1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stubborn Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 02:15 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 433 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Stubborn Noise

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L Magnum, Auto Trans, RWD, 181,000 miles, original owner

The following is a list of repairs I've done since last summer.

New muffler and catalytic converter
Replaced all 3 driveshaft u-joints
Replaced all 4 balljoints
Replaced both tie rods (inner and outer)
Replaced sway bar bushings and end links.
Replaced all 4 brakes incl drums, rotors, pads, shoes, calipers, wheel cyls, hardware, brake hoses, some brake lines
Replaced front wheel bearings inner, outer, left, right
Replaced master cylinder
Replaced bumps stops front and rear
Replaced control arm bushings left, right, upper, lower
Replaced upper coil isolator
Replaced all 4 shocks
Replaced all 8 body mounts
Replaced both motor mounts
Replaced power steering pump w/hoses
Replaced up and low radiator hoses and both heater hoses with flush
Replaced valve cover gaskets
Throw in a couple front end alignments in-between

Most of the work was needed and some of it was "While I was there" and "While I'm young(er)". I have eliminated many clunks, creaks, crunches, pops, slaps, rattles, grinds and thuds. However, one (maybe two) remains and has been there long before I did these repairs. I cannot find the source to save my life. I even had two mechanics look for it to no avail. I try to pass it off as an "old truck", but truthfully I believe it could be worse than that. I sure would like to know what it is.

At very slow speeds (basically rolling speed without foot on the gas pedal) it will clank or creak fairly loud when I apply the brake or even when I turn. It comes alive in parking lots and drive thru lanes at Micky D's. Unnoticeable otherwise. Sounds like it's coming from the left front but you know how noises are. They travel from all over the place. It's not really a clunk. I think of a clunk as a baritone sound. This has a higher pitch...a clank or creak.

I'm plum out of ideas. About the only thing I haven't done is steering shaft, rack n pinion, brake booster, and spindles. Could just be a loose body part. Steering is tight and responsive so I doubt the shaft or rack. Don't have any symptoms of a bad brake booster. Spindle? Who knows! Never had one go bad on me. Is it possible the taper on the spindle gets out of wack? I also have what sounds like a tire rubbing on something while slow turning but it's not rubbing on anything. I can hear it "rotating" albeit not loud.

I'm about ready to get one of the Steelman wireless sound transmitter kits to see if I can pinpoint the noise. I hear those work pretty good but it is a risk at $230. I'd sell it when I was done with it because that's too much $$ for something rarely used. Has anyone ever used one of these?

Old 03-08-2022, 02:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I think there was a thread in the second gen ram section a while back, where a member used something similar, to track down a noise.... it's been a while ago though.... But, he seemed to think it was helpful....

Can you get someone else to drive the truck slowly, while you walk beside it, and listen for the odd noise? (someone you trust please. )

Old 03-08-2022, 03:13 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There is always the possibility for premature failure or even DOA parts. First I would go through all your work, make sure every single nut and bolt to everything is tight. Like everything, every suspension, brake and steering fastener, motor mounts, body fasteners.

Go through your work as if you haven't done the work that you've done and just re-check everything as if all the parts have 25 years and 200k on them. Jack up each side and give the wheels a real work out--wiggle from side to side and up and down with all your strength. Even use a big pry bar under the tire to leverage the tire up and see if there's any play or noises. It is unfortunately not uncommon for aftermarket parts to be of poor enough quality where they fail quickly.

If I had to guess, I'd bet a dollar on a wheel bearing/race being bad. I've had a similar failure symptom before where there was initial noise but the steering felt tight...it gradually got worse...it got REALLY bad and all the ***** just fell right out when I took the hub off (edit: 4wd). Stupid me for driving like that...but I was young.

Sorry if all of this is just telling everything you already know, but I figured I'd start there.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:37 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think there was a thread in the second gen ram section a while back, where a member used something similar, to track down a noise.... it's been a while ago though.... But, he seemed to think it was helpful....

Can you get someone else to drive the truck slowly, while you walk beside it, and listen for the odd noise? (someone you trust please. )
I’m impressed with the vids I’ve seen.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:49 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden;[url=tel:3539214
3539214[/url]]There is always the possibility for premature failure or even DOA parts. First I would go through all your work, make sure every single nut and bolt to everything is tight. Like everything, every suspension, brake and steering fastener, motor mounts, body fasteners.

Go through your work as if you haven't done the work that you've done and just re-check everything as if all the parts have 25 years and 200k on them. Jack up each side and give the wheels a real work out--wiggle from side to side and up and down with all your strength. Even use a big pry bar under the tire to leverage the tire up and see if there's any play or noises. It is unfortunately not uncommon for aftermarket parts to be of poor enough quality where they fail quickly.

If I had to guess, I'd bet a dollar on a wheel bearing/race being bad. I've had a similar failure symptom before where there was initial noise but the steering felt tight...it gradually got worse...it got REALLY bad and all the ***** just fell right out when I took the hub off (edit: 4wd). Stupid me for driving like that...but I was young.

Sorry if all of this is just telling everything you already know, but I figured I'd start there.
No, it’s a practical approach but it is different in my case. This particular noise has been around for a long time. Well before I did all those repairs I listed. I drive only 3K miles a year so for things to deteriorate it takes time on my truck.

However, to your point, if I go back I will likely pull the left spindle and give it a real close inspection. I didn’t notice any issues when I pulled it to replace ball joints or control arm bushings but then I didn’t look closely either. Perhaps one of the balljoint holes is out of round. Maybe the taper for the rotor mount is messed up and a race isn’t stable. It has to be something I did not replace and it seems to be at a point where a rotating portion of the wheel meets the rest of the truck. I may do that before getting the chassis ear.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:05 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder if there's some scrap of metal banging around inside a tire...lol.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:14 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

In case anyone is interested. First 10 mins explains it. Forget the rest…some chick changing the bearing. I learned the ear buds work much better than the speaker.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Do you still have the dust shields behind the rotors? I have had cases where they were VERY close, but, not touching when just sitting there.... but, put some side load on it, like, turning a corner..... and things would flex enough for the shield to contact the rotor, and make an interesting sound...

Old 03-08-2022, 10:03 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden;[url=tel:3539236
3539236[/url]]I wonder if there's some scrap of metal banging around inside a tire...lol.
At this point I would believe anything. Seriously!

I do rotate my tires every 6,000ish miles and I haven’t noticed the noise rotating. But again, noise can be a weird thing. It has a way of traveling

Old 03-08-2022, 10:06 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou;[url=tel:3539246
3539246[/url]]Do you still have the dust shields behind the rotors? I have had cases where they were VERY close, but, not touching when just sitting there.... but, put some side load on it, like, turning a corner..... and things would flex enough for the shield to contact the rotor, and make an interesting sound...
I don’t recall having dust shields HY but now that you bring this up I’m going to double check tomorrow. It’s a valid theory.

Quick Reply: Stubborn Noise