1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaking Power Steering Fluid '93 Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
How much Lent have you accumulated in your pockets since then?
I find that more accumulates if I put my cigarette butts in my pocket, and forget about them on laundry day......

Old 09-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Where is your sense of adventure? Running into ditches and telephone poles can be fun!
Sadly, I don't need any help running into ditches, at least with my HRV. I just get stuck in the ditches with the Dakota. Damn me for wanting to randomly explore woods all the time. Lol.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:36 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it comes with inners..... Think I would just run with those, replacing the outers REALLY isn't a bad idea.... ALL of your steering parts will then be some semblance of 'new'..... Good steering always makes me smile.
Already in there, might as well haha

Old 09-28-2022, 11:46 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I find that more accumulates if I put my cigarette butts in my pocket, and forget about them on laundry day......

I've never tried but I don't think my butt will fit in many of my pockets.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Okay! Have been saving up money for the rack and pinion this month. Went through all the options and how much it all cost with each company (AutoZone, Rackdoctor, O'Reilly, etc) and Rockauto was still cheapest with getting everything I needed. I got the reman Cardone rack with hoses and outer tie rod ends as well. It recommends getting an in line filter but I have no idea what the hose diameter is yet so I couldn't get that. A few more questions! How do I know if I have a cooler or not? What does that look like? What all tools am I going to need to do this job? Should I use a power steering flush as well?
​​​​​​And finally, an unrelated question...does anyone know the typical diameter for the muffler on an LE with 5.2? I think it was asking for outlet diameter?? Is that the literal end of the muffler pipe or the one that attaches to the rest of the system (sorry that was probably a stupid question) I failed for leaky muffler too and want to see how much they are on Rockauto and get that rolling as well. This truck needs to get back on the road! There is a ton of muffler options on rock auto and I just have no clue what is mine.

Thanks for all the help!

Also, it appears it was leaking from the seals from where the bellows are for sure. My dad crawled under there and pulled them back and definitely loaded with fluid there.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:02 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
Okay! Have been saving up money for the rack and pinion this month. Went through all the options and how much it all cost with each company (AutoZone, Rackdoctor, O'Reilly, etc) and Rockauto was still cheapest with getting everything I needed. I got the reman Cardone rack with hoses and outer tie rod ends as well. It recommends getting an in line filter but I have no idea what the hose diameter is yet so I couldn't get that. A few more questions! How do I know if I have a cooler or not? What does that look like? What all tools am I going to need to do this job? Should I use a power steering flush as well?
​​​​​​And finally, an unrelated question...does anyone know the typical diameter for the muffler on an LE with 5.2? I think it was asking for outlet diameter?? Is that the literal end of the muffler pipe or the one that attaches to the rest of the system (sorry that was probably a stupid question) I failed for leaky muffler too and want to see how much they are on Rockauto and get that rolling as well. This truck needs to get back on the road! There is a ton of muffler options on rock auto and I just have no clue what is mine.

Thanks for all the help!

Also, it appears it was leaking from the seals from where the bellows are for sure. My dad crawled under there and pulled them back and definitely loaded with fluid there.
Yes, you need a rack n pinion. Perhaps I (we) didn't make it clear enough...price is not a good basis for buying parts and especially the rack n pinion. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but RockAuto sells remanufactured Cardone racks. Cardone is not particularly a favorite on these threads. Many issues...they don't last. This is why I (speaking for myself) recommended RackDoctor (which was recommended by the late Ralph who has used RackDoctor a few times on various automobiles). Yes, it may cost more but odds are it will last a lot longer than cardone. Cardone mass produces remans. If it is an obvious problem, they fix it. A place like RackDoctor will not only replace an obvious problem but they will replace high wear components as well whether they need it or not. That's why they last longer.

This is the power steering fluid filter I installed on my 1993 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L. It's a 3/8".
Amazon Amazon

Look at the power steering hoses on your truck. If both hoses go directly from the pump to the rack n pinion then you have no cooler. If they detour somewhere's else before they get to the rack then you have a cooler. If you want to see a picture look it up at RockAuto or other parts store website.

