1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 V8 4x4 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are pulling the water pump, you might just as well remove six more bolts, take the timing cover off, and replace the timing chain and gears. Just be careful pulling that cover, that you don't tear the oil pan gasket at the bottom. It isn't the end of the world if you do, but, NOT doing it is best.
Oh good, you've convinced me to make more Amazon boxes show up. My wife started asking questions about the recent uptick in deliveries, but I'm also doing lots of preventative stuff to her diesel X5 so I have a cover story... Well, that and she saw my raggedy old truck hood up steam pouring out, so she knows it needs help lol

Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by buick
My wife started asking questions about the recent uptick in deliveries, but I'm also doing lots of preventative stuff to her diesel X5 so I have a cover story... lol

Yeah, until she sees this forum!! Then its gonna be.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 PM
buick
Veteran

Most of the parts to revamp the cooling system on the Black Dak are here. Just waiting on the timing chain/gears now. In the meantime, I sold one of my Ram 1500s and swapped that registration over to the green/gray two-tone. Now that the two-tone is street legal, I'm driving it a bit and, of course, finding its quirks. Stalled out on me a few times today, mostly when coming to a stop or right after starting. Feathering the throttle would bring it to life. Makes me think the fuel filter is clogged up, so I'll start there, but as always, I appreciate yous guys input. Also having trouble telling if it needs wheel bearings or if that's just what chunky mud tires sound like on the road, I need to get the two-tone up on the lift and look at the suspension bits, but my damn 92 2wd is hogging up the bay with it's steering rack that I can't get back together by myself. I already have an extra set of balljoints for it because rockauto had NOS moog for like $6.50 a pop, so I bought an extra set knowing I'd fine a use.

Had some fun bringing the "new" 96 two-tone home too. I messed with my 5yo son a bit by picking him up in the two-tone (that he was unaware was a different truck). He walks out of school looking for one of my other trucks (probably the one I just sold because we drove that this morning). I just casually walked to the truck and he pretty much immediately knew *something* was up. We played spot the difference on the way back. He picked up on the "big white stripe on the outside", that the window switches were "black instead of shiny" (that one he beat me on), that the headliner was ripped, that this one has handles on the roof, that the bed has a flat cover instead of a camper- he was keen. I kept asking him what he thought I did to the truck that day and he was finding all the differences. We had fun with it and then we pull into the driveway and he sees the black dak. "Dad, this is a new truck!" So I say, okay okay, maybe you're right. But let's not tell Mommy to see how long it takes her to notice... I guess tomorrow morning we see if she's truly truckblind or not lol

Old 02-20-2020, 03:18 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

One more thing to check, especially if the two-tone is a 94-96, is the IAC. I say that because they dropped the inline fuel filter for 1994.

I'd check that FIRST AAMOF; stalling at idle is more a sign the IAC ain't bleeding air in properly than a plugged fuel filter.

(The plugged fuel filter should idle fine, but fall flat on its face on fuel demands. Think plugged cat style effect.)

RwP

buick (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:41 AM
buick
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
One more thing to check, especially if the two-tone is a 94-96, is the IAC. I say that because they dropped the inline fuel filter for 1994.

I'd check that FIRST AAMOF; stalling at idle is more a sign the IAC ain't bleeding air in properly than a plugged fuel filter.

(The plugged fuel filter should idle fine, but fall flat on its face on fuel demands. Think plugged cat style effect.)

RwP
Word, that makes sense. Both trucks are 1996. I was unaware of the inline filter going away, guess that's why I couldn't find one for sale lol. Ordered up the IAC, I'm guessing that will do it.

