1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota, Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019 | 12:12 PM
RalphP
Champion

Yes, clean them with contact cleaner, and use some fresh dielectric grease on reassembly.

It's a cuss worthy job, to be sure; but it's amazing how many ECUs get turned in that nobody can find a problem with, but the actual problem is a bad contact. (Contacts are almost ALWAYS the first thing to give fits on electronics when they're not enviromentally strained or drowned.)

RwP

Old 09-24-2019 | 02:17 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

10-4

All the wires have been removed. Close to 60 of them. All terminals have been slightly squeezed. All are labeled so I know how they go back.

But here is a potential problem. About half of those puny little tabs that held the round terminal in the connector cavities have broken off. Have to say, it would be impossible not to break at least some of them. They are incredibly fragile. Soooooo, does this spell trouble for me when I go to plug the harness back into the PCM? Will the connectors get pushed back out when I plug the harness back into the ECM?

Old 09-24-2019 | 03:05 PM
RalphP
Champion

They might; that's why you use the depinner to release the tabs to pull them out.

OTOH, if you leave the back off, you might be able to push them on and then reassemble the housing for the connector. I haven't looked, so don't know if you can or not.

RwP

Old 09-24-2019 | 03:41 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
They might; that's why you use the depinner to release the tabs to pull them out.

OTOH, if you leave the back off, you might be able to push them on and then reassemble the housing for the connector. I haven't looked, so don't know if you can or not.

RwP
Here is a listing on ebay that shows my exact part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Dodge-...MAAOSwp8RdZJaF

Old 09-24-2019 | 04:06 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
I was thinking the same thing. And I'd almost have to do each one, one at a time. If I tried putting all the wires back in the connector and then shoved in on I'd likely not see all the ones that get pushed out.

Old 09-24-2019 | 04:14 PM
RalphP
Champion

The biggest problem is that the red retainer won't be able to be installed with the connector on the ECU. Although, if you leave the back off, you might be able to push the last of the pins back on.

RwP

Old 09-24-2019 | 05:29 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

So you're saying the terminals wont be able to plug into the pins with that red retainer in the way?

I kinda gathered this as I went to put back two of the wires and they don't seem to sink in all the way. Didn't know if that was because I could not get enough oomph to push the terminal over the pin because all I have to grab on is the wire once the terminal is buried. I know the insulation was buried about 1/3 - 1/2 an inch into the connector when I was taking them out. Now I just get the terminal in and I can get it no further.

The two pins I pushed in from the back (with connector installed on the ECM) back out with no problem.

Can I buy a new connector somewhere?

Last edited by bronze; 09-24-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2019 | 06:25 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Here's a picture of those tiny tabs that busted off. If there's a special tool that keeps someone from breaking those tabs I'd like to see it. Can hardly see them inside the connector. I'm not the most graceful person but I'm not a clod either. I was being very gentle but obviously not good enuf.

Old 09-24-2019 | 07:27 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

And finally...

I pulled the retainers out and re-plugged the connector into the ECM. The wires are going in much deeper...where they were before I pulled them. Nothing holding them in though. Feeling better.

The wife comes out and looks at my wad of wires that looks like the end of a mop and asks, "Who told you to do that?" I says, "Some guy on the internet." She says, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Ye of little faith.

Old 09-24-2019 | 08:31 PM
RalphP
Champion

Hee!

Well, that's what the depinner is for; it's supposed to barely fit over the outside and depress those tabs so you can pull the pin or socket out the back.

AFTER you remove the retainer, that is.

I hope this all works for you. If not, you might want to investigate a new connector, but before that, I'd toss in the towel on the PCM and replace it.

Again, my steps are through the more likely and cheapest to the less likely and most expensive.

RwP

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota, Crank but no start