1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

La swap in 87 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Moparnewb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default La swap in 87 dakota

I’ve been building a 360 small block La. I have heard that pusher fans are all I need without a clutch fan? If I build mounts will I have to build them an inch back and move the trans mount? If anyone has done the la swap in a short nose 87-90 let me know what had to be done.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:46 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Shelby did both of them in the Shelby Dakotas. Pusher fan, and bespoke frame mounts to move the motor back about an inch.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
Moparnewb (08-17-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:32 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

This is my opinion, and what I did.
Go with a 5.9 magnum.....
Had to add a 7577 edelbrock intake, I used a 670 holley carb, and a HEI distributor.
But it all bolts in, and then put 2 pusher fans in front of the radiator.......

Old 08-18-2021, 05:22 PM
Moparnewb

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
This is my opinion, and what I did.
Go with a 5.9 magnum.....
Had to add a 7577 edelbrock intake, I used a 670 holley carb, and a HEI distributor.
But it all bolts in, and then put 2 pusher fans in front of the radiator.......
that’s a better plan and all but I’ve already been building a la block and I don’t exactly wanna sink more money into more engines. My uncle is a professional fabricator/ mechanic so I’m sure he could make mounts

Old 08-19-2021, 05:36 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Going from memory........ Member Robertmee tried this swap with standard V-belt pulleys. The pulley was about 5/8 inch into the radiator. He ended up swapping to a 92-96 front end.
Do a search under his name , robertmee, also, ragged89, and my user name. We have all posted a lot of info. And pictures on V8 swaps.....

Look forward to following your build. And if you don't mind, tell us more about your build...... Engine details, two or four wheel drive, and transmission.
Good luck!

Old 08-21-2021, 10:16 AM
Moparnewb

and transmission.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

So it’s an 87 that my uncle got for dirt cheap with a blown 3.9. An old guy had it for a long time and the last few years a kid owned it who put gas in and drove. It blew up from not checking his other fluids. It’s fairly rust free for a Canadian truck. It’s rwd long bed. I plan on doing front bushings and painting parts of the frame and front end parts. Not a show truck but a nice truck to drive. My motor is a 1987 360 la block. It was supposed to be a small cam and gasket set. Turned into a full machine shop extravaganza. Bored 30 over and now I need some pistons. I’d like something in the 9:1 range so I can run cheap gas. That’s it so far. Parts are just so backed up

Old 08-21-2021, 10:24 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparnewb
and transmission.
Good luck!

So it’s an 87 that my uncle got for dirt cheap with a blown 3.9. An old guy had it for a long time and the last few years a kid owned it who put gas in and drove. It blew up from not checking his other fluids. It’s fairly rust free for a Canadian truck. It’s rwd long bed. I plan on doing front bushings and painting parts of the frame and front end parts. Not a show truck but a nice truck to drive. My motor is a 1987 360 la block. It was supposed to be a small cam and gasket set. Turned into a full machine shop extravaganza. Bored 30 over and now I need some pistons. I’d like something in the 9:1 range so I can run cheap gas. That’s it so far. Parts are just so backed up[/QUOTE]

What heads are you using? With sufficient quench and a good curve, you can run better than 9:1 on pump gas, even the only-fairly-expensive stuff (note: I grew up during 25 cent US price wars; NONE of today's gasoline is "cheap" to me ... )

While doing the front bushings, I'd personally recommend the Prothane Black poly bushings; I've got over 250,000 miles on my Energy Suspension Reds, but Prothane Black has graphite in the mix to keep the poly "EEKook" down without having to silicone spray every time you open the hood.

Don't forget the greaseable sway bar bushings!

Use the good ball joints; cheap crap is cheap crap, but there's nothing wrong with picking one of three or four brands / product lines you can get inexpensively. (I say that because Moog has both the cheap crap and the "Well, it's not as good as it used to be" lines, for instance.)

RwP

Old 08-21-2021, 06:38 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Sounds like a fun project!! Are you going to be running an automatic or stick?

Old 08-21-2021, 06:49 PM
RalphP
Champion

I'll add that the front of the frame, under the cab, is boxed; it may be worth while to pull the cab and get it media blasted and properly painted and "fogged" to keep it from rusting out up front.

(That'll be the perfect time to work on the motor mounts too; that way you can weld them up before it's painted and fogged, and you'll be in great shape rust-prevention-wise.)

RwP

Old 08-21-2021, 08:14 PM
Moparnewb

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Sounds like a fun project!! Are you going to be running an automatic or stick?
I would like a a stick one day but I only have a limited budget

Quick Reply: La swap in 87 dakota