1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Upper Ball joint issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Shane Corners
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Ball joint issues

I am posting because I want to know if anyone else has the same issues. I have taken my 93 4X4 to A local chain shop for an alignment and ball joint replacement. Initially my passenger side upper was supposedly bad cause the threads were bad. The shop couldn't find A new one so I was able to get A used one from A local salvage yard. I installed the salvage control arm with it's own upper ball joint that was ok. I should have left it at that, but I paid for 4 new ball joints and they had agreed to warranty said ball joint and alignment. They did so and I drove home and I heard A light pop crossing railroad tracks. I knew it was not good. I fully expect the shop to make this right, did they try to air chisel out A threaded ball joint? I have contemplated going with A solid front axle on it for some time, has anyone done that on here, look forward to any responses, thanks.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts

If it was mine, assuming the ball joint is not hurt, I would screw it back in, and then put 3 small welds on the surface where the ball joint touches the arm.

Quick Reply: Upper Ball joint issues