1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'92 Dakota 360 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

How about posting some pics of the bores? If you still have good cross hatch and no major wear you don't need to get it bored out. If the block is straight and no pitting etc you don't need it.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:01 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Was the motor running when you got it? Do you know why it was pulled? If it was overheated or ran without oil etc. A machine shop really needs to go through it.
If it was a running motor out of a wreck, again, IMO your chances of a light hone, rings, bearings etc are much better.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

The machine shop should check everything, before they recommend what needs to be done. If things are within tolerance, just clean 'em up, and run with it.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:27 AM
joshmanhoff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
How about posting some pics of the bores? If you still have good cross hatch and no major wear you don't need to get it bored out. If the block is straight and no pitting etc you don't need it.
I'll see if I can get some pictures from my dad, engines at home and I'm at school still. Cylinders 1 and 8 had open valves so they got crusty and cylinder 8 actually froze the piston, had to work it with some sand paper and oil to get it to break free.

I bought the engine from someone who pulled it from a junkyard to throw it into a Dakota actually, I believe he said it was pulled out of a wrecked full size, not entirely sure, but it was sitting outside for a year hence the rust.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:35 PM
joshmanhoff
Professional

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 5

Cylinder 6

Cylinder 7

Cylinder 8 is the worst by far, this is the one that the piston was stuck in, stopping the ability to turn the engine over by hand.

Here is the block as a hole.

Old 03-24-2024, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doesn't look too bad...... It doesn't take much rust to stop a piston from moving. I would go after the cylinder bores with some PB Blaster, and steel wool, to clean 'em up, then mic 'em out, see what the bore measurements look like. You might be able to get away with just a good hone.

Old 03-24-2024, 02:46 PM
joshmanhoff
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Doesn't look too bad...... It doesn't take much rust to stop a piston from moving. I would go after the cylinder bores with some PB Blaster, and steel wool, to clean 'em up, then mic 'em out, see what the bore measurements look like. You might be able to get away with just a good hone.
Sounds like a plan, I’m going to be going home April 13th so I’ll poke at it then, I’ll send some pictures after it’s done to get another opinion. Would I be able to mic them at home or would it be easier to just take it to the shop?

Last edited by joshmanhoff; 03-24-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's not a friday is it???

If you have the measuring tools, it's a piece of cake. Need a bore gauge, and I think 3-4 inch micrometer. You *might* be able to rent them from your local parts store.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:05 PM
joshmanhoff
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's not a friday is it???

If you have the measuring tools, it's a piece of cake. Need a bore gauge, and I think 3-4 inch micrometer. You *might* be able to rent them from your local parts store.
Haha no it’s a Saturday, if it was I wouldn’t be touching that motor lol.

I can probably find them at harbor freight I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to have those tools, won’t be the last engine I rebuild of course!

Old 03-25-2024, 12:04 PM
joshmanhoff
Professional

Does anyone know if headers from a second gen will fit my setup? I'm looking to replace the stock manifold, honestly more just for sound and appearance, but I can't find any for a 92 v8, only a second gen. These headers say they are for a 96-03, so would they still work with the 92? I don't think there's a crazy difference between the two exhaust wise.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JBA/578/1945S...RoCoyMQAvD_BwE

I would looooooove to run long tubes but with the truck being a 4x4, there's basically no space.

Quick Reply: '92 Dakota 360 Swap