1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Spencer Yancey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

I just recently got into dodges. We had a few 440 engine

s sitting around the shop growing up and a 1972 charger, but my first dodge is a 1992 Dakota extended cab 5.2L.

I drove a couple weeks with way too much transmission fluid and now it's done but the engine is good. May send it to the junk yard.

I have a Mopar High performance ECU and some headers I plan on transferring to another 1992 dakota, when I find one, just going to get rid of the current one.

I want to find a regular cab with a short bed. Will do a Naturally Aspirated build, ported throttle body, maybe the hughes custom intake manifold. The plenum gaskets are such a flaw.

Last edited by Spencer Yancey; 08-17-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Various.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Plenum gaskets are a pain, but, there is an easy fix for 'em. Welcome to DF!

Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Spencer Yancey

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Plenum gaskets are a pain, but, there is an easy fix for 'em. Welcome to DF!
Well my plenum bolts broke, never seen bolts break so easy, and I was a few lbs. Under spec when a few broke, so i jb welded around the plate after i did a new gasket and copper gasket maker sandwhiched
If anyone takes this truck off my hands for the 318 they will probably want another intake manifold..

What way are you talking about?

Old 08-17-2019, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Replace the gasket that is in there, with a GOOD quality Fel-Pro, or similar gasket, and use shorter plenum bolts. Or, cut the unthreaded nubs off the original bolts. Some blue lok-tite, and problem solved.

Those bolts only get torqued to like 72 inch pounds...... and you broke 'em??? Did you make the oh-too-familiar mistake of misreading that as Ft-lbs??

Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Spencer Yancey

If I recall correctly I think they snapped at 23lbs and I thought they were suppose to be set arount 27lbs. I may have made a mistake, I did some research before hand and never read the 72 inch. I think when I find another truck I may just get a plate welded on there. Or get an aftermarket performance manifold. I really should have cut the bolts, i was in a bind with a dull hacksaw and gave up after the first one with some extras i had. I would have used an angle grinder but I was afraid of getting my hands that close on a short bolt.

Last edited by Spencer Yancey; 08-17-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Various.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's what vice grips were invented for. I understand that paranoia completely.

My mistake, first Step is 24 inch pounds. Final torque value is 84 inch pounds. Which is 7 foot pounds...... No wonder they broke.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Spencer Yancey

Oh wow if it was 7lbs I definitely did something wrong. Unless I'm thinking of the intake manifold bolts that were about 27 or 28lbs. I think I was thinking of the manifold bolts, but the plenum bolts I'm sure I went well over 15lbs with. And yeah I probably did think the 24 inch lbs was foot lbs. I don't know alot, learning everyday.

I worked on the engine line at the Honda factory, everything is preset and I learned a little there but know less than most backyard mechanics.

Last edited by Spencer Yancey; 08-17-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spencer Yancey
Oh wow if it was 7lbs I definitely did something wrong. Unless I'm thinking of the intake manifold bolts that were about 27 or 28lbs. I think I was thinking of the manifold bolts, but the plenum bolts I'm sure I went well over 15lbs with.
Ooops. Don't feel like the lone ranger there though. You aren't the first to make that particular mistake.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

whats wrong with the 92 you have now? If not too bad of a body and frame (rust) I'd keep it and build it.... I am kicking myself for parting with my 92.... I still have its 318 plus a few items from it

where are you located?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Spencer Yancey

I'm in Alabama. The transmission is bad, I kept adding fluid, like 6 quarts too many and drove it about a month, I was going to drain the excess fluid like 2 days before it finally quit, the transmission started making all sorts of noises and started slupping until it just quit.

I just ordered an ebay transmission with a 6 month warranty. Will pull the bad one and have it rebuilt eventually.

The truck has a dented bed, I'm going to paint it with a foam roller once I get a good bed on it.

Quick Reply: New Member