1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intermittent--Intermittent wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM
kenap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent--Intermittent wiper problem

My 1992 Dakota wipers work great in cold weather. In warm weather, they don't work at all. Does this sound like a relay problem? If so, where is it located? Thanks to anybody who knows the answer to this problem.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Think I would more suspect the circuit board in the wiper motor....... Is it actually getting power when it doesn't want to work?

Old 08-08-2019, 04:29 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Do you have intermittent wipers (deliberately intermittent), or just two speed wipers?

But basically, 12V is fed from the ignition switch; the intermittent wiper control module grounds the motor as does the park switch on the wiper motor when it's off park. Then when you turn it off, the park switch keeps the ground until the blades park, then the park switch opens turning the wiper motor OFF. There's also a high speed ground for the fast wipers.

You need to check 12V into the wiper motor when it's not working, and check for a connection to ground when the wiper is turned on.

RwP

Old 08-09-2019, 08:36 AM
kenap

Originally Posted by RalphP
Do you have intermittent wipers (deliberately intermittent), or just two speed wipers?

But basically, 12V is fed from the ignition switch; the intermittent wiper control module grounds the motor as does the park switch on the wiper motor when it's off park. Then when you turn it off, the park switch keeps the ground until the blades park, then the park switch opens turning the wiper motor OFF. There's also a high speed ground for the fast wipers.

You need to check 12V into the wiper motor when it's not working, and check for a connection to ground when the wiper is turned on.

RwP
Thank you for responding. This vehicle does have actual intermittent wipers as well as the two speed system. I replaced the wiper motor so I don't think it's a circuit board problem (unless the new motor has a problem, too).

I checked the 12 volts into the motor and it checks out fine.

When the weather is cold, the intermittent system works in all modes. In warm weather, intermittent may give one or two swipes and then nothing. I'm wondering if the contacts are expanding or contracting causing a hit-and -miss situation.

If it IS the control module, where is it located?

Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 AM
RalphP
Champion

For most years (including a 1992!), it's behind the mono speaker grill; well, actually, it's attached to the driver's side tab of the metal grill.

Remove the kick panel, and it should be right there.

For a 1992, the module is a 4503104 in case you have to go hunting for one.

I find them used on Ebay easily enough.

But - if it quits when it's warm, but works when it's cold, I'd remove the housing and hit all the solder joints in case one's failed on you.

(Does the low and high speed work, or not?) If it helps any, in the factory service manual, it's about page 462, or 8W-79 for the paper copy.)

RwP

Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM
kenap

For most years (including a 1992!), it's behind the mono speaker grill; well, actually, it's attached to the driver's side tab of the metal grill.

Remove the kick panel, and it should be right there.

For a 1992, the module is a 4503104 in case you have to go hunting for one.

I find them used on Ebay easily enough.

But - if it quits when it's warm, but works when it's cold, I'd remove the housing and hit all the solder joints in case one's failed on you.

(Does the low and high speed work, or not?) If it helps any, in the factory service manual, it's about page 462, or 8W-79 for the paper copy.)

RwP
The low and high speed works like the intermittent; yes in cold, no in warm weather. I did find the module on eBay and sent away for it. Let's hope this does the trick. If not, it was cheap enough and I'll go from there.

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 08-10-2019, 11:25 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by kenap
The low and high speed works like the intermittent; yes in cold, no in warm weather. I did find the module on eBay and sent away for it. Let's hope this does the trick. If not, it was cheap enough and I'll go from there.

Thank you so much for your help!
Go back on Ebay, and locate the Chrysler Factory Service Manual for your truck also. I see one that's under $20 delivered.

Or if you prefer electronic copies, check http://www.autobooksbishko.com and pick up the CD with the PDF.

Or not; but it'll have the wiring diagrams and the test trees to locate problems quicker and easier.

RwP

Old 08-13-2019, 04:04 PM
kenap

Go back on Ebay, and locate the Chrysler Factory Service Manual for your truck also. I see one that's under $20 delivered.

Or if you prefer electronic copies, check http://www.autobooksbishko.com and pick up the CD with the PDF.

Or not; but it'll have the wiring diagrams and the test trees to locate problems quicker and easier.

RwP
I sent away for the Service Manual. Good idea... Thanks!

Quick Reply: Intermittent--Intermittent wiper problem