1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 10:52 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Here’s what you need to make your own brake lines. You can probably get a kit that includes the copper-nickle line with fittings. The tool is separate. Do not get any other tool. The Titan is the only way to go. Trust me. There are a couple useful tips on using that tool. Watch some you tube vids how to use it. Get back to me if this is the route you go.

4LIFETIMELINES Non Magnetic, True Copper-Nickel Brake Line Tubing Coil - 3/16" x 25' (.028" Wall Thickness) https://a.co/d/ihz7UEA

MuHize Brake Line Fittings - 18 Pieces 3/8' - 24 Threads Fittings Assortment for 3/16' Brake Line Tube (6 Unions, 12 Nuts)

https://a.co/d/Titan 51535 3/16-Inch Double Flaring Tool https://a.co/d/6eOOAuA

Old 01-25-2023, 07:08 AM
Jhmanning3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 Dakota that needs new brake lines front to back. I found a website that sells stainless pre-bent complete brake line kits for the standard cab long bed 4X4 version. Certainly not cheap, but I'm hopeful it goes on quickly.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/sdkb9201

Old 01-25-2023, 08:33 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jhmanning3
I have a 92 Dakota that needs new brake lines front to back. I found a website that sells stainless pre-bent complete brake line kits for the standard cab long bed 4X4 version. Certainly not cheap, but I'm hopeful it goes on quickly.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/sdkb9201
That's a fair price but I'm cheap and would still make my own. One because I could do it for less than half the price, two, I have the option of making only the lines I need with no waste, and three, I know it will fit.

The following users liked this post:
zacgarlew (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Copper-Nickle is the material that can be bent by hand. Steel tube requires tools. You can bend copper line by hand as well but copper line is cheesy if you ask me.
I have hand bent steel lines for decades. Gotta be real careful not to kink them, but, it is certainly doable.

Having the tool to bend them is safer, and makes for nicer bends though. They aren't all that expensive, and if you work on your own stuff, having one is a good idea.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:32 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have hand bent steel lines for decades. Gotta be real careful not to kink them, but, it is certainly doable.

Having the tool to bend them is safer, and makes for nicer bends though. They aren't all that expensive, and if you work on your own stuff, having one is a good idea.
Dodge added that spring-looking rock guard to their steel lines. On my '93 anyway. Geez, what a pain that stuff is. I played with the old steel line that I replaced. It's tough to be sure. But yeah, I think you need to be experienced to hand bend that stuff. Weekend warriors like me would have a learning curve that makes it prohibitive. That copper-nickel stuff seems to be a compromise between the steel and copper line. You kinda get the benefits of both. Fairly tough plus easy to work with (bend). And it doesn't rust...not that one would worry about that on a truck that is already 30 years old. I remember when I broke my brake lines. My immediate reaction was, "Oh, crap!". Figured it would be a pain to find a replacement brake line. So I was happy to eventually find the nickel copper and Titan flare tool. Made very easy work out of it. I still used sockets and paint cans to bend in certain areas but I didn't really need them. I just get **** about things sometimes.

zacgarlew (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:38 AM
zacgarlew
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My reaction when I broke it was, "no big deal, I'll just order one at the parts store." How naive haha. I believe my final verdict for now is getting the line and seeing if the parts store has a tool i can rent to bend it.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Dodge added that spring-looking rock guard to their steel lines. On my '93 anyway. Geez, what a pain that stuff is. I played with the old steel line that I replaced. It's tough to be sure. But yeah, I think you need to be experienced to hand bend that stuff. Weekend warriors like me would have a learning curve that makes it prohibitive. That copper-nickel stuff seems to be a compromise between the steel and copper line. You kinda get the benefits of both. Fairly tough plus easy to work with (bend). And it doesn't rust...not that one would worry about that on a truck that is already 30 years old. I remember when I broke my brake lines. My immediate reaction was, "Oh, crap!". Figured it would be a pain to find a replacement brake line. So I was happy to eventually find the nickel copper and Titan flare tool. Made very easy work out of it. I still used sockets and paint cans to bend in certain areas but I didn't really need them. I just get **** about things sometimes.
I always hated that spring guard stuff. The only thing it accomplished was collecting dirt/moisture and holding it against the line, so it would rust out faster. I don't think I have ever seen a brake line that was compromised by a rock or something hitting it...... and I've been doin' this a LONG time.

zacgarlew (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:56 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I always hated that spring guard stuff. The only thing it accomplished was collecting dirt/moisture and holding it against the line, so it would rust out faster. I don't think I have ever seen a brake line that was compromised by a rock or something hitting it...... and I've been doin' this a LONG time.
You just confirmed what I had suspected.

zacgarlew (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:57 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zacgarlew
My reaction when I broke it was, "no big deal, I'll just order one at the parts store." How naive haha. I believe my final verdict for now is getting the line and seeing if the parts store has a tool i can rent to bend it.
Is it a pre-made line?

Old 01-25-2023, 11:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is it a pre-made line?
Yeah, the stuff at the parts store is straight lines, in various lengths, with either standard, or metric flare nuts on 'em. More often than not, they are the coated steel lines. (I like the coating, that actually DOES what it is supposed to. )

Quick Reply: Rear brake lines