1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel tank repar - 1988 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 01:44 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Two things. What year tanks are compatible with 88?
I used a two part gas tank repair epoxy (It might be JB) on a metal tank that was wet with the gas dripping out of it. It is still working more than 14 years later.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:21 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Are you sure about this?
About a year or two ago, I purchased a tank from an individual. He pulled the pump assembly out and washed the insides with soap and water. Boxed it up and mailed it.
I was a little concerned at first, but in reality, the tank is plastic with no baffles. Has a large hole where the pump goes, so reaching in is not a problem.
Very easy to remove all gas.........

The problem with shipping a fuel tank isn't so much left over gasoline but the fumes that out gas for months after emptying. I've seen empty tanks ignite when cutting torch sparks got in. A full tank is actually safer to handle. Still, $1000 does seem pretty high. I think they just didn't want to fool with it. DOT and other regulations are pretty problematic.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Two things. What year tanks are compatible with 88?
I used a two part gas tank repair epoxy (It might be JB) on a metal tank that was wet with the gas dripping out of it. It is still working more than 14 years later.
Directly? 1987-1990. Same part number tanks for all 4 years.

Swapping to a new fuel pump assembly? Add 1991-1996. Same part number tanks for all six years.

RwP

Old 12-24-2020, 06:49 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

I'm not sure how much blackbird wants to spend but here is a 91 tank for $305.69 free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Ta...oAAOSwE5pfkVZW

and a fuel pump for a 91-96 for $48 free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pu...UAAOSwMIhfWojG

Old 12-24-2020, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I'm not sure how much blackbird wants to spend but here is a 91 tank for $305.69 free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Ta...oAAOSwE5pfkVZW

and a fuel pump for a 91-96 for $48 free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pu...UAAOSwMIhfWojG
I am REAL leery of the dirt cheap fuel pump modules. Generally, they just don't last long. (Air-tex springs immediately to mind..... I have had them fail within 24 hours. If they last a year, you are doing very well.)

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
onemore94dak (12-25-2020), RalphP (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:27 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am REAL leery of the dirt cheap fuel pump modules. Generally, they just don't last long. (Air-tex springs immediately to mind..... I have had them fail within 24 hours. If they last a year, you are doing very well.)
That's been my results as well.

RwP

Old 12-25-2020, 12:28 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

That was just a quick search. IDK what the OP can spend. I paid $145 for my Airtex from Autozone when I bought the truck then broke the rollover valve.changing it over. I ended up finding a pump straight out of a tank half full of gas at a junkyard, they hadn't drained it yet, which is what I have in there now. I did the aftermarket fix of the rollover valve in the Airtex pump which I have as a spare. I used it for a few months.
Anyway I think there are more tanks of the 91 to 96 variety on ebay. IDK what OP may be able to find for fuel pumps.

Old 12-25-2020, 02:32 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The problem with shipping a fuel tank isn't so much left over gasoline but the fumes that out gas for months after emptying. I've seen empty tanks ignite when cutting torch sparks got in. A full tank is actually safer to handle.

Lots of plain ole internet myth here......

IF a plastic tank is washed with soap and water, flushed and dried, there will not be any fumes left that will ignite. Of course, we all know, the liquid gas will not burn, it is the evaporation (fumes) that ignite. But with all gas, there has to be the correct amount of oxygen to mix and support combustion. ie: when the fuel ratio in the engine starts going much above 15 to 1, it will not burn.....
If you do a search, you will see people advertising on ebay selling tanks shipped...
One last point to consider, companies that rebuild carbs, or fuel injectors..... Much more potential for actual gas to be shipped , as compared to a plastic tank that has been washed and dried.... And carbs, and injectors are being shipped every day.

Again, dont buy into all the internet myths.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:58 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Lots of plain ole internet myth here......

IF a plastic tank is washed with soap and water, flushed and dried, there will not be any fumes left that will ignite. Of course, we all know, the liquid gas will not burn, it is the evaporation (fumes) that ignite. But with all gas, there has to be the correct amount of oxygen to mix and support combustion. ie: when the fuel ratio in the engine starts going much above 15 to 1, it will not burn.....
If you do a search, you will see people advertising on ebay selling tanks shipped...
One last point to consider, companies that rebuild carbs, or fuel injectors..... Much more potential for actual gas to be shipped , as compared to a plastic tank that has been washed and dried.... And carbs, and injectors are being shipped every day.

Again, dont buy into all the internet myths.

I don't pay much attention to what people say on the internet. My experience goes back well before there was an internet. I'm thinking more along the lines of D.O.T. regulations. Go to any well run salvage yard. Fuel tanks are pulled, drained then stored away from everything else.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I don't pay much attention to what people say on the internet. My experience goes back well before there was an internet. I'm thinking more along the lines of D.O.T. regulations. Go to any well run salvage yard. Fuel tanks are pulled, drained then stored away from everything else.
Not to mention scrap metal yards. First thing they do is blow holes in the fuel tank, IF they will even accept a vehicle with the tank still installed.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank repar - 1988 dakota