1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota w/5.2 Brake Line question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 04:11 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota w/5.2 Brake Line question

Just replaced the rack and pinion on the 93 Dakota and somehow during that, a brake line (not the one that goes directly to the caliper) starting majorly leaking brake fluid. It's the line on driver side that connects to the caliper brake line (if that helps). I don't know where to look the replace this line, RockAuto only has the caliper lines. I am hoping it doesn't have to be custom bent. Any help much appreciated!

Old 10-22-2022, 05:07 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix
Just replaced the rack and pinion on the 93 Dakota and somehow during that, a brake line (not the one that goes directly to the caliper) starting majorly leaking brake fluid. It's the line on driver side that connects to the caliper brake line (if that helps). I don't know where to look the replace this line, RockAuto only has the caliper lines. I am hoping it doesn't have to be custom bent. Any help much appreciated!
It's not the brake HOSE? Just the metal brake line?

If it's a metal brake line you can put in a patch. Try and get a photo first before I go on giving you more advice.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:09 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Metal brake line with the coil stuff around it. I see that there are entire brake line sets out there for 4WD but not RWD like mine is...still looking. I would eventually need to change out all metal lines.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:12 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Metal brake line with the coil stuff around it. I see that there are entire brake line sets out there for 4WD but not RWD like mine is...still looking. I would eventually need to change out all metal lines.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:27 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

That coil stuff is nothing more than a rock guard.

Here's the deal with brake lines on your truck. If you were to replace a brake line or brake hose it is highly likely you will bust the brake line when you go to remove the flare nut. Count on it. Then you will have to repair or replace the brake line depending on the situation. I have no idea how old your brake hoses are but if they're original you're likely on borrowed time. That said, it does not have to be a difficult job but you certainly can make it a major pain in the rumpus if you want. You simply need the right tools (not difficult) and the right parts (not difficult). And I'm not talking about preformed brake lines. You can make your own very easy using copper-nickle brake line. You will need to make your own double flare ends with a special tool. Again, NOT HARD TO DO! The special tool is a Titan Double Flare tool. Look it up on You Tube. Do not use any other tool. They don't work. And if you go that route, get back to me because there's a couple tips and tricks that will make it easy for you to make a good flare.

For now, tell me exactly where it is leaking from. Is it the metal line itself or is it at a connection? BTW, the brake hose is the hose that comes right off your caliper and connects to the hard metal brake line a couple feet away.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:12 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

It may be the connection...

This is the affected brake line.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:13 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Even if it might not be hard to bend/make my own lines, is it possible to also find preformed? I still think I would want to go the preformed route...

Old 10-22-2022, 08:32 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix;[url=tel:3553689
3553689]Even if it might not be hard to bend/make my own lines, is it possible to also find preformed? I still think I would want to go the preformed route...
Did you say that was a 1993?

I could probably make you that line. It attaches to the left front brake hose and runs to a small metal junction block below, correct? Maybe a couple feet long?

Last edited by bronze; 10-22-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:36 PM
Stch_Fix
Amateur

Yes, a 3 way junction at the bottom and attaches to driver side caliper hose. All my brake lines are rusted and a guy who worked on my truck said they can go at any time as well. This is why I am like screw it time to replace them.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:50 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Stch_Fix;[url=tel:3553693
3553693[/url]]Yes, a 3 way junction at the bottom and attaches to driver side caliper hose. All my brake lines are rusted and a guy who worked on my truck said they can go at any time as well. This is why I am like screw it time to replace them.
Well, I could easily make that metal brake line for you and send it to you. You’ll need to get yourself a new brake hose cuz good chance that one is shot and the cause of your problem. You’d detach from your caliper to the junction box and replace the whole stretch.

That will get you by till you decide to do the rest of the truck. I don’t know if you can find preformed brake lines. Guessing no. But truthfully, you can make your own and it’s not hard using copper-nickle line. All hand bendable.

Check your brake fluid level frequently. Don’t let it get too low.

If you want to fix that one line let me know and I’ll make it for you. No big deal.

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota w/5.2 Brake Line question