1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota, Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019 | 05:48 PM
RalphP
Champion

You're welcome.

Good chance that just a good cleaning - or even removing/installing about 3 or 4 times! - might have done it.

But you're good now anyway.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
bronze (11-22-2019)
Old 11-24-2019 | 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think disassembling it is the best way to clean it....

Old 11-24-2019 | 10:40 AM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think disassembling it is the best way to clean it....
There's no doubt about it. Disassembling that 60-pin connector, cinching up the terminals, and giving everything a thorough cleaning is the best way to ensure you're getting good, solid electrical connections. No two ways about it. However, I am here to say that taking 60 wires out of that connector was a major PITA!! There was no tool I could find that could move the tabs out of the way without breaking them. Maybe the one that is specified in the Dodge manual (wherever anyone could find one of those), but none of those standard de-pinning tools you find online or at auto parts stores were designed for that connector. None of them. Sadly, I completely trashed my 60-pin connector pulling the wires out. I used a standard microdriver and it broke almost all the tabs. Fortunately, I found an exact replacement connector on E-Bay that I used for a replacement (the harness was chopped with about a foot of it hanging out the connector). I had to take out the wires using my own custom tooling...a ground down microdriver with depth gauge to move the tab back and pieces of credit card to use as a backstop preventing the tabs from bending too far and breaking off. It worked perfectly fine and I was able to remove the wires without damaging the connector.

So while I agree with you, I would highly recommend unplugging and cleaning the connector and pins and reconnecting before going thru the hell I went thru. I don't see the average person doing what I had to do. Glad I did it the way I did but that's easy to say now that it's over with.

Old 11-25-2019 | 01:56 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

Just going to post on this one instead of making a new post.
91 died again after I put a new fuel pump in. It ran fine for a few days but all of a sudden died while idling. Got it to start after a few minutes of waiting but it died again, waited a bit and it started and died. Now nothing, I gave it a shot of ether and it popped right off so its not a spark issue but it sounds like both the injectors and fuel pump have no power.
I'm stumped, thinking about putting a mechanical fuel pump on the motor and converting it to carborated because the fuel injection system has given me nothing but problems

Old 11-25-2019 | 08:02 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by chasebh89
Just going to post on this one instead of making a new post.
91 died again after I put a new fuel pump in. It ran fine for a few days but all of a sudden died while idling. Got it to start after a few minutes of waiting but it died again, waited a bit and it started and died. Now nothing, I gave it a shot of ether and it popped right off so its not a spark issue but it sounds like both the injectors and fuel pump have no power.
I'm stumped, thinking about putting a mechanical fuel pump on the motor and converting it to carborated because the fuel injection system has given me nothing but problems
If it has spark, the ASD is turning on.

If there's no fuel pressure, there's no fuel TO inject.

I'd check fuel pressure, check the fuel pump relay, and make sure that new fuel pump didn't fail.

Or, you know, make the truck run worse ... your problem at this point is an easy problem, no fuel. So we find out why there's no fuel. Some time with a multi meter, some time with a fuel pressure gauge, and you're golden.

All it takes is to rationally think about what's happening.

RwP

tndakman (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 07:56 AM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Nothing to add. Ralph said it all.

Old 11-27-2019 | 03:15 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

Could it be possible that it's the ecm? Other parts of the vehicle are acting up in ways it never did until I let it sit. The blinkers no longer work (replaced switch didnt help) but the hazards and the bulbs themselves work. The tach will cut in and out and the ABS fuse burns out randomly (my other 95 dak is doing this too).
Could an old fuel filter cause the pump to burn out? I was going to replace it with the pump but my roommate needed to borrow it urgently so I didnt have time to.

Old 11-27-2019 | 07:01 PM
RalphP
Champion

The blinkers have nothing to do with the ECU; however, there are TWO flasher modules under the dash; one for hazard, one for turn signals. Swap them (they're identical), and see if the problem swaps. If it does, replace BOTH (I used the LED compatible replacements for me.)

For the ABS fuse, I'd be crawling the wiring harness for both of those 95s. Luckily for you, if you don't have it, the factory service manual can be downloaded from the link in the FAQ. Get that, like now.

An old fuel filter won't help any, that's for sure!

RwP

Devon Farber (04-11-2020)
Old 11-27-2019 | 07:03 PM
RalphP
Champion

Oh, and check the wiring - the fuel pump and ASD relays are in parallel on the coils.

If one turns on, the ECU is turning them both on.

At that point, it's the relay, the wiring in the PDU, or the wiring from the PDU to whatever isn't turning on (fuel pump, coil, injectors, etc.)

One more time, quit guessing and CHECK THE FSM.

RwP

Old 12-26-2019 | 12:47 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Almost 13 weeks since reconditioning computer connector and still no problems with engine cutting out.

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota, Crank but no start