1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaking Power Steering Fluid '93 Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 11:41 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix;[url=tel:3553652
3553652[/url]]I returned the Cardone rack and pinion to RockAuto, I was fully prepared to use RackDoctor but I read the reviews and the reviews have been horrible in the last year or so. I guess the owner got into a motorcycle accident and hasn't been doing well with business in sending out Racks on time as well as returning people's core refunds. A lot of people claiming it taking months to get their money back or the pinions itself and some saying there never got their money back. So, I chose the Edelmann New and Redesigned Rack and Pinion which was about $298. I just got it in today and will be trying to do the install tomorrow with my dad. I got new hoses and new outer tie rods as well.

Now one more question before I start...the new tie rod end "boots" or pouch is not sealed. How do I seal them before putting in truck?? Does it do it itself when tightening down the castle nut? I don't know how to search this on YouTube. Thanks again for all the help.
That’s too bad about RackDoctor. I knew they moved to a new location about a year ago and it was delaying service but they felt it would be settled soon. Maybe he got in the accident about the same time and it was overwhelming him. That’s the problem with these small operations. They rely on one (or a few) person too much. They lose the one guy and the business goes in chaos mode.

Not completely sure I understand your boot question. But if it’s about how to wrap the boot around the tie rod you can try a large socket (or similar device such as a receiver cup in a ball joint press kit) that fits around the lip and tap down with a hammer to stretch it over the ball joint. I’ll have to look at mine tomorrow morning to see what I did. My memory is not what it once was.

The following users liked this post:
Stch_Fix (10-22-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 11:51 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
I returned the Cardone rack and pinion to RockAuto, I was fully prepared to use RackDoctor but I read the reviews and the reviews have been horrible in the last year or so. I guess the owner got into a motorcycle accident and hasn't been doing well with business in sending out Racks on time as well as returning people's core refunds. A lot of people claiming it taking months to get their money back or the pinions itself and some saying there never got their money back. So, I chose the Edelmann New and Redesigned Rack and Pinion which was about $298. I just got it in today and will be trying to do the install tomorrow with my dad. I got new hoses and new outer tie rods as well.

Now one more question before I start...the new tie rod end "boots" or pouch is not sealed. How do I seal them before putting in truck?? Does it do it itself when tightening down the castle nut? I don't know how to search this on YouTube. Thanks again for all the help.
Are you talking about the rack boot or the grease boot?

Old 10-22-2022, 04:05 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking about the boot/pouch you put grease in, right under where the castle screws on. It wasn't sealed on the new tie rod ends.

Me and my dad just got done putting it on around 2:30. We had started around 9:50 am. Some of it was a pain in the ***, but not totally frustrating to the point I am swearing, "needing a break from it" so I don't start throwing tools etc. I will get a pic of the tie rod ends so I can explain better later...

Again thank you all for your help. I got to go start a new thread because in the process of changing out the Rack somehow the damn brake line in the engine bay after the caliper brake line starting leaking majorly and I don't know where to find a replacement.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:20 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new tie rod ends, the boot that holds the grease, it kinda sits on the rest of it like a hat, it doesn't seem to be sealed like the previous one. Not sure if we did this wrong but when it came in the package it was just kinda floating there and exposed with grease in it and ready to accept dirt and other contamination. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Old 10-22-2022, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Yeah, they just kinda sit on there, and as the stud is tightened, it more or less seals against the rod end. It's basically just to keep dust/dirt/water out of the joint, so, if it isn't just flopping around on there, it should be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Stch_Fix (10-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Fluid '93 Dakota V8