1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

So what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 07:44 AM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've found myself in the middle of a kitchen remodel for my girlfriend while I'm laid off. We paid 350 for second hand cabinets and a dishwasher, and last night while ripping out one of the cabinets I found we have hardwood floors underneath a lot of layers of previous owner. So, we just kicked the cost of new flooring out, but now I need to dig out the grinder and sharpen my shovel, cuz theres a LOT of crap on top of these floors! I think 4 layers of paint, and then a layer of linoleum, mdf, and a final layer of linoleum. One thing I thought was odd, they built the cabinets into the subfloor before laying down the hardwood flooring. My original plan was to keep the long section of cabinet for a workbench but seeing as how they're built in place, it's going to make it near impossible to keep in one piece. At least the old countertop will make an excellent workbench for carb cleaning and small Dak work! I know GF is happy because now our only major cost is new countertop.

We've basically been dealing with crappy rainy weather all week, except wednesday which neared 70 in the sun.... so naturally I did the right thing and did nothing but drink frosty cold snacks and get a sunburn that day. This weekend is aiming to be back to that nice, sunny warmth.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (05-01-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 09:52 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Yesterday we got our first 3-meal packages from EveryPlate (edit: Mistyped to "Every Meal" not "EveryPlate". Corrected. ) (disclaimer: If you go look, and are interested, hit me up; there's a $20 off code I can get for you, which also gets me $20 off. Or not, as you see fit.)

Tonight we fixed the Cowboy Skillet Pie. So, notes: 1) If I do this out of produce etc. I source, I'd go leaner than their 85/15 ground beef; there was a touch of grease in the finished product. 2) Jalapenos are optional; but I bet it's delicious with the fresh cut jalapenos! (Wife has an autoimmune condition which sometimes causes the inside of her mouth to slough; she can't eat hot foods. So I did some diced jalapenos on top from a can I had in the 'fridge instead.) 3) Other than that - It was delish! Easy enough to fix, tasty, and cooked right up. DID use two skillets - did all the browning etc. in a 10" skillet, and the finish under the broiler in a 6" cast iron skillet.

Also, yesterday, I got the two tow mirrors on the Dakota. It's nice being able to see what's behind me; but now I'll have to get used to them sticking out so far when I drive

Today I also did dishes (wife's been feeling poorly with the weather changes).

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 05-10-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:54 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey Ralph, for eating hot stuff the best thing to make along with it is butternut squash. I cook it plain and let it reabsorb the water that comes out so I can mix in whatever I want to. I mash it with a stick blender and just heat portions up on my plate. Then when I eat hot stuff if it gets too hot take a bite of the squash and bam heat is gone!. It has helped me to build up my tolerance to spice heat.

RalphP (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:10 AM
RalphP
Champion

I'll pass it on; but when the inside of the mouth is inflamed, mooshed pablum can be rough.

RwP

Old 06-10-2020, 08:58 PM
RalphP
Champion

Back again.

Today I replaced the headlights (H4 bulbs; Nightbreakers), the front turn/driving lamps, and the two corners. Corners are now LEDs; turn/parking light is still incandescent to avoid having to resistor it to get my wigwag working.

Also replaced the grill with another old one that at least wasn't broken up.

This weekend I've got to replace my positive battery cable with the one I had made (2 ga for both the starter and the truck feed) and see what it does like then.

RwP

buick (06-11-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:02 AM
RalphP
Champion

Still haven't gotten the starter cable on; been busy last few weekends.

But I DID get in my Zamco tool to swap the transmission rear bushing and seal to stop up the ATF leak; after that I'll need to get the bottom washed good.

Replaced a missing lower shock bolt driver's rear; this time I used a prevailing torque nut (the ATF has been melting out the thread locker, I think.) I also have PT 1/4-20 nuts for the upper mounts. (Lower bolt is a 1/2-13 x 2.75" Grade 8 bolt in case anyone's looking for a replacement.)

Outside the truck - Been playing with EveryPlate meals for my wife and me. Last night we did the Greek Chicken Pita with Lemony Potato Wedges. Was delicious!

Side note being a selfish barstich - if EveryPlate looks good to you, PM me; if I give you a referral code, you can get $20 off the first order and I get $20 off my next order. Or don't; it's only money.

RwP

Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Several years ago, a storm blew a Crab Apple tree down in my front yard. Vines and such had grown over it. I went out with a chain saw when I got off work to get rid of it once and for all. After I hit the vines, there wasn't anything left of the stump. Evidently termites and fungi have been busy. I now have a slight bump I can mow with a mower.

buick (06-24-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 03:56 PM
RalphP
Champion

Back again.

Been quarantined for two weeks now (tested positive after 1 week of self-isolation).

So I've been working on things inside (where the AC is) getting ready.

Got my Vixen air horn in today; don't know how well it'll work, but the Wolo horns on there now lasted about 2 years is all before they gave up the ghost.

So I'll be working on that probably Sunday and on.

RwP

Old 07-25-2020, 08:47 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryce V. Fowler
I've found myself in the middle of a kitchen remodel for my girlfriend while I'm laid off. We paid 350 for second hand cabinets and a dishwasher, and last night while ripping out one of the cabinets I found we have hardwood floors underneath a lot of layers of previous owner. So, we just kicked the cost of new flooring out, but now I need to dig out the grinder and sharpen my shovel, cuz theres a LOT of crap on top of these floors! I think 4 layers of paint, and then a layer of linoleum, mdf, and a final layer of linoleum. One thing I thought was odd, they built the cabinets into the subfloor before laying down the hardwood flooring. My original plan was to keep the long section of cabinet for a workbench but seeing as how they're built in place, it's going to make it near impossible to keep in one piece. At least the old countertop will make an excellent workbench for carb cleaning and small Dak work! I know GF is happy because now our only major cost is new countertop.

We've basically been dealing with crappy rainy weather all week, except wednesday which neared 70 in the sun.... so naturally I did the right thing and did nothing but drink frosty cold snacks and get a sunburn that day. This weekend is aiming to be back to that nice, sunny warmth.
That's how they put down hard wood floors years ago, they often built and then installed the cabinets and then put down the hard wood flooring after, and that way they saved having to put wood flooring under things like built-in bookcases, colonade posts, kitchen and bath cabinets etc.

It's actually quite common throughout the late 19th and early 20th century.

Steve

RalphP (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:06 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Get well soon Ralph.

Quick Reply: So what are you doing?