1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Go in 4wd...no go in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 07:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Good point, and I think you are correct on the c-clip........
Never the less, I would still start it up, put it in gear and see if the driveshaft turns.......
I agree.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:30 AM
Mr onetwo
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It turns out that the passenger side axle splines are gone.I just hope that the splines in the differential case side gears are not destroyed also.The Sure Grip cannot be repaired according to FSM and parts book.I have a used axle arriving today and will update later. The wheel bearing also failed so perhaps that caused the damage.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:47 AM
Mr onetwo
Rookie

I am looking for an open diff case with side gears ,pin ect. Don't want or need the gear as the one I have is perfect.Part is indicated in screen grab

Old 06-09-2021, 11:17 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 580 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr onetwo
It turns out that the passenger side axle splines are gone.I just hope that the splines in the differential case side gears are not destroyed also.The Sure Grip cannot be repaired according to FSM and parts book.I have a used axle arriving today and will update later. The wheel bearing also failed so perhaps that caused the damage.

Bummer! It looks like the failed bearing ate the axle up by letting it wear at an angle. I don't know if I'd trust the surgrip unit as it should have turned the left axle even with the right bad. I think it was doing that, until you heard the clunk. I'm sure you're going to clean it well before reassembly when you fix it but unless you remove the whole assembly and soak it in cleaner, you should head over to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a couple of large ceramic magnets. When you refill it with oil, put the magnets on the outside of the rear cover. Put them by the void inside. This will catch all the ferrous metal particles floating around so they don't chew the new parts up.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:17 AM
Mr onetwo
Rookie

Shaft showed up yesterday afternoon, truck is put back together and runs great.Still looking for an open diff.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

What you may need to do is pick up a whole rear axle out of the boneyard and swap the carrier between the two.

Get a 4x4 open with the same ratio, and you could swap the whole rear axle.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (06-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Go in 4wd...no go in 2wd