And my wife totally noticed that my truck changed colors, but it seems like she's accepted that there will be an endless rotating fleet of janky old Dodge trucks in the driveway, because I didn't get hollered at lol

Oh and another thing, the two tone has the tightest doors I've ever seen on a Dakota. They shut so smooth and firm. Handle feels very strong and unlatches it's very easy. The black truck you have to finagle it just right to open, the 92 2wd you have to pop the hinge pin back in every other time and slam it to shut, plus it leaks it's so far out of alignment. But not the two tone, she shuts as well as a brand new car. Very pleased with that.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Before you go to the trouble of replacing the IAC, pull the throttle body, and give it a good cleaning. (leave the battery disconnected while you are cleaning.) Pay special attention to the IAC well. When you have it all back together, and the battery hooked back up, turn the key to On, count to ten, (and don't touch anything....) then start the truck. Give it a few to relearn idle, and likely you will be good to go. I have tried aftermarket IAC valves, and have had very limited success with them. Most simply do not react fast enough, so you get stalling when coming to a stop, or it will idle way down, almost stall, then RPM will flare, and ya gotta stand on the brake to prevent giving the guy in front of you a push..... (tends to annoy them....)

Old 02-20-2020, 06:12 PM
buick
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Before you go to the trouble of replacing the IAC, pull the throttle body, and give it a good cleaning. (leave the battery disconnected while you are cleaning.) Pay special attention to the IAC well. When you have it all back together, and the battery hooked back up, turn the key to On, count to ten, (and don't touch anything....) then start the truck. Give it a few to relearn idle, and likely you will be good to go. I have tried aftermarket IAC valves, and have had very limited success with them. Most simply do not react fast enough, so you get stalling when coming to a stop, or it will idle way down, almost stall, then RPM will flare, and ya gotta stand on the brake to prevent giving the guy in front of you a push..... (tends to annoy them....)
So do you think that's something that should just be cleaned thoroughly then? And now that I'm thinking about it, both of my 92s have had this same issue intermittently for years (stalling when coming to a stop). I think I replaced the IAC on the now-dead 92 4x4 and it still had stalling issues. It got to the point that I had taught myself to clutch in and feather the throttle every time to keep it from stalling. I noticed that I had carried that behavior over to my 5spd Cummins, which obviously does not have that problem. Took me a while to unlearn it.

What should I clean it with? Just carb cleaner and a brush? Would soaking it in denatured alcohol or gasoline help?

Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd use throttle body cleaner; but carb cleaner should do it.

DO NOT - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - TURN IT WHILE CLEANING!!!

Unless, of course, you want to buy a new one.

And if you buy a new one, buy Mopar. A LOT of people are having fits with the "generic" replacements from SMP, BWD, etc.

RwP

Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I put all new sensors on my 94 3.9 when I got it. I did this when I did the plenum. A tidbit of useless information. I had the intake manifold tanked. While I had that done I found out the Throttle Body sans sensors would fit into a gallon can of Chem Tool carb cleaner so I let it sit in that tank for a couple days. You just have to remove the basket that comes with for small parts.

buick (02-21-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 10:52 PM
buick
Veteran

Dug into the black Dak's cooling system tonight after finally recovering from an awful stomach bug that got everyone in my house.

Had the Amazon parts cannon all loaded up and ready to revamp the cooling system, but it became obvious that the failure was simply PO's Bubba attempt at a thermostat housing gasket.

The bolts weren't terribly tight on the housing, so maybe it just came loose over time? I dunno exactly, but it was definitely leaking from that spot. For tonight I just replaced the thermostat, housing/gasket and upper rad hose. Found that the belt tensioner is doing almost nothing, but everything else seems to be able to wait a bit so my wife's car can jump the queue and get into the shop

I did loosen the alternator and swing it out of the way to reach the thermostat housing bolts. Ofc I felt the need to put anti seize on those bolts, which immediately resulted in this meme coming true again:

But I did get the truck back together and that did solve the problem. Took it for a spin to get up to temp and no leaks. Something I did notice is that the black Dak idles around 1k rpm while the two tone idles around 600rpm. Wondering if that isn't IAC related?

Quick Reply: 1996 V8 4x4 Build Thread