1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Will a v8 dodge dakota sport rear end hold up to a big block 383

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Poor Man's garage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a v8 dodge dakota sport rear end hold up to a big block 383

Need some help I have a 1990 dodge dakota was originally a 2.5 4 cylinder with a 5speed I'm going to put a stock 360 and a 727 in it just to get it moveing but I'm building a 1970 383 big block mopar will the rear end out of a v8 dodge Dakota sport hold up to the power of the 360 small block and the 383 big block would really only like to change it once if possible also if anyone can tell me who sells big block dakota conversion mounts or do I have to make the mounts myself and do i use a truck oil pan or a car oil pan thanks austen

Old 03-25-2020, 02:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

First off, BREATH!

Periods.

Are.

Your.

Friends.

There's no limit on them, so use them properly.

Now.

"I have a 1990 Dodge Dakota that was originally a 2.5L 4 cylinder with the AX15. I'm going to put a "stock" 360 and a 727 in it, just to get it moving."

Stop here.

A 360 that comes with a 727 won't bolt in; it'll be a LA motor, and won't have the mounting points. So you're already at custom made motor mounts.

".. but I'm bulding a 1970 383 big block Mopar. Will the rear end out of a V8 Dodge Dakota Sport hold up to the power of the 360 small block?" Well, yes, and no. Depends on what you're doing horsepower wise and how you're driving it. I WILL say that the 8.25 came stock behind the 5.2 in the Dakotas; I'd opt for a 2nd Gen (97+) 9.25 rear end instead with your plans for the 383. You'll have to redo the shock mounts and maybe the spring mounts. A 2WD rear end will be lined up proper (axle over spring); the 4WD will do a rear end lift (it's axle UNDER spring).

"and the 383 big block?" Again, depends on how you drive it. Why do you want to shoehorn the V8s into that flat front?

"Would really only like to change it once" Then, grab a 2nd Gen rear axle. While grabbing, get one from about 2002 or 2003 with the disc brakes. It will have the wrong bolt pattern, but get the tires also, and you can swap to 6 lug up front. Or grab the discs off a Grand Cherokee of the middle/late 90's and use those. What, you didn't think about STOPPING this beast? That's if anything even more important for something on the street ...

"also if anyone can tell me who sells ... dakota conversion mounts, or do I have to make the mounts myself?" Check Mancini Racing, but most likely it'll be home grown. And for a 360 LA, you'll need to make mounts for them also. Good news! Careful design, you can use the same base (frame rail side) for both motors.

"and do I use a truck oil pan or a car oil pan?" Well, gee, let's see. Is the Dakota a car? No? That answers your question. Even worse - you might not be able to use a RAM oil pan; again, stick with the Magnum motors (you CAN stroke a 360 magnum out to over 400 cubes!) and you can use the Dakota oil pan that fits. Although, if you're cramming it into a 1990, you might be able to use a RAM since you'll have to set it back some to get it to clear the radiator.

Don't forget how light these trucks actually are; a built 360 will keep you into enough trouble. And if you're cramming a B or RB block in, go for max cubes - grab a 440. (383s were available both ways, although the majority are RBs.) Or, really bend people's heads - find a 350 B block from the 50's and build it up. (Yes, it has a 350. No, it's not a SBC.)

RwP

The following users liked this post:
buick (03-27-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Have you taken any measurements on the big block?
I know a small block LA with V-belts will not clear the radiator.... and that is without a fan, and using stock mounts. You can get a magnum v-8 to clear with no fan and serp. belt. but its close. Then you use a pusher fan.
I "think" a big block will require sinking the motor into the firewall, or converting to a 91-96 front end.
The 8.25 IMO is going to be weak if you run a built 383 and slicks or drag radials.
Hopefully you will post progress as you go along.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:05 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor Man's garage
Need some help I have a 1990 dodge dakota was originally a 2.5 4 cylinder with a 5speed I'm going to put a stock 360 and a 727 in it just to get it moveing but I'm building a 1970 383 big block mopar will the rear end out of a v8 dodge Dakota sport hold up to the power of the 360 small block and the 383 big block would really only like to change it once if possible also if anyone can tell me who sells big block dakota conversion mounts or do I have to make the mounts myself and do i use a truck oil pan or a car oil pan thanks austen

Wow, one sentence. It makes it a little hard to make out what you need. My elderly eyes really like punctuation.

Now to business. Can you make it fit? Sure. You will have to do HEAVY fabrication and modification. The factory managed to put 440 engines in A body Darts after all. The Chevy Monza (rebodied Vega) could be had with a V-8 too. Changing plugs was an adventure on all of those.Getting the big block physically into the Dakota will need a lot of body massaging. Will the rear end hold up? That would depend on traction. If the tires just spin, maybe. If you can get it to hook up, you'll probably rip it out of the truck.

My suggestion would be to slip a 318 or 360 into your truck and call it finished. Take your 383 when it's done and find a full sized truck from 1973 to '93. The big block engine was an option through 1978. The first gen (that's what it's called here) has plenty of room in the engine bay. The engine transmission combination will slip right in and you can probably get engine mounts to bolt right in. The heavier frame will handle the torque better than the little Dakota. You can then cherry the body out for a show truck or if it's a beater, add some weight to the bed and make it a "sleeper". I love the look on peoples faces when they think my old clunker can barely move. I had a '54 Dodge with the 241 Red Ram Hemi and surprised more than one 4 banger Mustang and 6 cylinder Camaro.

RalphP (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:28 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I had a '54 Dodge with the 241 Red Ram Hemi and surprised more than one 4 banger Mustang and 6 cylinder Camaro.
Not to hijack - but I really think a 241/270 in a Dakota would be really slick.

RwP

Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by RalphP
Not to hijack - but I really think a 241/270 in a Dakota would be really slick.

RwP

It would fit just fine. They were the basis for the early A engines and are about the same size as the LA engines. Finding one though.....

Old 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It would fit just fine. They were the basis for the early A engines and are about the same size as the LA engines. Finding one though.....
https://www.shoppok.com/wichita/a,43...ce=clazoutfeed

Ask and ye shall receive

Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Now that would be an interesting project....... I had an old 331 hemi at one time....... Wish I still did. Had to clean out the garage though, as I was moving, so, sold a whole bunch of stuff. (including parts from a 77 Jaguar XJS, with a 5.0 v-12. THAT would be a fun project too.....)

Old 03-27-2020, 03:01 PM
RalphP
Champion

We may need to get an admin to move the Baby Ram notes to a different thread - I managed to hijack it without really meaning to!

But to add to the confusion - there's actually quite a few within 200 miles of me.

Now if I just could manage to win the MegaMillions tonight or the PowerBall tomorrow night ...

RwP

Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by RalphP
We may need to get an admin to move the Baby Ram notes to a different thread - I managed to hijack it without really meaning to!

But to add to the confusion - there's actually quite a few within 200 miles of me.

Now if I just could manage to win the MegaMillions tonight or the PowerBall tomorrow night ...

RwP

Before I bought my latest project, there was a 1953 Dodge car with a 241 and manual transmission for $800 near St. Louis. The engine was locked up but I've freed many an engine with transmission fluid.

RalphP (03-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Will a v8 dodge dakota sport rear end hold up to a big block 383