1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaking Power Steering Fluid '93 Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 10:58 AM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all this time it went in for inspection and failed for leaky Rack and Pinion. It was at AAA and I do trust them because before I thought I had a leaking transmission seal after the transmission got swapped and it turned out to be a leaking Transmission Filler Tube seal. 🤦🏼‍♀️ So I need to go back in this thread and find where I can get reman Rack and Pinions for it. Also failed for leaking muffler and rusted off hanger. What information do I need to locate a reman Rack?

Old 09-27-2022, 11:09 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
After all this time it went in for inspection and failed for leaky Rack and Pinion. It was at AAA and I do trust them because before I thought I had a leaking transmission seal after the transmission got swapped and it turned out to be a leaking Transmission Filler Tube seal. 🤦🏼‍♀️ So I need to go back in this thread and find where I can get reman Rack and Pinions for it. Also failed for leaking muffler and rusted off hanger. What information do I need to locate a reman Rack?
Our dearly departed and much admired Ralph who was a regular on the first gen threads here (not to mention a great source of information) always recommended RackDoctor for our 1st gen Dakotas. He swore by them.

https://shop.rackdoctor.net/

Old 09-27-2022, 11:18 AM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went back and looked that rackdoctor up, and everyone here is saying get inner AND outer tie rods as well? The racks come with inner just don't know if I might as well get the outers as well. Gonna have to save up for this. Trucks' gonna be out of commission for a bit.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

If it comes with inners..... Think I would just run with those, replacing the outers REALLY isn't a bad idea.... ALL of your steering parts will then be some semblance of 'new'..... Good steering always makes me smile.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:35 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
I went back and looked that rackdoctor up, and everyone here is saying get inner AND outer tie rods as well? The racks come with inner just don't know if I might as well get the outers as well. Gonna have to save up for this. Trucks' gonna be out of commission for a bit.
Well, if it were me I'd get new outer tie rods but I can speak only for myself. It's your wallet and not mine. I have no idea what shape your outers are in. If they're originals then I'd say if they're not shot they're at least close. But changing outers is not a hard job. But keep in mind you will have to get a front end alignment after changing out the rack and/or tie rods. So that adds $100ish to your job. If you get new outers right away you wont have to worry about having to spend another $100 for a front end alignment. At minimum, inspect your current tie rods and make sure those joints do not have play in them. If they do, you'll need new ones. I bought Proforged outer tie rods from Holley (another Ralph recommendation). So far so good. These were the ones for my '93 RWD. Check your Dakota to be sure they are the same.

https://www.holley.com/products/susp...arts/104-10120

Last edited by bronze; 09-27-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:36 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it comes with inners..... Think I would just run with those, replacing the outers REALLY isn't a bad idea.... ALL of your steering parts will then be some semblance of 'new'..... Good steering always makes me smile.
Where is your sense of adventure? Running into ditches and telephone poles can be fun!

Old 09-27-2022, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by bronze
Where is your sense of adventure? Running into ditches and telephone poles can be fun!
I gave the up for Lent a few years back.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:43 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

You must be getting old.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by bronze
You must be getting old.
Yeah, I hear it's hereditary.... I can blame it on my parents.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

How much Lent have you accumulated in your pockets since then?

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Fluid '93 Dakota V8