1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st gen 4x4 upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 03:25 AM
Skruf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen 4x4 upper control arms

Hi,

First of all, greetings from cold Finland and hello to all members.
(this will also explain, if my english is not always perfect )

So my very first post is about upper control arms of 1st gen 4x4 Dakota, 3.9l V6.

Pretty common problem for 1st gen, are those upper ball joint f*ck'd up threads..

1st gen 4x4 upper control arms-w2vdfd6m.jpg

Does anyone have any idea, if 2nd gen (1997->) upper control arms would fit for 1st gen?
That would solve my problem once and for all.
Name:  cw6jefTm.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  10.5 KB
*Rockauto does not have new 1st gen control arms.

Thanks already!

Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Some people tack weld the upper ball joint in to get around those threads.

You can also buy the threads in a piece to weld into the UCA. See for instance https://www.aa-mfg.com/product-categ...s-and-pockets/ - cut out the buggered threads, weld in a new pocket, and go to town.

The 2nd Gen UCA doesn't list as a cross; but I don't know for sure that it WON'T work. You'd have to lay them side by side and measure them carefully.

RwP

Old 10-15-2019, 12:09 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Honestly, those threads dont look bad too me.... By design, they are more flat then a standard bolt thread.... Compare it to the replacement ball joint and you will see.
If it is loose, tack weld it in 2 or 3 places.
The 97 has a different size ball joint stud.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:49 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the upper ball joint hole in the knuckle is smaller on th 2nd gen than the first gen (maybe I have that backwards) So modification to the knuckle would be required to use the 2nd gen arms. I don't know of anyone who has done that swap.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 AM
Skruf

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Honestly, those threads dont look bad too me.... By design, they are more flat then a standard bolt thread.... Compare it to the replacement ball joint and you will see.
If it is loose, tack weld it in 2 or 3 places.
The 97 has a different size ball joint stud.
Threads are basically useless. U just can't tight the ball joint and it's loose.
I already welded couple of tacks and i actually made a "cup" over the ball joint, so if the tacks fail, it won't come off.

1st gen 4x4 upper control arms-wathkxtm.jpg

Not the best way to do it, but i'll have to go with this, until i come up with better solution.
And yes, it will require some cutting to replace the ball joint next time, but i hope this new one will last a year or two.

1st gen 4x4 upper control arms-fhdmzb9m.jpg

Used parts are hard to find in Finland, because we have like 20 1st gen dakotas left in the whole country and there are none in any junkyard..

Old 10-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Skruf

Originally Posted by RalphP
Some people tack weld the upper ball joint in to get around those threads.

You can also buy the threads in a piece to weld into the UCA. See for instance https://www.aa-mfg.com/product-categ...s-and-pockets/ - cut out the buggered threads, weld in a new pocket, and go to town.

The 2nd Gen UCA doesn't list as a cross; but I don't know for sure that it WON'T work. You'd have to lay them side by side and measure them carefully.

RwP
Actually this thing crossed my mind in some point, couldn't just find any.
I will order couple of those right away, these might be the best solution so far. Thank you!

Last edited by Skruf; 10-16-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:18 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Here is a picture of the 87 vs 97. The 97 has a bolt in ball joint, but has a smaller stud.... So the ball joint will not fit the spindle. Sorry, but this is the only picture I have

Old 10-16-2019, 01:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Wonder if you could get a sleeve for the stud. Or maybe there is a similar ball joint with a larger stud?

Old 10-20-2019, 01:04 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if you could get a sleeve for the stud. Or maybe there is a similar ball joint with a larger stud?
That was my first thought, that there must be a ball joint somewhere that would work in this situation, it just needs to be found.

In this case I bet we're going to have to ask a manufacturer about it, that would be the easiest way to ID the potential replacement.

I've never liked the big threaded BJ's, I've had other cars with that type and there's always an issue of some sort.

Steve

Quick Reply: 1st gen 4x4 upper control arms