1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Radiator Core Support

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Radiator Core Support

I have a 87 Dakota 4wd V6.....
I plan to install 2 electric fans between the radiator and the condenser.
What is involved in removing the core support? FWIW I already have the Grill, condenser and will have the radiator out.
I could weld the brackets in place, but it would be easier with the core support out of the truck.
Thanks for your opinions

Old 08-10-2019, 01:51 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

It should just unbolt from the fenders; although you'll have to take those off first, the battery tray, and anything else bolted to the core support. Also the front bumper.

RwP

Old 08-12-2019, 11:05 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Hey Ralph,
That is kinda what I figured....

I got started trying to mount 2-12 in fans in between. The brackets are easier then I thought, but the clearance is a little less then I had hopped for.
I will be starting a new thread with pictures.....

As always Ralph, thanks for your help and opinion!!

Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM
RalphP
Champion

Heh. I wish my Cougar's core support unbolted; it's welded in, and I'd have to cut it to remove it. That'd make pulling and installing the motor easier, though ...

RwP

Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I have a 87 Dakota 4wd V6.....
I plan to install 2 electric fans between the radiator and the condenser.
What is involved in removing the core support? FWIW I already have the Grill, condenser and will have the radiator out.
I could weld the brackets in place, but it would be easier with the core support out of the truck.
Thanks for your opinions
Why put fans between the two units? It seems like a lot of extra work for little gain. The easiest way would be to just mount the fans for pushing in front of the a/c condenser. Since you have the V-6 and a V-8 was an option, you could also mount them inside on the radiator set to pull air if you're removing the mechanical fan. Otherwise, outside to push would be the way to go.

As for removing the support, you can leave the fenders in place but unbolt them from the support. You'll also need to remove the a/c and radiator from it. There are two big honkin' bolts at the bottom of the support. Take everything off that you can, pry the fenders out and you can wrestle the support out. You'll have to wrestle it back in but you won't have to align the hood or most of the fender bolts. While you have it out, now would be a good time to replace the timing chain if it might need it, replace the hoses and attend to other chores under the hood.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Why put fans between the two units? It seems like a lot of extra work for little gain.

I plan to put a 5.9 magnum in it. The 87-90 do not have enough room to mount fans or use the mech. fan with a V8....

The easiest way would be to just mount the fans for pushing in front of the a/c condenser.

Not enough room with the grill, and IMO it would never flow enough air to cool the motor. Besides, this is the way Shelby did it!!

Since you have the V-6 and a V-8 was an option, you could also mount them inside on the radiator set to pull air if you're removing the mechanical fan. Otherwise, outside to push would be the way to go.

I could if I was keeping the V6 and IMO that would be the best way, but again, no clearance for a V8

As for removing the support, you can leave the fenders in place but unbolt them from the support. You'll also need to remove the a/c and radiator from it. There are two big honkin' bolts at the bottom of the support. Take everything off that you can, pry the fenders out and you can wrestle the support out. You'll have to wrestle it back in but you won't have to align the hood or most of the fender bolts. While you have it out, now would be a good time to replace the timing chain if it might need it, replace the hoses and attend to other chores under the hood.

This winter, hopefully I will do the swap. At that time, I hope to pull the fenders, core, etc. Clean everything up and repaint under the hood.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Go with a custom grill and you might get enough room in front. Keep in mind, the total thickness (radiator, condenser and fans) will be the same however you put it in there. If this is going to be a custom build and not used to haul stuff, you can move the condenser to the bed and blowing up. Less underhood heat, more room for clearance and the engine won't have excess heat from the a/c system to warm it up. Although I do wonder if a later year Sport font end will have more room. That might solve your clearance issue and look a bit better.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 08-12-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:57 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Go with a custom grill and you might get enough room in front. Keep in mind, the total thickness (radiator, condenser and fans) will be the same however you put it in there. If this is going to be a custom build and not used to haul stuff, you can move the condenser to the bed and blowing up. Less underhood heat, more room for clearance and the engine won't have excess heat from the a/c system to warm it up. Although I do wonder if a later year Sport font end will have more room. That might solve your clearance issue and look a bit better.

Nah, I like the factory look.... Radiator is a single core.... Going to keep it simple and do it pretty much like Shelby did.
And yes, the 91 and up move the radiator forward about 3.5 in. making it easier to put a V8 in there.
But I like the 87-90...

Old 08-12-2019, 03:10 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Nah, I like the factory look.... Radiator is a single core.... Going to keep it simple and do it pretty much like Shelby did.
And yes, the 91 and up move the radiator forward about 3.5 in. making it easier to put a V8 in there.
But I like the 87-90...

Are you going for looks or speed? If speed, you can get a crate engine that may make more power. If you want to go looks, and you have fabrication skills, how about a mid 50's Whale engine? I used to have a '54 Dodge Coronet with the 241 Ram Ram Hemi. That block eventually became the early polyhead 318. I doubt you'd want a 2 speed Powerflite transmission though. Imagine going to a car show and popping that hood with the valve covers having the plug wires down the middle. Do old Carrol one better!

Last edited by ol' grouch; 08-12-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: I kant spel wirth a durn.
The following users liked this post:
RalphP (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 03:27 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Are you going for looks or speed? If speed, you can get a crate engine that may make more power. If you want to go looks, and you have fabrication skills, how about a mid 50's Whale engine? I used to have a '54 Dodge Coronet with the 241 Ram Ram Hemi. That block eventually became the early polyhead 318. I doubt you'd want a 2 speed Powerflite transmission though. Imagine going to a car show and popping that hood with the valve covers having the plug wires down the middle. Do old Carrol one better!
Never heard them called Whales; but yah, if I won the Powerball or Megamillions (Curse them and the "buy the ticket before the drawing!" nonsense!! ) I'd drop a "Baby Hemi" Red Ram in and use a 44RH behind it.

It'd be coolness to the max, even if it wasn't a pavement burner.

RwP

Quick Reply: Radiator Core Support