1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 07:50 PM
zacgarlew
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear brake lines

I was replacing the wheel cylinder on my driver side rear and when disconnecting the brake like, it twisted the line off and broke it. I cannot find replacements for them online anywhere. I figured I would go to a U Pull It and remove one from a truck there, but how do I stop it from twisting the line like I did on this one? All I did was unscrew the line from the wheel cylinder. Any help or info on where to purchase one (maybe I'm looking up the wrong part name?) Or how to remove the line without breaking it would be immensely appreciated!!

96 Dodge Dakota 5.2, 4wd

Old 01-24-2023, 08:14 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by zacgarlew
I was replacing the wheel cylinder on my driver side rear and when disconnecting the brake like, it twisted the line off and broke it. I cannot find replacements for them online anywhere. I figured I would go to a U Pull It and remove one from a truck there, but how do I stop it from twisting the line like I did on this one? All I did was unscrew the line from the wheel cylinder. Any help or info on where to purchase one (maybe I'm looking up the wrong part name?) Or how to remove the line without breaking it would be immensely appreciated!!

96 Dodge Dakota 5.2, 4wd
I don't think you can find a brake line to buy. Make your own. But before you do, consider this...there is a very good chance you will twist the line and break it no matter where you're removing the line. Ask me how I know. So, that said, first decide if you plan on removing the line on more than just the one wheel cylinder. If you do, then figure you will bust them. In that case, I will be happy to walk you through how to make your own, professional grade brake lines plus installation tips to spare you headaches. It's really not hard to do at all and inexpensive. However, if you want to replace only this one line then I can make you one and send it to you. You'll have to give me length specs. And you will need to remove the other end (I assume it goes into a metal block near the differential) first to ensure you don't wreck something there as well.

As you consider things, consider if you want/need to change the other wheel cylinder or other brake hoses. Being a '96, there's a good chance you're on borrowed time with those brake hoses. Personally, I would recommend you make your own brake line(s) AND replace your brake hoses. Takes about $100 for tools and materials and you can make brake lines to your heart's content. Brake hoses cost another $20ish each and I'm guessing you have three of them (front left, front right, rear).

The following users liked this post:
zacgarlew (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:30 PM
zacgarlew

I was actually planning on taking it to the shop to have a brake job done, I was just waiting on having enough money to do so, but then I come outside and there was a pile of break fluid by my driver side rear tire. After some research I found out it was the wheel cylinder (again my knowledge is minimal).

You're probably right about needing to replace them both, if one went the other is bound to soon as well. Since I can't buy the line, I may just drive my secondary truck (a piece of junk 06 Dakota) and have the 96 towed to the shop when I can afford to have everything done on it.

I will keep what you said in my head and stew on it for a bit, but I suppose I'll call the shop tomorrow and see what they are able to do and what cost. I may send you a message and get more details.

​​​​​​I thank you for the info and help!

Old 01-24-2023, 08:39 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zacgarlew;[url=tel:3559288
3559288[/url]]I was actually planning on taking it to the shop to have a brake job done, I was just waiting on having enough money to do so, but then I come outside and there was a pile of break fluid by my driver side rear tire. After some research I found out it was the wheel cylinder (again my knowledge is minimal).

You're probably right about needing to replace them both, if one went the other is bound to soon as well. Since I can't buy the line, I may just drive my secondary truck (a piece of junk 06 Dakota) and have the 96 towed to the shop when I can afford to have everything done on it.

I will keep what you said in my head and stew on it for a bit, but I suppose I'll call the shop tomorrow and see what they are able to do and what cost. I may send you a message and get more details.

​​​​​​I thank you for the info and help!
Your call. I’d like to think your mechanic can make brake lines if he needed to but these days anymore I’m not sure. The versatility of mechanics has diminished over recent times.

No need to fear making your own brake lines. It’s not difficult in the least. And again, I would be glad to send you one line if it helps get you by in the short term. Not positive I have two flare nuts but I think I do.

zacgarlew (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:55 PM
zacgarlew

Well I suppose it can't hurt to ask how to go about making them. I'll take any info you have. For professional grade or for just a patch to get me through until I can take it to the shop.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You can buy line in various lengths at the local parts store, and they should be able to get you one with the correct nuts already on it, Get one a bit longer than what you actually need, and just hand bend it to fit. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work. Careful bending the line though. You want gentle bends when doing it by hand, you don't want to kink the line. That makes them useless.

zacgarlew (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 09:38 PM
zacgarlew

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can buy line in various lengths at the local parts store, and they should be able to get you one with the correct nuts already on it, Get one a bit longer than what you actually need, and just hand bend it to fit. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work. Careful bending the line though. You want gentle bends when doing it by hand, you don't want to kink the line. That makes them useless.
I went the the parts store and they seemed oblivious as to how to help. They showed me some straight, hard line they had that had the right nuts on it but they said I couldn't bend it. Is the line that you're talking about the straight hard line?

And so as long as it gets the fluid from point A to point B I'm good to go?

Old 01-24-2023, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yep, that's the line. I bend that stuff on a regular basis. (well, ok, not so much any more.....) They may have a tool for bending it that they might rent you. Or sell you one cheap...... I have used the tool, and it makes nicer bends, but, in a pinch, hand bending works too. It just isn't as pretty. Why they are telling you that you can't bend it is a mystery to me..... How do they think you are supposed to install it? I haven't seen even ONE line that was a straight shot from end to end.......

zacgarlew (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 09:49 PM
zacgarlew

At least my lack of knowledge is somewhat understandable... but not only 1 but 2 employees there told me this. Glad this forum exists! I'm going to go up there tomorrow and get some. Thank you for your help!

Old 01-24-2023, 10:43 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Copper-Nickle is the material that can be bent by hand. Steel tube requires tools. You can bend copper line by hand as well but copper line is cheesy if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Rear brake lines