1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 05:46 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

I’m near Raleigh so a little bit inland but we’ll have one come thru unabated now and again and shut down the place for weeks. Last time (Fran 1996) was 2 years before I moved here. Beyond that they are mostly rain events. We’ve been fortunate here to get 8” or less with all the canes that have passed thru. But just a little east of here they’ve seen as much as a yard of friggin rain (Floyd). I did have a giant hickory come down out back during one cane about 10 years ago. Missed the house by 100 feet so not too close. Generally we don’t get slammed often this far in.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
I’m near Raleigh so a little bit inland but we’ll have one come thru unabated now and again and shut down the place for weeks. Last time (Fran 1996) was 2 years before I moved here. Beyond that they are mostly rain events. We’ve been fortunate here to get 8” or less with all the canes that have passed thru. But just a little east of here they’ve seen as much as a yard of friggin rain (Floyd). I did have a giant hickory come down out back during one cane about 10 years ago. Missed the house by 100 feet so not too close. Generally we don’t get slammed often this far in.
And you probably don't get blizzards either. How are the summers? Does it get hot/humid there?

Old 10-25-2021, 08:54 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And you probably don't get blizzards either. How are the summers? Does it get hot/humid there?
Had a blizzard in '99 I believe it was. 2' of snow! All time record by far. Shut down the state for 2 weeks. It snows here but not often. Could go years without snow or maybe it might snow once or twice for a few years in a row. Almost always it melts within hours. Hot and humid? Oh, yeah! VERY! When I lived up north we'd finish the yard work by the end of October then wave goodbye to our neighbors until May. It's opposite here. You wave to your neighbors in May and don't come out until October.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:24 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

OK, for one of you smart guys out there. I understand on pneumatic brake bleeders the compressed air passes over a tube that causes suction. That's all I know (don't even know the name of this effect...Venturi?). Anyhow, my $8 Chinese Special pneumatic bleeder shot the end of the nozzle out and cracked the housing. The black piece has all those holes in the end. Do those holes serve a purpose in aiding suction? I wouldn't think so except I tried bleeding the brakes on the wife's Jeep and got nothing. There was at least a little suction at the nipple but didn't get any brake fluid.

I don't want to make this a Jeep thread but I am interested in getting this bleeder to work. I used this bleeder on my Dodge brakes and got both air and fluid. Didn't get the job done. Ended up doing a gravity bleed via Ralph's recommendation that got me 90% of the way then a two-man bleed to finish it off via HY's recommendation. I get nothing on the Wife's Jeep.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looks like its just some kind of restrictor.... which doesn't make any kind of sense.....

I recommend just doing the two-man (two-person??) thing, and calling it a day.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:43 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looks like its just some kind of restrictor.... which doesn't make any kind of sense.....

I recommend just doing the two-man (two-person??) thing, and calling it a day.
Well, I sorta relegated myself to a 2-man bleed but my curiosity about that pneumatic bleeder has triggered my OCD. I agree, that black thing makes no sense to me either. I try to think like the people who made the thing. For a measly $8 retail price, why would they unnecessarily add 19 cents of cost by including a part that serves no measurable purpose? UNLESS, there is a reason to.

Beats me!

Old 12-07-2021, 03:02 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

It's there to increase the velocity of the air to help boost the venturi effect.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
bronze (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:35 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
It's there to increase the velocity of the air to help boost the venturi effect.

RwP
So then I'm not out to lunch after all. Now I just have to secure that thing back on and give it another try. Thank you, Sir.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Put the little round feller back in there, put the pieces that hold it in place back on, super glue may work, just to hold it together. Then put a hose clamp around it, to keep it from blowing apart again.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:43 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I do it manually with one man. This is what I use. It fits over the bleeder shoulder where you put the wrench. Just pump slow. I put clean fluid in the bottom so I can tell when its coming through. The hole in the top is tight to the hose, slightly smaller actually so its real snug. You just have to have a flat spot so the container you use will stand on its own.

Quick Reply: Brakes