor(s); but if you're doing a O2 simulator, or tuning them out, then that's not a problem.

Doing this you'll probably need to put an OBDII connector on the adapter also.

There are some other variances (for instance, the cruise control wiring is different into the ECU between the two years - or at least, the wiring out of the steering column is different!)

As I mentioned elsewhere, the 95 and 96 FSMs are both in the FAQ here; the pinout info will be in there.

RwP

Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM
Snowman451
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.diyautotune.com all the way.

I will be installing a MS2 or a MicroSquirt in the next year or so. If it is up to task, the MicroSquirt may be the best option for a beginning tuner as there are less data points to have to set.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:58 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snowman451
www.diyautotune.com all the way.

I will be installing a MS2 or a MicroSquirt in the next year or so. If it is up to task, the MicroSquirt may be the best option for a beginning tuner as there are less data points to have to set.

It's a pain in the butt with these trucks. My recommendation is to save for the money and spend it for the whole unit with caveman education needed to tune these things. Microsquirt takes quite a bit to understand and to have these run like a top. I am saving for the retro fit mpi that fastefi is selling. You can reuse the the intake or buy a different one.

If you are rebuilding your engine definitely recommended to swap to la series intake and then tbi. It will be cheaper in the long run and definitely worth the ease of installation. Almost everyone sells aftermarket tbi efi.

Note with these engines you will need to swap the distributor to make these things work. The difference of pulse vs sequential.

If you just want to run the truck in the mean time until you have the cash. Reuse the obd1 on your v8 then find a dodge inteprid I think 1997-2002 and swap the fuel pressure regulator. Ours will has max 45psi while there's is 60psi. This way you can save your engine from leaning out.

That's how I am keeping my swapped motor going.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE=T.C.;3441002.If you are rebuilding your engine definitely recommended to swap to la series intake and then tbi.

.[/QUOTE]

Or use the Edelbrock 7577 intake. Its designed to fit the magnum and work with a 4bbl carb,..... so the tbi self learning units will bolt to it.
One caution on using the LA style intakes..... They cause the thermostat housing to interfere with the ac bracket....
It seems that the edelbrock 7577 fits best when keeping the magnum accessory drive...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EFI control solutions for OBD I - 95 Dakota 5.2L