Because you will be draining out the fluid I would not worry about a flush. However, I do recommend the filter. Make sure you install it correctly. The flow arrow on the filter has to point in the direction of the flow of your power steering fluid. You cant just install it any ole way you want.

Last edited by bronze; 10-11-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:29 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Yes, you need a rack n pinion. Perhaps I (we) didn't make it clear enough. Price is not a good basis for buying parts and especially the rack n pinion. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but RockAuto sells remanufactured Cardone racks. Cardone is not particularly a favorite on these threads. Many issues...they don't last. This is why I (speaking for myself) recommended RackDoctor (which was recommended by the late Ralph who has used RackDoctor a few times on various automobiles). Yes, it may cost more but odds are it will last a lot longer than cardone. Cardone mass produces remans. If it is an obvious problem, they fix it. A place like RackDoctor will not only replace an obvious problem but they will replace high wear components as well whether they need it or not. That's why they last longer.

This is the power steering fluid filter I installed on my 1993 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L. It's a 3/8".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Look at the power steering hoses on your truck. If both hoses go directly to the rack n pinion then you have no cooler. If they detour somewhere's else before they get to the rack then you have a cooler. If you want to see a picture look it up at RockAuto or other parts store website.

Because you will be draining out the fluid I would not worry about a flush. However, I do recommend the filter. Make sure you install it correctly. The flow arrow on the filter has to point in the direction of the flow of your power steering fluid. You cant just install it any ole way you want.
Addendum:

There are 2 lines going in/out of the back of the power steering pump on my truck (I'm talking about the pump, not the rack). The filter goes on the upper line with the filter arrow pointing back to the pump. I do NOT have a cooler on my truck. If you do, then this info needs to be revised.

You should have checked if you had a cooler before purchasing hoses. It makes a difference in what hoses you need.

From my 93, 5.2L...

Old 10-21-2022, 10:43 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

I returned the Cardone rack and pinion to RockAuto, I was fully prepared to use RackDoctor but I read the reviews and the reviews have been horrible in the last year or so. I guess the owner got into a motorcycle accident and hasn't been doing well with business in sending out Racks on time as well as returning people's core refunds. A lot of people claiming it taking months to get their money back or the pinions itself and some saying there never got their money back. So, I chose the Edelmann New and Redesigned Rack and Pinion which was about $298. I just got it in today and will be trying to do the install tomorrow with my dad. I got new hoses and new outer tie rods as well.

Now one more question before I start...the new tie rod end "boots" or pouch is not sealed. How do I seal them before putting in truck?? Does it do it itself when tightening down the castle nut? I don't know how to search this on YouTube. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Oh, oops another question. If I do the flush, do I do that with the old rack and pinion still on or after it's been replaced?

Old 10-21-2022, 11:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
I returned the Cardone rack and pinion to RockAuto, I was fully prepared to use RackDoctor but I read the reviews and the reviews have been horrible in the last year or so. I guess the owner got into a motorcycle accident and hasn't been doing well with business in sending out Racks on time as well as returning people's core refunds. A lot of people claiming it taking months to get their money back or the pinions itself and some saying there never got their money back. So, I chose the Edelmann New and Redesigned Rack and Pinion which was about $298. I just got it in today and will be trying to do the install tomorrow with my dad. I got new hoses and new outer tie rods as well.

Now one more question before I start...the new tie rod end "boots" or pouch is not sealed. How do I seal them before putting in truck?? Does it do it itself when tightening down the castle nut? I don't know how to search this on YouTube. Thanks again for all the help.

The boots don't seal completely on the ends. Otherwise you couldn't adjust the steering alignment. I fought the front end on my PT Cruiser recently and the tie rod shafts spin easily in the boot. I'm sure yours is the same.

As for the flush, flush the power steering pump after you pull the old rack. Then install the rack and once you bleed the air, flush it again. Most likely the second flush will be superfluous but why take chances. If the instructions say different, follow the instructions.

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Fluid '93 Dakota V8