1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

So what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 08:36 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

no prob. You guys are making me pine for my old gsxr1100. I never had a faring. I learned to rid in my 30's and graduated from a Honda 450 to Yamaha750 triple(4stroke) to the gsxr in about 3 years. I can't ride any more I'm not fit enough to feel safe. I do still maintain my M endorsement on my DL though. I never did much wrenching on them. I'm a if it aint broke don't fix it kind of guy. I did pull the carbs on the 750 and rebuild them in my apartment sink for some reason I do not remember.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryce V. Fowler
I know my GW will NEVER look that good... but damn that GW looks good!!!

I ended up pulling all the calipers today. Every single one of them seized right up. A lonngggggggggg bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and a pair of vicegrips, and the piston finally came loose. Except somehow I managed to lose a set of pad clips so I guess I should *do the right thing* and get a full set all around with new clips. I just finished up editing a video of getting the GW together too. I wish I had more cameras or more batteries for my camera. It's a real pain to move and of course every time I get to a part where I do some intensive work, the dang battery dies. Jacking engine into bike? Battery dead. Mounting engine to frame? Battery dead. Installing radiator, fuel pump, carburetors, air box, wires and all the other fun stuff? You guessed it...... dead battery. But I did manage to get some magic moments like when I heard that first ignition in the cylinder. A few jokes. And complaining. Boy do I bitch a lot in my videos about hackjob mechanics.

Dak, I might give that a shot, actually. I mean it is a bandaid on a shotgun blast, but worth a shot to save a cup of oil on my floor!

I bought it at a bike show where it won first in class. So it was nice when I got it. I keep my bikes looking good because I never wash them. I use Lemon Pledge and a cotton T-shirt with no printing. A little chrome po;osh on the chrome and it stays looking good. Bugs come right off. I did learn two things on Pledge though. Orange Pledge leaves a film that is hard to get off and never, ever, EVER, use it around a Bee hive.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:08 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
no prob. You guys are making me pine for my old gsxr1100. I never had a faring. I learned to rid in my 30's and graduated from a Honda 450 to Yamaha750 triple(4stroke) to the gsxr in about 3 years. I can't ride any more I'm not fit enough to feel safe. I do still maintain my M endorsement on my DL though. I never did much wrenching on them. I'm a if it aint broke don't fix it kind of guy. I did pull the carbs on the 750 and rebuild them in my apartment sink for some reason I do not remember.

I bought my first bike, a 1955 Harley Davidson model F, for $200 when I was 15 and sold it two weeks later for $250 after I nearly killed myself three times in two weeks. When I fell over at a light and got pinned under it, I put bikes on hold for years. When I bought it, the previous owner told me to stay afraid of it, just a little bit, so I would respect it. I'm older now and understand what he meant. I always respect my machines but I did have one bike that scared the bejeebers out of me. I got hold of a 1980 KZ1000E that had been modified. The engine was bored out and when I cleaned the carbs,, it became a monster. It went through 4 more owners before a guy lengthened the rear arm to make it a drag bike. It had been bored out..

Amazing how a thread in a Dodge forum can turn into a thread on motorcycles.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only slightly jacked... Ralph DID start a "So what are you doing" thread... I'm just keeping with the topic.. you guys are the ones hijacking!!!

You're absolutely right about fearing the bike. My 83 Magna 750 was my first bike and was given to me on the principal that if I fix it, it's mine. So I cleaned out the carbs, and did a LOT of lurking on the V4 forums. I mean it's not the 1100 that was setting world records for stock production bikes, but I guess my point is ALL bikes should invoke that primal fear of "one mistake and it's over".

I might take a break from the bike after I break that last caliper piston free and try to get some stuff done on the Blue Bahstahd. I'm thinking I might have to rename all the projects since I'm getting it done during a pandemic-related layoff... The Covid-Koda, The Corona Wing....

....Okay I'll stop lol

Old 04-24-2020, 09:48 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Actually, no, it's not jacked - I didn't mean "What are you doing on your Dakota", but "What are you doing?" Even "Vegging in front of the screen binging The Honeymooners" would qualify!

RwP

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (04-24-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 09:49 PM
RalphP
Champion

Today was a mixed day.

Slept until noon.

Cruised the Internet until about 4.

Removed the old glasspack, installed the new glasspack, installed the new tailpipe, and installed the chrome turndown (yes, I have my moments of vanity! )

Took a shower and got cleaned up.

Returned the O2 sensor wrench set to O'Reilly's, then went shopping with the wife. Then filled the truck up - 17.58MPG.

Am now cooking enchiladas in the oven for supper.

RwP

Old 04-26-2020, 04:18 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by RalphP
Today was a mixed day.

Slept until noon.

Cruised the Internet until about 4.

Removed the old glasspack, installed the new glasspack, installed the new tailpipe, and installed the chrome turndown (yes, I have my moments of vanity! )

Took a shower and got cleaned up.

Returned the O2 sensor wrench set to O'Reilly's, then went shopping with the wife. Then filled the truck up - 17.58MPG.

Am now cooking enchiladas in the oven for supper.

RwP

Myself, I got some rollers and brushes and when the weather warms enough, possibly Friday, I'll be painting my truck. Did the bumper yesterday. Black with the bed panel behind it black also. I figure a gallon of Rust-O-Leum Safety red will let me paint it with another coat a few years down the road.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:38 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Hey Ralph,

Been working on my 5.9..... Doing everything in my garage and driveway.
So far, have cleaned the block, honed, installed new freeze plugs, and new cam bearings.
About a week ago, got the reman. crankshaft installed, and yesterday got the pistons back in the motor.
I"m slow!!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:00 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Myself, I got some rollers and brushes and when the weather warms enough, possibly Friday, I'll be painting my truck. Did the bumper yesterday. Black with the bed panel behind it black also. I figure a gallon of Rust-O-Leum Safety red will let me paint it with another coat a few years down the road.
Be sure to clear afterwards, or triple check - Rust-O-Leum isn't typically UV safe, and will powder in a few years. (Yours might be; I'd check it first.)

That's why I keep looking at marine top coats which not only tend to self-level like Rust-O-Leum, taking out brush and roller marks, but also have high UV proofing.

RwP

Old 04-26-2020, 12:05 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Hey Ralph,

Been working on my 5.9..... Doing everything in my garage and driveway.
So far, have cleaned the block, honed, installed new freeze plugs, and new cam bearings.
About a week ago, got the reman. crankshaft installed, and yesterday got the pistons back in the motor.
I"m slow!!
Well, I bought my exhaust system in June 2018, and finally got it all on yesterday ... I also have the redone headliner which I've had longer sitting in my bedroom to put in.

BTW - On the exhaust - at idle, right at the tailpipe, it has just the right amount of "nasty" to the sound; not loud, not obnoxious, but just enough to suit me. While accelerating inside the cab, you know the motor is working, but you can easily talk over it. That hits all my buttons right there.

Magnaflow Y-pipe; Eastern catalytic converter, FlowTech Red Hot glasspack; Walker tail pipe. I also have the Walker extension tube between the cat and the muffler; my 124" wheelbase takes that, the 112" doesn't need it. And - it was probably the last Magnaflow Y-pipe sold; I had to order it from Canada back when.

I have no room to talk about other folk's slowness

RwP

Quick Reply: So what are you doing?