1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Go in 4wd...no go in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021 | 07:12 AM
Mr onetwo
|
Rookie
Default Go in 4wd...no go in 2wd

Good morning all,
My 1992 Dakota 5.2 AT 4wd club cab (204K) let me down for the first time in a long time yesterday.I was on my way to the lumber yard and pulled up to a stop sign a half a mile from my house.When I went to pull out the truck made a big banging sound and then a loud clattering under the floor.The truck just coasted to the side of the road and would not move while still clattering.I put it in 4wd to see if it would move and it made a light clunk and moved forward.I pulled it into a parking lot and tried it in reverse. It moved fine and made no funny noises so I limped it home at 10mph.Tried it in 2wd when I got it home and same clattering/no move condition.
Any ideas on what this is? I realize that it is probably internal, but is there anything external to check before I pull the tcase? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2021 | 07:20 AM
Mr onetwo
|
Rookie

Also, is it safe to drive like this or will it totally strand me on the side of the road?

Old 06-06-2021 | 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Something is broken, and driving it like that will likely make it worse.... Not to mention, it's dangerous...... Also, the transfer case is apparently doing it's job, since you don't move in 2wd, I would be looking at the rear differential first.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021 | 06:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Mr onetwo
Good morning all,
My 1992 Dakota 5.2 AT 4wd club cab (204K) let me down for the first time in a long time yesterday.I was on my way to the lumber yard and pulled up to a stop sign a half a mile from my house.When I went to pull out the truck made a big banging sound and then a loud clattering under the floor.The truck just coasted to the side of the road and would not move while still clattering.I put it in 4wd to see if it would move and it made a light clunk and moved forward.I pulled it into a parking lot and tried it in reverse. It moved fine and made no funny noises so I limped it home at 10mph.Tried it in 2wd when I got it home and same clattering/no move condition.
Any ideas on what this is? I realize that it is probably internal, but is there anything external to check before I pull the tcase? Thanks!

I'm assuming you've checked the driveshaft. If the shaft and u-joints are good, your problem is either in the transfer case or rear end. Before pulling anything apart, I'd jack the truck up and rotate the tires. With the transmission in neutral but the transfer case in 2wd, rotate the rear tires and see if you hear any odd noises. You also want to wiggle (<------fancy technical term) the front and rear of the drive shaft. See if there is any rotational slop in either end. If the rear moves more than a small click, you may have a rear end failure. The same with the front of the shaft.

I've seen rear ends fail to the point they look okay but spin inside. Especially when the pinion nut comes loose. However, I've also seen the front yoke fail. I pulled one once back in the 90's that looked good but had cracked. It wouldn't hold the splines in the rear of the transfer case. What I would suggest is you pull the driveshaft if you have a one piece shaft, after you've checked the case and rear end for slop. Look especially close at your front yoke. If you have a 2 piece drive shaft (I've never seen one on a Dakota, but I may have just not ever seen one) I'd check the center bearing and CV joint.

With the shaft out and looking good, grab your rear pinion yoke and rotate it back and forth. If it moved smooth with no extra slop, the rear if good. If it feels notchy (<----another fancy technical term) pull your rear cover off for a Mark ! eyeball inspection. If the rear is good and the shaft is good, then I'd pull the transfer case out. It's been a while since I had a Mopar T-case apart. I don't remember if there is one or two chains inside. It's possible a chain broke or just a retaining pin broke and something fell off inside.If you keep driving it, whatever is loose can grind other things up or jam it completely.

What you're looking at could be expensive or just a simple repair. Check the simple things first. MY father was the most mechanically UNinclined person you would ever see, but he always said to check the simple and cheap things first Do that and you may be up and dancing down the road in no time.

Old 06-06-2021 | 08:19 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

If it was me, I would start it up, in two wheel drive, shift into drive, and have someone look and see if the driveshaft is turning........ If it is and truck does not move, its the rear.
BTW a broken axle will have those symptoms and would probably be the easiest fix.

Old 06-07-2021 | 09:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
If it was me, I would start it up, in two wheel drive, shift into drive, and have someone look and see if the driveshaft is turning........ If it is and truck does not move, its the rear.
BTW a broken axle will have those symptoms and would probably be the easiest fix.
Broken axle is possible, but, those are c-clip axles are they not? I am thinkin' of one of 'em broke, the wheel/drum/what's left of the axle, would quickly abandon the rest of the truck. (seen that before, not a fun experience.)

Old 06-07-2021 | 10:02 AM
Mr onetwo
|
Rookie

I removed the cover on the rear differential to inspect the gears ect. This truck has an 8 1/4" sure grip diff in it. Everything looks brand new inside but the driver side axle shaft will move a small amount without turning anything else.Could a sure grip failure cause these symptoms?

Old 06-07-2021 | 10:05 AM
Mr onetwo
|
Rookie

I am going to remove the driveshaft next to inspect that.

Old 06-07-2021 | 10:44 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Mr onetwo
I removed the cover on the rear differential to inspect the gears ect. This truck has an 8 1/4" sure grip diff in it. Everything looks brand new inside but the driver side axle shaft will move a small amount without turning anything else.Could a sure grip failure cause these symptoms?

Setting up gears is something I've never had a knack for. However, I do know there is a little bit of slop due to back lash. You have to have it for the gears to slide as they change cosines on gear angles. A little is good. It sounds like your rear end is good. Put some fresh lube in it and button it back up. There may turn out to be a problem in there but I doubt it.

Old 06-07-2021 | 04:55 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Broken axle is possible, but, those are c-clip axles are they not? I am thinkin' of one of 'em broke, the wheel/drum/what's left of the axle, would quickly abandon the rest of the truck. (seen that before, not a fun experience.)

Good point, and I think you are correct on the c-clip........
Never the less, I would still start it up, put it in gear and see if the driveshaft turns.......

Quick Reply: Go in 4wd...no go in 2wd